New Savage Impulse straight pull bolt. Stout Enough?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Just saw there is a new Savage Impulse straight pull rifle. They claim it’s the first American made straight pull. My concern is the lugs. I would describe them as like bearings. Round bearings seem like an odd shape to hold the bolt in place. They have it in fairly large chambers even 06 and 300wsm. Savage claims the more back pressure the tighter the lugs hold. Are they even lugs really? Serious question. Anyways just wanted to get your all’s thoughts. I would shoot one. I’m sure they’ve had extensive validation testing. Still I’m left with concerns. How will it hold up long term? Can it handle magnum calibers like 300wm or 375 H&h. Blaser makes a straight pull in big calibers. Anybody know about straight pull rifles? Chime in. How is this different. How is it similar?

700 style:
    3624CC6D-1DF6-49D2-91E1-D5385B4A0DF7.jpeg
    Savage Impulse:
    3C6EC29E-4BFE-4C69-BAE8-D5D0CE5AAFFD.jpeg

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Theoretically strength should be the same as a conventional bolt action of similar build. The difference is that the bolt turns by cam action rather than wrist. You could think about it as being like a Garand with no gas system where you had to cycle the bolt manually. That's an oversimplification but should paint an adequate picture.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    It's an interesting approach to the problem. The straight pulls I've seen (which isn't many) are still rotating bolts and it doesn't look like the Savage design is. I'd be curious to see what they've done to lock them up without having a ton of slop in the mechanism.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Theoretically strength should be the same as a conventional bolt action of similar build. The difference is that the bolt turns by cam action rather than wrist. You could think about it as being like a Garand with no gas system where you had to cycle the bolt manually. That's an oversimplification but should paint an adequate picture.
    This is not a rotating bolt, at least externally. Internally it might be. I don’t know what they use to lock the bearings out. Only other rifle I have seen that’s even close is the Heym SR-30. It’s a German made gun and the patents should be up. Maybe Savage borrowed from the German design. They look similar externally. Both six bearing. I can’t yet figure out what mechanism within the bolt would engage the bearings.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is not a rotating bolt, at least externally. Internally it might be. I don’t know what they use to lock the bearings out. Only other rifle I have seen that’s even close is the Heym SR-30. It’s a German made gun and the patents should be up. Maybe Savage borrowed from the German design. They look similar externally. Both six bearing. I can’t yet figure out what mechanism within the bolt would engage the bearings.
    I was looking at the wrong image without my glasses!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I read one review on this yesterday and just got another in my inbox. I am sold out of AR's and actually thought about buying a bolt action. This looks interesting but I grew up with the idea that the Mauser action was the way to go.

I know very little about bolt actions. If I got one though, it might be a 6.5 creedmor if I can steer me away from .308...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd assume this is stronger than a conventional action.

But that would depend on how tough the ball bearings are and the sleeve that locks them outwards.

I think the main reason straight pulls aren't more common is because of primary extraction. It's hard to achieve the same amount of leverage as a conventional action without making the bolt fairly stiff to operate.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That is pretty clever! From a mechanical design standpoint, it seems it would even be possible to design one with a non-rotating bolt for smaller calibers, where the inner sleeve pushing outward on the bearings (and the force on it at a given time) is the only thing holding the bolt shut.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Looks like it works in a manner very similar to HSK tool holders for CNC machines. I've spun up some big heavy tooling using HSK tool holders, and yes, the more force applied to them, the tighter they hold. Never had a HSK come out of a machine, not something I can say about a ISO40.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Very interesting, like the design, we have that type of locking system to hold our welding fixtures, that are rotated, and spun, very strong, I'm sure Savage has made them bomb proof in case of liability.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    That is pretty clever! From a mechanical design standpoint, it seems it would even be possible to design one with a non-rotating bolt for smaller calibers, where the inner sleeve pushing outward on the bearings (and the force on it at a given time) is the only thing holding the bolt shut.

That's exactly how I thought this worked at first. I could pretty easily see something a .22LR just operating under spring tension. Basically an improperly operating semi-auto 22 with a handle to rack it. ;)

Looks like a problem waiting to happen.
    Would want to keep everything clean.
    I will stick with the conventional style.
    Why not design it with a rotating bolt head like a ar?

The straight pulls I've seen are exactly as you describe. There's a raceway cam to rotate an AR style bolt, but the handle itself doesn't have to rotate to do it. Straight pulls are a cool idea, but short of being forced to war with a bolt gun and every second between shots is life and death, I'm not sure what the real advantage is in the modern civilian market?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The straight pulls I've seen are exactly as you describe. There's a raceway cam to rotate an AR style bolt, but the handle itself doesn't have to rotate to do it. Straight pulls are a cool idea, but short of being forced to war with a bolt gun and every second between shots is life and death, I'm not sure what the real advantage is in the modern civilian market?
    Not racking your knuckles on your scope.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting - kinda reminds me of the delayed roller system, with manual operation.

Pretty cool!

Top Bottom