• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2023
    Warren County
    I’m finally to the point where I feel it is necessary to CC and I’ve tried watching and reading reviews on various holsters. I recently purchased a P365XL and I’m looking to carry at 3-4. I’ve heard many mixed reviews on Alien Gear. I personally love the idea of having retention as I am a mildly active person who has kids who are very active. Thank you guys/gals in advance.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I use a Vedder LightTuck for my S & W Shield. I also use a belt from Daltech. The holster has the 'claw' which pushes the gun butt close to me so I don't print wearing a polo shirt. The belt is thick enough so I don't get any sag, yet the holster clips on with minor effort and is secure.

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    My body type doesn’t agree with IWB. (Read - chubby) I’ve been a 3 o’clock paddle holster guy for decades.

I know there are theories regarding function, but I’ve liked the Blackhawk Serpa for years with various carry pistols. Slim profile and the retention that you are seeking. I’m currently carrying an Sig 365 Macro in one and it’s been great.

For reference - I do own an Aliengear IWB. No complaints, just need to lose a few pounds to make it realistic. And I really think about the retention should I need to get physical in any way.

Good luck! Soon you’ll have a box full of holsters like the rest of us!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    @yotebutcher90 (tagging for you to find this easier)

Talk to Stephen out at Proteq. He makes custom holsters and is really good at it.

If you are free on 6/3, stop by and chat with him about it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Crossbreed is solid. But dont pay extra for the combat cut if you are handy. They dont cut enough off and charge you more for using a different die to punch out the leather.

Cut it down yourself. its not hard. I paid for the cut and STILL had to take more off to get a good grip from the start.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thank you all. [mention]Cameramonkey [/mention]helped aid in recovering my old account.
    Quite welcome.
    And that tagging oddly didnt work. Next time try the new fangled twitter-ish way. @[username]

You may be thinking of how it used to work before Fenway sold the board to Texkev and he upgraded to a different software during the migration.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Crossbreed is solid. But dont pay extra for the combat cut if you are handy. They dont cut enough off and charge you more for using a different die to punch out the leather.

Cut it down yourself. its not hard. I paid for the cut and STILL had to take more off to get a good grip from the start.
    I always tend to buy them on Crossbreed Seconds myself. Yep, I'm cheap.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Alien Gear and Vedder are straight trash, homie. They prey upon the un-learned and ignorant with their HUGE marketing campaigns.

A small section of ABSOLUTELY excellent holsters you should look at, in no particular order: Henry Holster, Harry's Holsters, HolsterCo, Phlster, Dark Star Gear, Tenicore, Keeper's Concealment. Maybe even Raven Concealment but I'm not sure they make for the 365. I'm not 100% sure all the others I've mentioned do, either, but it's worth looking through their websites.

You'll also probably come across "married" holsters - those with an attached mag caddy. Those holsters are 1-trick ponies, so to speak. They also fatigue at the joint/s (Which is why some are shock-corded together) at a much higher rate than other holsters fatigue. And those married holsters, with as big as they are, can interfere with the normal movement of the hips and legs (which is what causes said plastic fatigue).

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Alien Gear and Vedder are straight trash, homie. They prey upon the un-learned and ignorant with their HUGE marketing campaigns.

I strongly disagree, I have owned, and worn an Alien Gear holster for going on 10 years. I, too am overweight, and it is absolutely comfortable, and if you change guns, simply send back the shell, and trade for a new one (gun) As an aside, I have the leather backing holster which has worn well, YMMV

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wouldnt call Alien trash. just sub-par. Now Uncle Mike's on the other hand... :):

My one foray into Alien I ordered a OWB for my 1911. It arrived and you could see the trigger clearly while it was holstered. Unsafe. I emailed them photos and they agreed that it was not made properly, and it was covered by their guarantee. I returned it and they refunded me my money without offering to replace it.

After they received it, they emailed me again stating they were terribly sorry, and would be making me another. This time, free of charge.

3 weeks passed and no holster. I responded to their email again and asked when I would have it. I was told their turnaround time was currently 2 weeks. (In hindsight I think this was a hurried rep thinking I had bought a holster and was impatient. I dont think they read their email to me in the conversation.)

3 weeks passed and I inquired again where my free holster was. Crickets.

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I decided to go ahead and try the Alien Gear as I found the kit for a great deal. There was a video of a “larger” guy from Alien Gear showing how he carry’s and what he cannot do. If I don’t like it, then I will move on from there.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    unIj11y.jpg

With holsters you definitely get what you pay for , for your exact gun and carry location I love my Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. To say this is miles ahead of anything Alien Gear makes would be an understatement.

I will add after carrying a P365 using this holster since the gun was released in 2018 there are no retention issues. Running , hiking whatever the gun stays locked into the holster.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Alien Gear and Vedder are straight trash, homie. They prey upon the un-learned and ignorant with their HUGE marketing campaigns
    Meh, I have a couple Vedder holsters. One I really like and another two that are ok. They are as good as anything else I've used. I will say their owb paddle holster isn't the greatest. A standard Fobus works better. Never tried Alien Gear as their stuff just looks like a gimmick.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    LAS Concealment or Tier 1 Concealment are good go tos for something popular like a P365. I think T1C is flatter but the LAS clicks in better.

JM Custom Kydex can make almost anything, but they do have a wait time. Phlster is the opposite, limited models but ships super quick. You got the duality of kydex makers with those two :hehe:

Tenicor is also a great choice for a P365, but only if they have it in stock. I personally don't use their stuff anymore, but that's just because they support limited models.

Odin/Eclipse/saw-it-on-social-media-brand are usually ok, price is about the same as brands above, wait time is sometimes longer. Just not as much bang for the buck in my opinion.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    It's been years since I stopped trying to carry IWB comfortably. I know back when I was looking into them, AlienGear didn't have a great reputation.

I suppose my general advice is to ensure good trigger guard coverage and don't go cheap.

Top Bottom