• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkholmes

Plinker
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    So, I guess the title is half right. My dad and I used to use precussion cap muzzle loaders to deer hunt when I was a kid. I've recently picked one up to expand my deer season a bit. I picked up a Traditions Deerhunter precussion muzzleloader (in .50 cal). I figure it will get me started for now. Don't want to go the in-line route or anything.

Anyways, I noticed that I can't seem to find how many grains of powder to use. I don't remember how much to use specifically (for some reason the number 95 grains comes to mind), and I'm trying to find the charts on how much powder to use.

Anyone able to give me a bit of direction? The powder I'm using is Hodgden Pyrodex.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For a .50cal bp rifle, the general consensus is 100 or 150gr bp or equivalent substitute.
    A lot of people run the 150gr load for a "Magnum" shot, but in my opinion it's unnecessary.
    100gr is a 150-200 yard shot with a good muzzle loader.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    So my memory of possibly running 95gr may not be outside the realm of possibility? We spent most of our time hunting in fairly dense forests that you really could not get a 200 yard shot in (heck you where lucky to get 100 yard shots at all).

I'll probably start with 100gr and see where I go from there.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    95 would be reasonable.
    I think most people use the pellets which mainly come in 50gr pellets.
    I've seen 30gr pellets but not for years.
    It's very easy to just drop 2 or 3 pellets down the barrel and ram a bullet on top.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Hold on there,friend.
    If it's a traditions deerhunter it's got a 1:48 twist. A compromise for patched round balls and conical. If you're shooting a prb then 70 grs is tops you should shoot( a heavier charge will strip the ball). 80 grs will stabilize a conical. That rifle was NOT ment for 150 gr loads- leave those to the in-lines.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Hold on there,friend.
    If it's a traditions deerhunter it's got a 1:48 twist. A compromise for patched round balls and conical. If you're shooting a prb then 70 grs is tops you should shoot( a heavier charge will strip the ball). 80 grs will stabilize a conical. That rifle was NOT ment for 150 gr loads- leave those to the in-lines.
    Wow! 1:48?
    I had no clue anything had that slow of a twist.

I defer to those who know more than I about the traditional style muzzle loaders.
    I use nothing but in-lines now and have for years.
    I just got tired of the unreliability of standard #11 percussion caps. I switched to musket caps for a while and that was a major improvement, but pales compared to the in-lines.

Seems years ago I remember someone using 3 Pyrodex 30gr pellets but I don't remember what firearm he was shooting.

So, I guess the title is half right. My dad and I used to use precussion cap muzzle loaders to deer hunt when I was a kid. I've recently picked one up to expand my deer season a bit. I picked up a Traditions Deerhunter precussion muzzleloader (in .50 cal). I figure it will get me started for now. Don't want to go the in-line route or anything.

Anyways, I noticed that I can't seem to find how many grains of powder to use. I don't remember how much to use specifically (for some reason the number 95 grains comes to mind), and I'm trying to find the charts on how much powder to use.

Anyone able to give me a bit of direction? The powder I'm using is Hodgden Pyrodex.
    Double the caliber is a pretty fair guess for a top power load.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have hunted with a T/C Hawken in .50 and taken several deer with it. Best load for me was 90 grains real black powder, .015 patch and .490 lead ball. It is rather tight pushing in but very accurate. I mainly hunt thick woods and the farthest deer taken with that load was broadside at 90 yards and dropped the deer in it's tracks. Tried conicals which included powerbelts, T/C maxi hunter and Buffalo Bullet Co. which weren't as accurate. Not sure if some of those are made anymore.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Aug 19, 2022
    100 grain is plenty for woods hunting where you'll shoot well short of 100 yards. I've used Pyrodex pellets as well as FFG. The Pyrodex pellets made it as easy as it gets and had no issues igniting them.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    My kids used muzzle loaders when they first started hunting. It was a very easy way to manage recoil for an 8 year old and only having one shot was good training. They both cleanly killed plenty of deer with a mild 70 grain load. Deer are not armor plated.

Dirty Steve

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I highly suggest Triple Seven granulated powder over Pyrodex. You reduce the load by 15 percent over traditional black powder. So, if you were loading 100 grains of black powder, you'd only load 85 grains of Triple Seven granulated powder. I run 80 grains of Triple Seven in my Knight .45 caliber inline.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Tompson Center Black powder guns had button rifling and a quick turn --With a patch and round balls anything over 90 grains of black powder I found you can get flyers from stripping over the rifling -- have shot eleven deer with 70 grains of ff black powder. my cut rifling gun, with a slower twist I can push a round ball up to 120 grains. Then again most black powder shooter aren't tradition black power shooters.

Top Bottom