New Savage Impulse straight pull bolt. Stout Enough?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Shame Izhmash is no longer imported. I have a couple and the Anschutz 1727F and they're all pretty slick. Had the one Volquartsen is selling now when it was in the early stages from Summit. Hopefully VQ has improved them.
    Yeah, should have bought a Izhmash when they were available but at the time I wasn't really messing with rimfires.
    CDNN has a straight pullback Steyr Scout in 22 LR for $300 - reviews I saw on it were mixed. Some said it was nothing but problems, other said it flawless.
    Heard the same thing. There's a reason those are selling for $300 now. Seems like if you get a good one, they're great. If you get one that has issues, then well, you're screwed, and a LOT have issues.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Reminds me of the WWII German G43 rifle with bearings replacing the flaps, and being manually operated instead of using a gas system.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    It's most similar to a roller-delay setup, the bolt carrier has a protrusion that pushes the balls outward radially rather than in 2 dimensions, like the bellvue-spring fingers in the Blasers.

Primary extraction (unsticking the brass from the chamber) effort is always the tricky part of straight pulls, my Schmidt-Rubin does it by rotation like an AR or conventional bolt gun so you get some leverage from the rotation but the downside is the friction of the cam pin on rotation. It's still easier than just prying but slightly harder... or at least different than a regular rotating bolt gun. That and I'm so tall my face is far enough forward I can smack my eye pro with the bolt if I'm not careful. On the Blazers (and that savage), the bolt handle rotates and levers the bolt straight back for primary extraction... nothing rotates along the axis of the bore.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd like one in 556 that takes AR-15 mags. I let Savage know that. Waiting on a response. I'm hoping it's in the making. I'm right handed but I prefer left handed bolt manipulate. It keeps my cheek weld, and sight alignment on target. My left hand does all the reloading etc.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I'd like one in 556 that takes AR-15 mags. I let Savage know that. Waiting on a response. I'm hoping it's in the making. I'm right handed but I prefer left handed bolt manipulate. It keeps my cheek weld, and sight alignment on target. My left hand does all the reloading etc.
    Did you see the price of the Savage?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It is pretty surprising, at least to me, that 5.56/.223 wasn't in the initial caliber offerings. Then again, that's hardly the only thing odd about the initial caliber offerings. I doubt we'll ever see it take AR mags, it is just not worth the hassle to get them to feed correctly.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    If you don’t like it let me know, I like the fact that it’s handidexterous!!
    Local shop had a big promo over the weekend with some factory reps on hand, including one from Savage. I got to handle one, pretty slick. He said you can switch it from right handed to left handed in about 30 seconds.

Top Bottom