• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    Was thinking about that Holosun for my g19 gen5 mos. do you have the Glock plate or aftermarket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Glock plate, I didn’t even know about aftermarket plates.

Loving it, hitting plates at 80 yards away with a pistol is a first for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I just got home from a two day Sage Dynamics RDS Defensive handgun class using this reticle. We probably shot somewhere between 650-800 rounds over the two days. The class was kind of like drinking from a fire hose and there is a lot to process, so this is just a few initial impressions of using the Vulcan reticle in the class.

For starters, the optic itself held up fine. It stayed zeroed, there was no flickering or loss of the reticle. It functioned as expected. There was also no play or loosening of the screws. I give credit to Primary Machine who did the milling and installation for me. That work was top notch.

I do still think the Chevron is too big. I really wish it was 5 or 6 MOA instead of 10. Nearly all of the time you're using just the tip (:hehe:) of the pyramid to aim, so I don't need the sides of it to be so long.

I didn't really need to use the large outer circle to correct all that much. We worked on draws and presentations and my dot was in the window most of the time already, so I've kind of moved beyond the need for the training wheels that the big ring provides. That doesn't mean I never used it, but I could have gotten by without it. In fact, I ran the second half of today's drills with it switched off.

I also found I had a hard time watching the movement of the chevron under recoil, which is a big part of the feedback mechanism Aaron Cowan teaches. When firing under cadence with a traditional dot, you almost get a solid line up and down as the slide moves to the rear. Watching the movement of the dot and trying to keep it vertical gives a lot of real-time feedback and helps you decide when to press the trigger on the next shot (as soon as the dot gets back in the first part of the target zone but before it fully settles). There were many drills where I had a tough time staying focused enough on the reticle to actually pay attention to what it was doing. I kept finding myself focusing on the target and where rounds were going. When my hits weren't consistent, Aaron would ask, what was your dot doing as you were shooting. A few times I was like, "uh ... not sure, I wasn't really watching."

I don't think this was a problem unique the the Vulcan but more about the fact that I'm still pretty new to red dots on pistols. A few other students mentioned they had the same issue and they weren't running the Vulcan.

All and all I do still like this concept and how it can help new red dot shooters. I also think that big outer ring would be awesome when shooting barricade drills or from non traditional positions. All that said, I do see an RMR in my future as another option to try. I won't be taking the Vulcan off my pistol any time soon, but I don't see myself putting it on all my pistols moving forward either.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I just got home from a two day Sage Dynamics RDS Defensive handgun class using this reticle. We probably shot somewhere between 650-800 rounds over the two days. The class was kind of like drinking from a fire hose and there is a lot to process, so this is just a few initial impressions of using the Vulcan reticle in the class.

Glad you got to that class. Can't wait to hear about it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Something I forgot to mention, I saw the reticle very clearly at all distances. When doing dry practice at home, generally indoors, I have noticed blooming when focusing on a target up close. I do have a slight astigmatism, but clarity was no problem outside in bright sun. We had ideal weather for the class and I had no trouble seeing a crisp chevron when focusing on targets from 3-25 yards.

I did have it up on either the highest or second highest brightness setting.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have my circle/dot on the second to highest setting as well. Only way I can see the reticle in all (so far) light scenarios. It is a bit bright inside when the room is darker, but worth it when I start looking out into the bright sunlight.

My new one must have been sitting on the shelf a while before I got it as I noticed it was blinking. Some blamed a capacitor needing charged so I put it in a window for a bit. Helped but not for long. Just replaced the battery and marked the date on the calendar. Second week since and no more blinking. Was going to meter the old battery but tossed it so that's out.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Despite initial replies being hugely positive, it appears the reticle is not that helpful. Glad I did not wait and went ahead with an RMR.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have my circle/dot on the second to highest setting as well. Only way I can see the reticle in all (so far) light scenarios. It is a bit bright inside when the room is darker, but worth it when I start looking out into the bright sunlight.

My new one must have been sitting on the shelf a while before I got it as I noticed it was blinking. Some blamed a capacitor needing charged so I put it in a window for a bit. Helped but not for long. Just replaced the battery and marked the date on the calendar. Second week since and no more blinking. Was going to meter the old battery but tossed it so that's out.
    I have had mixed results on batteries. Ordered some new Duracell's from Amazon that, after sitting in storage for a few months, were showing 2.7v out of the package.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have had mixed results on batteries. Ordered some new Duracell's from Amazon that, after sitting in storage for a few months, were showing 2.7v out of the package.
    I bought some Lithium Ion in case they will work better in temperature changes. Most times the gun is next to my body and I produce a lot of heat. One of the benefits of being fat in the winter.

Tagged the date I installed and put a reminder in 1 year. Should last longer than that, especially with shake awake going.

Time, as they say, will tell.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Bumping since have I've had a lot more trigger time behind this reticle the past few months, some live fire and a lot of dry fire.

I'm getting much quicker and more consistent with the draw and presentation. The dot is almost always in the window now. I overshoot high and left maybe once out of 100 presentations, but I am very happy with the muscle memory that I'm building.

Adding in a shot timer has really helped too. I am consistently beating the sub 2 second par time for draw from concealment to first shot. Because the chevron is consistently in the window and on target (1" circle at 3 yards) I'm not spending time refining much. I also don't worry about parallax anymore, so once I'm on target I press the trigger, regardless if things are centered in the window.

I still have things to work on to get more consistency on the trigger press. I am more accurate using the middle of my index finger and not the pad. I'm also still not 100% consistent with my support hand grip, but very happy with how things are progressing. I am all in on the red dot life now.

jbusyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    South of Indy
    I just ordered one of these today from Optics Planet in green for $316 after tax. Im not sure if thats a special deal today or their regular cheapest price when you ask.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Bumping since have I've had a lot more trigger time behind this reticle the past few months, some live fire and a lot of dry fire.

I'm getting much quicker and more consistent with the draw and presentation. The dot is almost always in the window now. I overshoot high and left maybe once out of 100 presentations, but I am very happy with the muscle memory that I'm building.

Adding in a shot timer has really helped too. I am consistently beating the sub 2 second par time for draw from concealment to first shot. Because the chevron is consistently in the window and on target (1" circle at 3 yards) I'm not spending time refining much. I also don't worry about parallax anymore, so once I'm on target I press the trigger, regardless if things are centered in the window.

I still have things to work on to get more consistency on the trigger press. I am more accurate using the middle of my index finger and not the pad. I'm also still not 100% consistent with my support hand grip, but very happy with how things are progressing. I am all in on the red dot life now.
    Glad to hear you are putting in the time and getting results. My Vulcan has been sitting in the drawer for a few months now. Went to a Dave Spaulding red dot class last Sunday. It was fun.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    FYI- Primary Arms had these for $320 and you can get 12% off site wide if you use promo code SAVE12.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    FYI- Primary Arms had these for $320 and you can get 12% off site wide if you use promo code SAVE12.

After mine set in a drawer for a few months, I threw it on my Staccato. Not sure if it is going to stay or not. Still like some of the things about it, especially the fact it doesn't wash out in bright sun when a lot of dot onlys do.

PXL_20220509_213619764.MP.jpg

Top Bottom