• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    Just got an email from Primary Arms that my red dot has shipped. That's about 6 weeks ahead of schedule according to what they were predicting on the pre-order. :rockwoot:
    I really want to order one of these but the pre-order on their website says it'd ship in April however if yours shipped this early, that makes me optimistic it may ship sooner. Might always pre-order for now from PA and keep a look out for one in-stock somewhere then cancel the pre-order if I find one.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Initial impressions were positive. I can't mount the optic yet until I get the slide milled, but I did take it out of the box to play with it a little.

The brightness buttons are a little small and you've really got to press them hard to increase or decrease brightness, but at the highest level it's freaking bright. Like burn the back of your retinas bright. There are supposed to be 12 brightness levels, two for NV and 10 for daytime, but cycling through, I didn't notice all 10. It seems like at a certain level it doesn't get any brighter.

The chevron is 10 MOA, so pretty big. I did notice it was fairly fuzzy for me at times when trying to focus on the dot itself. It was much more crisp when looking through the optic and focusing on a target farther away. I don't know if maybe I do have a touch of astigmatism, but if someone has it bad, I could imagine the chevron being really fuzzy for them.

I did hold it out at arm's length and the 250 moa outer ring is not visible when properly aligned. I did play around with moving it around at various angles and the big ring does make it really intuitive and easy to adjust to get the chevron centered.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    I recently got a primary arms cyclops with the acss reticle and it's super nice for the price. I think the reticle will be around for a long time. It's that good.

I've been thinking about getting my vp9 slide milled too, but I'm also tempted to just purchase one of the new slides that are optics ready... or just purchase a new optics ready VP9 altogether haha

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Initial impressions were positive. I can't mount the optic yet until I get the slide milled, but I did take it out of the box to play with it a little.

The brightness buttons are a little small and you've really got to press them hard to increase or decrease brightness, but at the highest level it's freaking bright. Like burn the back of your retinas bright. There are supposed to be 12 brightness levels, two for NV and 10 for daytime, but cycling through, I didn't notice all 10. It seems like at a certain level it doesn't get any brighter.

The chevron is 10 MOA, so pretty big. I did notice it was fairly fuzzy for me at times when trying to focus on the dot itself. It was much more crisp when looking through the optic and focusing on a target farther away. I don't know if maybe I do have a touch of astigmatism, but if someone has it bad, I could imagine the chevron being really fuzzy for them.

I did hold it out at arm's length and the 250 moa outer ring is not visible when properly aligned. I did play around with moving it around at various angles and the big ring does make it really intuitive and easy to adjust to get the chevron centered.
    McGrease08, my trial was to rubber band the RDS to a similar pistol to the intended host to check out the optic.

It worked well to check the dot at arm's length.

Attachments

• PXL_20201210_161118408.jpg
      PXL_20201210_161118408.jpg
      2.6 MB · Views: 8

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I recently got a primary arms cyclops with the acss reticle and it's super nice for the price. I think the reticle will be around for a long time. It's that good.

I've been thinking about getting my vp9 slide milled too, but I'm also tempted to just purchase one of the new slides that are optics ready... or just purchase a new optics ready VP9 altogether haha
    I considered going that route, and if I came across an optics ready VP9 I might pick it up as a backup, but I really wanted to mount directly to the slide. I have heard more than a few stories of people having issues with optics ready OEM guns, including the VP9. Using a mounting plate just isn't as secure and adds height. Not to mention the mounting plate doesn't come with the gun is near impossible to find right now.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    Great point. I think you have the right idea by just having it milled. I'll be sure to follow this, I'm curious to see how it goes.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wonder why I'm not getting notifications that someone posted in a thread that I am watching? There have been a couple like this lately.

Glad you got it so quickly! Looking forward to a range report.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I got the slide back from Primary Machine today. It was six weeks to the day since I shipped it. They did an excellent job with the fit and finish of the mount, blacked out suppressor height backup sights and the cerakote. No play at all in any of them, as expected.

I went with Sniper Grey for a very subtle two tone look. It's tough to pick up on camera without the flash. I can't wait to get this out to the range this weekend.

IMG_20210304_141439862.jpg
    IMG_20210304_141957988.jpg

IMG_20210304_141202173.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I got the slide back from Primary Machine today. It was six weeks to the day since I shipped it. They did an excellent job with the fit and finish of the mount, blacked out suppressor height backup sights and the cerakote. No play at all in any of them, as expected.

I went with Sniper Grey for a very subtle two tone look. It's tough to pick up on camera without the flash. I can't wait to get this out to the range this weekend.

View attachment 128885
    View attachment 128886

View attachment 128888
    That looks really sharp! I can see the difference. Nice choice of color.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That looks really sharp! I can see the difference. Nice choice of color.
    I honestly spent hours looking at different photos online, comparing swatches on the Cerakote website trying to decide on a color. I felt like a woman looking at different shades of white.

I almost went with Titanium which would have been more silvery, but I like understated. I actually really liked some of the bold colors they offer like red, burnt bronze, titanium blue. But I didn't want to end up with the Affliction shirt and jeans version of a handgun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I honestly spent hours looking at different photos online, comparing swatches on the Cerakote website trying to decide on a color. I felt like a woman looking at different shades of white.

I almost went with Titanium which would have been more silvery, but I like understated. I actually really liked some of the bold colors they offer like red, burnt bronze, titanium blue. But I didn't want to end up with the Affliction shirt and jeans version of a handgun.
    I am the same way. Though I had mine done in the factory type finish which comes only in black, if I was to Cerakote something, I would want it to be understated also. Fits in with my minimalist bent and gray man philosophy, lol.

Let us know how you like the dot!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I did about 100 holster draws tonight to work on my presentation to the target. I only had to fish for the chevron on four or five of those. Mostly it ended up in the upper right corner. As advertised, that large outer ring really makes it easy to adjust and get centered.

I also was worried about the rear backup sights being the first thing in my line of site. I wanted to run irons forward of the optic but apparently that's not really an option for the VP based on the internals of the slide. But because the irons are completely blacked out, I really don't notice them at all.

I can already tell I am going to like this setup a lot.

tagoofy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2021
    Cicero, IN
    Really looking forward to your impressions of the sight and reticle. Have been looking at a red dot for pistol. Had decided on Holosun because I like the idea of the circle and dot, instead of just a dot (especially in SD situations). Also looking to stay with RMR cutout for sight height and various sight options with the cutout. Now I'm not sure if I should look for the vulcan variant instead. The idea and reviews sound really promising.

Wish there were a single Holosun with the ability to switch between the reticle options (Dot, Dot plus 32 MOA circle, chevron, etc). That would be super nice. Wonder if there are technical reasons for not offering that, or if it purely marketing?

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    Placed my order on Jan. 26th with an ETA of April. Got an email on Friday, March 5th that my card had be re-authorized for the purchase and got tracking info on Tuesday morning, March 9th. Should be showing up Thursday, I'm excited! Unfortunately I'm still waiting on the pistol to be built that it'll find its home on.

Top Bottom