• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    OK, decided I just have to have an AK to add to the safe. It will not be a queen though. I'm sticking with 762 since I already have guns that run it and am mainly trying to figure out if a milled Arsenal is the way I should go or a ZPAP. Kind of been eyeballing M+M and the Bren since they take AK mags, but I just don't know what I don't know and google is only so much help. I have to be able to mount a thermal on whatever I get and I really want to be able to suppress it which I understand takes some fidgeting. I'm ok with that. What say you INGO? Help a brother out.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Congratulations and welcome, comrade. It's pretty fun over here. :smileak:

What's your budget for one? Needless to say, present times are a bit different than they were just a few years ago. Still, the tried and true Romanian WASR-10 will get you everything you need in an AK, unless you absolutely need receiver dimples.

Zastava USA's ZPAP M70 builds are pretty good, but note that Yugo/Serbian furniture, optic rails, and other parts are not interchangeable with the more standard WASRs, Russian, Bulgarian, Polish, Hungarian, etc. AKs. Same goes for Chinese furniture.

Generally speaking, when it comes to AKs: imports > domestics. In the past, I and most of my fellow diehard AK fans have tried to steer folks away from American made AKs such as IO, Century (their imports are usually fine, but in-house guns such as the RAS, VSKA, C39, and BFT are junk), Riley, and early PSA models. That said, PSA has really grown and evolved since its first questionable gen-1 PSAK, and I wouldn't write off their newest models. With PSA you also get a lifetime warranty and from what I understand, some pretty decent customer service with good communications. Still, PSA has a dubious reputation of beta testing its guns on consumers, so if you go that route I'd look at a GF4 or GF5. Or don't look at PSA and check out a K-USA 103 instead.

A few more rhetorical questions to think about. Do you want an AK just to have an AK? Do you intend to buy more than one? Have you ever shot one? Do you have any 7.62x39 already in house or will you need to invest in ammo, mags, spare parts, accessories, etc.? Ammo and mags are key, and all the good combloc/surplus stuff is more expensive and harder to find these days, so make sure you're budgeting for the future.

If I had to suggest a single AK for someone new to the "platform," I'd suggest a new or nicely used WASR-10 with a case of Wolf ammo and as many surplus steel and/or surplus bakelite and/or Bulgarian Circle 10 polymer mags as you can get your hands on. Cugir's relatively affordable take on the AK will do literally everything that a milled Arsenal, Russian VEPR, or $2,000+ "custom" Krebs carbine will do, and you'll have enough money left over to fill your Dacia trunk full of ammo. And this is coming from an unapologetic Arsenal fanboy.

If you can't find a WASR, the ZPAP is just a bit more money and will scratch your AK itch for sure.

Devilpig

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2018
    Northeast Indy
    As a general rule, stick with imported. The only exception to this is the Kalashnikov USA rifles and parts kits built by reputable builders. Arsenals are typically good rifles, they have had a phase or two with claims of poor QC and paint/heat treat issues but generally their solid rifles. The Zastava rifles are also generally pretty good. Just be aware, that of those two you mention, neither are "standard" per se. Generally the "standard" nowadays is the AKM pattern, the Zastava's aren't compatible with AKM parts and the milled rifles require their own specific furniture. WBP, WASR, Arsenal stamped rifles are all AKM pattern. Once you get your rifle you can generally get a scope mount for it to put your thermal on (just remember, if you get a Zastava rifle you'll need a mount specifically for it, not just any AK pic rail mount). The Wolverine suppressor is generally the way to go, I have heard of some issues in getting adapters due to high demand.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Sounds like you should go to the gen 2 Galil ACE if you are wanting to mount optics, thermal, suppressor, etc, etc. It will do what you want right out of the box with the exception that you will probably need a KNS piston to run it suppressed.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Get the Arsenal if it's in the budget. If not the WASR-10 will work. Just make sure it's imported by C.A.I and not manufactured by them. I buy Bulgarian 30rd steel mags and 30rd polymer mags with steel liner and steel reinforced lugs from Gun Mag Warehouse. The Bulgy steel 30s are on sale right now for $13

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    Sounds like you should go to the gen 2 Galil ACE if you are wanting to mount optics, thermal, suppressor, etc, etc. It will do what you want right out of the box with the exception that you will probably need a KNS piston to run it suppressed.
    ^This

The AK doesn't really lend itself to having optics mounted easily or being suppressed with out extra work or parts.
    The Ace has Picatinny to mount your optics, m-lok for all your accessories, standard 5/8x24 thread for easy/gunsmith-free suppressor mounting, left side charge, selector on firing hand thumb, all while taking ak mags and having the AK long-stroke piston.
    Taking all that into account the Ace will be cheaper and better out of the box than basically any other readily available AK with parts and labor.
    Kns piston is ~$150 last I checked and isn't all that hard to install yourself if you're decent with basic tools.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    OK, decided I just have to have an AK to add to the safe. It will not be a queen though. I'm sticking with 762 since I already have guns that run it and am mainly trying to figure out if a milled Arsenal is the way I should go or a ZPAP. Kind of been eyeballing M+M and the Bren since they take AK mags, but I just don't know what I don't know and google is only so much help. I have to be able to mount a thermal on whatever I get and I really want to be able to suppress it which I understand takes some fidgeting. I'm ok with that. What say you INGO? Help a brother out.
    stick with imported. The Zastava rifles are also generally pretty good. The only exception to this is the Kalashnikov USA rifles and parts kits built by reputable builders. Arsenals are typically good rifles,

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    My vote is for an Arsenal or Zastava. There are aftermarket accessories for the Zastava. Midwest makes a rail for the ZPAP so you can mount whatever optic you want.

Check out Small Arm Solutions and Mishaco on YouTube: they both have some very good videos

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm not saying anything about the earlier century AKs, but the AK Operator's union on YT has an ongoing test with the BFT AK. You should check it out before you dismiss the line. I am aware of the recall.

Nothing bad to say about the WASR, I have one with a few hundred rounds and no issues. Did one "tactical" night shoot with a front rail/gas block mounted flashlight.

Zastava looks and feels like a step up, but accessories are exclusive. I didn't know that when I bought it.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    Way I see it there will be plenty laying around when the ruskies/Chinese jump in so no sense going to but one of my own
    The Chinese stopped using the AK a while back. In fact, you're more likely to see a M4/AR-15 clone used by Chinese SWAT. (Also, China produces 5.56 variants of their service rifle -the QBZ-97- for export use)

The Russians, however, still use the AK for now.

Top Bottom