• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dono12b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Just stopping In to show off my new to me WASR 10 if you add up everything I traded for it I’ve got about $800 into it at this point. I thought I was getting a pretty good deal. Anyone have any suggestions on hand guards? I want to ditch the wood. Also stock options for this I’m not a huge fan of the folder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      927.6 KB · Views: 63

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Nice weapon you've got there. I remember when you could pick them up (not underfolder) for 300 bucks if you caught a sale at dunhams. Wish i could have that opportunity again.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    You're not completely stuck with the folder as there are options out there, but it's going to be cheaper and easier for you to sell it and buy one with a stock. I've turned down really good prices because they were under folders.

Dono12b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    Indianapolis
    You're not completely stuck with the folder as there are options out there, but it's going to be cheaper and easier for you to sell it and buy one with a stock. I've turned down really good prices because they were under folders.
    Well that’s kinda a bummer I don’t totally hate it but I’m damn sure not in loveeee with it lol.

Dono12b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Nice weapon you've got there. I remember when you could pick them up (not underfolder) for 300 bucks if you caught a sale at dunhams. Wish i could have that opportunity again.
    That’s crazy to think. I wasn’t able to buy firearms at this time but when I was I remember buying a smith and Wesson m &p sport 2 for just under $700 I thought that was a pretty good deal... then.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Well that’s kinda a bummer I don’t totally hate it but I’m damn sure not in loveeee with it lol.
    How's it fire and how are the sights on it? When those were everywhere there was a lot of them with canted sights and issues. If its good you may want to keep it instead of risking issues with another romanian ak. Also if you plan on modifying it you may want to look up the laws. If memory serves me right you have to put american made parts on it? I cant remember as well as i get older but I remember the origin of aftermarket parts played into it somehow.

Dono12b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    Indianapolis
    How's it fire and how are the sights on it? When those were everywhere there was a lot of them with canted sights and issues. If its good you may want to keep it instead of risking issues with another romanian ak. Also if you plan on modifying it you may want to look up the laws. If memory serves me right you have to put american made parts on it? I cant remember as well as i get older but I remember the origin of aftermarket parts played into it somehow.
    I heard about the canted sights these look pretty straight to me. But I’m not a professional and I don’t have 20/20. Haven’t shot it yet but I will update you when I do hopefully this weekend lol. The main thing I want to do is swap the hand gaurd on it

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Had a WASR with a canted front sight. Removed the front sight pins, smacked the front sight with a mallet, checked alignment and put the pins back in. Also installed a TAPCO G2 trigger.

Purchased the WASR at McDonalds Gun Shop for $350. Crazy how much they have gone up in price.

Dono12b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Anyone have any tips for the rattle can paint removal? I mean my hands are rubbing it off for the most part but I really didn’t wanna be green and tan lol

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'd say you did good. It's crazy how much these have gone up in price, but they are good weapons and well worth $800, IMO. if brake cleaner doesn't do the job, I imagine some paint thinner would clean that "custom" paint job right off.

I've never owned an AK, but back in college my buddy bought a WASR at Dunham's for $300, and we shot the snot out of that thing. Never had a problem with it, even with the ridiculous drum mag he bought.

Those were the days...cheap mil-surps and abundant steel case ammo. I wish I'd grabbed one then, but that was a lot of money to a kid fresh out of college, newly married, and just barely getting by.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Nice buy these days. Usually the underfolders are more expensive than the fixed wood stock models.

Many ways to remove the paint. Either as stated earlier, or any paint stripper. I believe the original finish from the factory should not be hurt by any paint remover.

As for the wood handguards, any guards made for Euro rifles will work. The only thing to remember is the tolerances on any AKM is so wide that usually replacement furniture will need a little fitting to ... fit. :)

I wouldn't worry about the pistol grip as many paint removers might damage the plastic grip. There are zillions of versions of grips for the AK/AKM and many are very affordable. You can even find the Century USA made black grips very cheaply as many people take them off and are willing to part with them for a couple of dollars.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I remember when you could pick them up (not underfolder) for 300 bucks if you caught a sale at dunhams. Wish i could have that opportunity again.
    I felt like an overpaying sucker for spending $650 on one in Feb 2020.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Nice feature on the WASR is the original factory hard-chrome lined, hammer-forged Romanian barrel. Mine had a muzzle nut tack welded onto the end of the barrel. Only took a minute with a Dremmel tool to get it off. The original metric threads were missing, so I used a 1/2x28 die and bore guide to thread it. Installed a muzzle adapter, plunger & spring and AK-74 style muzzle brake. Ended up giving that rifle to my Dad as a Christmas present.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I do miss the days of $99 sks and 1000 rd of surplus ammo $80 . I paid $600 wasr 3 years ago it shoots good under folder stock is ok but if I was going to shoot it a lot I would get something else.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Nice WASR UF! I'm a big fan of the Romanian guns, and honestly just about any issue on any AK regardless of country of origin can be worked out relatively easily. At the end of the day a $3,000+ Krebs gun isn't going to shoot much better than a lowly beat up and broken in WASR. Any slight cants are easily countered by a windage adjustable front sight, and most AKs require at least a bit of adjustment using a front sight post tool. A WASR-10 was my first AK and remains one of my favorite and most reliable guns.

Paint - no big deal other than looking like trash on yours. Others have mentioned some good tips, but if it's flaking off in your hands you might try a heat gun and some old rags to wipe off the rest of the stuff. I'd remove the handguards and grip, take down all the parts, and hit every nook and cranny with heat to make sure you reach as much paint as possible.

Handguards - literally tons of aftermarket options. Wood, plastic, metal; skeltonized, quad railed, M-LOKed - there's something for every shooter and situation. If you don't like wood, check out polymer Magpul stuff or aluminum options from Zenitco, Midwest Industries, RS Regulate, Troy, Texas Weapon Systems, etc. etc. Since you're rocking an underfolder I'd also consider an Ultimak forward optic mount, which combines the AK gas tube and upper handguard to give you a nice picatinny scout mount setup. Do an internet photo search for "AK handguards" and find something that appeals to you.

Stock - underfolders are polarizing, kinda like tequila. Most folks either love them (me) or hate them (nerds). Obviously the underfolder has some clear pros in terms of portability, but a common con is that it's uncomfortable on the cheek. The guys who complain about this also tend to complain that AKs are too heavy ;) Without some heavy modification your underfolder alternatives are slim. And if you hate the stock I'd suggest trying to trade it for a fixed stock AK instead of heavily bubbaing the gun you have. A few companies make cheek rests/risers that fit between the folding stock rails, but these generally have to be removed if you want to fold the stock. An easier and far more common "hack" is to simply wrap the rail that touches your face with paracord. You can also add a bit of pipe insulation if you want to raise your cheek weld just a bit. Lots of handy YT how-tos on this.

Cleaning rod - you didn't specifically ask about this, but in my humble opinion AKs look goofy as hell without a cleaning rod. Your WASR appears to be a ban state variant with the ground down bayonet lug, but you can still buy a cheap cleaning rod and run it through the small hole in the lug.

Of course everything used to be cheaper, but in January 2021 I say you got a fair if not downright good deal on this thing.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Was dong some checking, comparing and a few other things back when I was looking for an AK. Bradis had one that I was getting ready to pull the trigger on and Sandy Hook happened.
    Got down there and the one I wanted was gone.
    Was up in Muncie Dec. 31 doing some inspection work that same year and got a WASR at the Dunhams that used to be by the Marsh that used to be by the Rural King for $499 with their end of the month $50 discount. It had all the right things that I read about to look for and I really like it.
    And really glad I got it when I did.

Top Bottom