Not open for further replies.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    Welcome

Is there anything in particular you're interested in? What's your living situation (in an apartment or house)? Other people?

At 18 you have a wide range of options in shotguns and rifles. Handguns are more limited. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) in Indiana it is legal to possess and carry a handgun with a license, but it has to be acquired though a private party sale which can be intimidating as a first time buyer. You can't buy a handgun from a dealer or gun store until you're 21, therefore based on what little I know I would reccomend either an AR pattern rifle or pump shotgun. Really depends on the situation though.

peytonriddle

The Man
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Blackford County
    Welcome

Is there anything in particular you're interested in? What's your living situation (in an apartment or house)? Other people?

At 18 you have a wide range of options in shotguns and rifles. Handguns are more limited. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) in Indiana it is legal to possess and carry a handgun with a license, but it has to be acquired though a private party sale which can be intimidating as a first time buyer. You can't buy a handgun from a dealer or gun store until you're 21, therefore based on what little I know I would reccomend either an AR pattern rifle or pump shotgun. Really depends on the situation though.
    I just graduated High School, I still live with my mom and stepdad (who are both felons). I just started an apprenticeship for plumbing and I make good money for just starting out but not enough right now to move out on my own. I bought a small handgun safe because if you have felons in your house you can have guns, they just have to be locked up and the felons can’t have access to them. I also have a license to carry and have been researching gun safety for about two years. I used to have a Ruger EC9 I carried that I had bought off a friend but had to get rid of it. I would like to purchase a handgun, but i’m not sure where to start. I’m not sure if I could buy one at a gun show even if the seller isn’t a licensed dealer, and I can’t have one gifted from a parent for previously stated reasons. I’m looking for something that’s affordable and reliable. I could spend around 400-600 give or take a few dollars. I like Glocks because while sometimes the prices are crazy some models are more affordable and sometimes you can find a good deal, they’re also known to be reliable. If anyone could point me in the right direction It would be greatly appreciated.

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    As long as your 18 you can go to any FFl and buy any rifle or shotgun you want. I’d recommend looking for a good .22 to start. As for handguns, Indiana used to allow persons under 21 to buy through private sale. Would have to research it to see if it’s still allowed.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    The Smith and Wesson M&P series, Glocks, and Sig are usually the go-to guns in this situation. M&P gen 2s are really nice guns. Glocks have a lot of aftermarket support and magazines are cheap, but they handle differently from more traditional handguns and some people don't like how they feel. Sig makes nice guns and the 320 series would be a good fit. You'll need to decide whether you wanr a subcompact, compact, or full size. All 3 of these series have something in each category.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    Welcome and Sorry about what happened.
    Please get some training while you are learning about guns. Also please keep check on your mental health as well. Trauma has a nasty way of sneaking up on you mentally. But you made a great choice coming here and I think you will learn a lot!

peytonriddle

The Man
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Blackford County
    Welcome and Sorry about what happened.
    Please get some training while you are learning about guns. Also please keep check on your mental health as well. Trauma has a nasty way of sneaking up on you mentally. But you made a great choice coming here and I think you will learn a lot!
    Thanks! It definitely doesn’t bother me much I didn’t know him very well but the situation did make me think and have interest in gun ownership.

peytonriddle

The Man
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Blackford County
    The Smith and Wesson M&P series, Glocks, and Sig are usually the go-to guns in this situation. M&P gen 2s are really nice guns. Glocks have a lot of aftermarket support and magazines are cheap, but they handle differently from more traditional handguns and some people don't like how they feel. Sig makes nice guns and the 320 series would be a good fit. You'll need to decide whether you wanr a subcompact, compact, or full size. All 3 of these series have something in each category.
    Thanks, I’ll have to look into these. I’ve always been interested in Glock because they’re so popular but the fact they don’t have a traditional safety does steer me away. I would want to be more comfortable carrying before carrying without a safety.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Nope. Was raised by my grandma and she’s completely against guns and also my only family member who isn’t a felon. I’ve done lots of research and did carry a gun for a short time and never had issues.
    I hope you learn and follow all the rules of gun safety and also learn and obey all the laws. As someone who didn't grow up with a good mentor, you should consider structured classes regarding firearms. The sooner, the better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom