• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I wonder how much harder old eyes find a 2 moa versus a larger one for a pistol?

On my rifles I have 2 moa but my cheek weld is a little more repeatable than drawstroke of a pistol... or so I think.

Also thinking that maybe OP.com has the ship date way out to keep people from bitching about not having the sight shipped to them faster.

Now back to wondering if I should get the 6.5 moa RMR. They have a cc version that is 3.25, but probably just get a 2 in that case.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Well I went ahead and ordered a 2 moa Holosun dot. The one with the 32 moa circle. Said in stock. Should be here in a week or so.

Guess if I hate it on a pistol I can put it on my latest AR build.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Are you friggin’ kidding me? Look at the projected ship date now! Optics Planet, WTF???

Attachments

• 3D86E135-9455-410C-B3CF-CB8C947B268E.jpeg
      3D86E135-9455-410C-B3CF-CB8C947B268E.jpeg
      703 KB · Views: 23

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My 2moa is at the post office I guess.

The Vulcan is showing 08APR2022 now for me. Not sure if I will just cancel it or what. I like the theory behind the chevron and such, but yeah, waiting a year (or more) is getting silly. I had hoped it would be something that they would drop in a week or so, but doesn't seem that way.

I have the milling package loaded up for primary machine. Waiting until I actually get the optic in my hands before I hit send. $267.50 for the milling, tall sights, and coating the slide.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My 2moa is at the post office I guess.

The Vulcan is showing 08APR2022 now for me. Not sure if I will just cancel it or what. I like the theory behind the chevron and such, but yeah, waiting a year (or more) is getting silly. I had hoped it would be something that they would drop in a week or so, but doesn't seem that way.

I have the milling package loaded up for primary machine. Waiting until I actually get the optic in my hands before I hit send. $267.50 for the milling, tall sights, and coating the slide.
    The chevron is what least appeals to me on this in regards to using it as a pistol optic.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Having never used one I thought that maybe the chevron would act like a giant dot for close in, then as an aiming point for a little more distance.

Possibly a moot point at this stage anyhow.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just ordered the irons that I needed. Puts me another week back to get slide work done.

I did the rubber band trick on a spare pistol, just to see how well I can aquire the dot. Going to take some reps for sure. Also the auto adjust feature sucks when you are in a dark room looking out into the sunlight.

Also the Vulcan recticle is showing back ordered until 10APR2022

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I did the rubber band trick on a spare pistol, just to see how well I can aquire the dot. Going to take some reps for sure. Also the auto adjust feature sucks when you are in a dark room looking out into the sunlight.

Also the Vulcan recticle is showing back ordered until 10APR2022
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Different people take different amounts of time to adjust to the dot. I have seen many a mid level match competitor throw a dot on and think they were going to get immediately better. Usually they are worse at first. Some of them so much so that their ego can't take the hit and they go back to irons, at least temporarily. Among casual handgun owners and plinkers the difference doesn't seem as dramatic with some of them feeling like they are better right off the bat. This is because typically they are not under any time or scoring pressure when they are shooting. A copious amounts of dry work should take care of most of that learning curve.

As to the auto adjust and dark to light, that is one of the big downfalls and the reason most people who carry with them and have trained under different lighting conditions use manuel settings. I first encountered that problem during a low light force on force class years ago.

Who knows what is going on with the Vulcan reticle model. Not going to hold my breath that is for sure

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Since I last posted in this thread I changed my order from the 6.5 to the 3.25 MOA RMR. It arrived today. Optics Planet discounted it to $455 for me, a really nice deal.

Can anyone with an RMR tell me how the side buttons feel? The “+” button on the left side has a nice click to it while the “-“ button on the ejection port side feels very stiff and not tactile at all. They work fine though.

Also, the auto brightness seems to work pretty well taking it from sunny outdoors to a darkened room. Anyone have real world experience with that with the RMR?

Sorry for the threadjack but I searched and couldn’t find any RMR threads to piggyback onto.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since I last posted in this thread I changed my order from the 6.5 to the 3.25 MOA RMR. It arrived today. Optics Planet discounted it to $455 for me, a really nice deal.

Can anyone with an RMR tell me how the side buttons feel? The “+” button on the left side has a nice click to it while the “-“ button on the ejection port side feels very stiff and not tactile at all. They work fine though.

Also, the auto brightness seems to work pretty well taking it from sunny outdoors to a darkened room. Anyone have real world experience with that with the RMR?

Sorry for the threadjack but I searched and couldn’t find any RMR threads to piggyback onto.
    My buttons feel the same as far as I can tell. I don't use the auto brightness. I leave it on the same setting all the time. I wish I could push some sequence of buttons and lock it on that one setting. That would make the optic perfect in my opinion.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So my Holosun 507C with Vulcan reticle came today from Primary Arms. I mounted it up after work and headed out to the range to sight it in and get some initial thoughts. Mounting was straightforward to the CHPW plate on my Walther Q5 S.F.

At the range I shot a 5 shot group at 10 yards. It was on for windage and about 6 inches low in elevation. Made some adjustments and moved back to 25. Once all in the black on a NRA B-8 replacement center at 25 I call it good, it took me 3 groups of 5 to get there. Not exactly a bullseye shooter. During slowfire I barely noticed the big outer ring, just a brief glimpse when recovering from recoil. (This gun does not recoil much)

Once sighted in I moved to 10 yards and performed the (Advanced)Test. I decided to use all of my time and go for a 100. First time was a 98 in 9.08. Second time was that elusive 100 in 9.91. I noticed the big circle a bit more but it was still not an annoyance. The chevron, which I admit I had negative preconceptions about was ok.

From there I decided to go for speed and ran the Wilson/IDPA 5X5. I definitely noticed the large circle here while pushing the speed and also on the SHO work. It slowed me down a little as I only shot an expert score. I finished up with the usual closer, the cloverleaf drill at 5 yards. The goal here is to take 3 shots and keep them in one hole. No do overs. Once you get it at a certain distance a couple of range sessions in a row, move back a yard next time. I failed with a 2+1. It was my trigger press though not the sight.

That was not a typical range session for me, I just wanted to try the sight out from some different avenues. When I go back tomorrow or/and Friday I will se how it goes with a regular range session. If all goes well I will use it in a match Saturday.

The chevron is very clear to my eyes. Not sure I like it on a pistol yet, but it is clear. (Can't say the same for my high dollar 2.5 MOA SRO.) The jury is still out on the large outer circle. To me it just doesn't really seem intuitive in how to use it to help you. I plan on having some dot newbies try it and see what they think. The rest of the sight is pretty typical Holosun.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    That is great news about the way the chevron handles for someone who has shot red dots.

My 507c with circle/dot came in yesterday. I plan to at least shoot at some steel maybe this morning. Having never used on on a pistol I have a learning curve to go thru so I do not plan on making it my EDC for some time.

My vulcan is still showing back order for march of next year. Guess that gives me plenty of time to decide if I even want it or not.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I got my ACSS Vulcan on Tuesday, got a chance to get a rough zero and try it out this evening. I really think I'm going to like the Chevron. It seems to be pretty intuitive to shoot, and easy to acquire. Saturday I plan to run some drills with it, but it looks very promising!

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Mine now has a delivery date of 19MAY2021

The circle/dot combo is working I guess. I am still trying to work on pushing out consistently so I see if every time. Maybe the giant circle with the Vulcan will help.

Too early to tell. One range trip, just to run the slide thru its paces. Once I got the dot in my eye it was pretty cool. Maybe the Vulcan will help act as a crutch to get me on the right path. I do have someone who shoots with RDS that has tutored me verbally a bit.

Top Bottom