• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I much prefer to keep everything in the original post in an ad. As a buyer I screenshot the ad post when I make an offer, capturing the details. As a seller I do this when a deal is made. Much easier to capture all the details if they are in a single post. This is one area where I like the previous system better.

As far as terms, etc. I try to clearly spell those out in my communications with the other person.

Having all the info in one place makes it simpler for those who add/ subtract trade interests. It also keeps any pics added together with the original ad.

One thing I do like about the new board software is the ability to lock and unlock the sale thread. The seller can prevent those be useless "PM inbound" and "PM sent" posts this way. I see many threads where someone posted about a PM and the item continued to be for sale. Users would have to get used to the fact that a locked thread could still have an active ad.

:twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my opinion, allowing editing of ads has the potential to be abused.
    Some places do not allow changing the original wording at all but they allow adding more details and corrections.
    There is a responsibility on the seller to be accurate when placing an ad.

The last thing anybody wants is to open the door for fraud by allowing the seller to change the pictures or the description of the condition, especially after a deal is made. I am not saying this happens here but only that if it is allowed it will happen some day.
    It used to happen here. Not so much anymore.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think having the ability to edit your ad is needed so that you can reduce the price in the original post instead of when bumping the ad. This helps eliminate the need to scroll through to find the last post with an updated price, instead keeping everything in the OP.

I agree with this. Being able to adjust price in the original post of a classified ad is really helpful. This way one can update the ad to answer questions, update price or trade interests, etc all without having to bump the ad to do so. Hopefully the time frame to allow edit can be adjusted or just left as an unlimited time for this purpose.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As somebody who's placed ads for the last 10 years or so,
    not being able to edit MY own ad is REALLY STUPID.

For example, a price change should be in the ad, NOT multiple posts down the line which readers may not see.
    Also, when I've placed ads, I find many will PM me and ask the same question.
    I can edit the ad to add this info.
    OR after placing the ad, I may remember a relevant fact that should've been in there.
    OR I may have to fix a misspelling.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

For example, a price change should be in the ad, NOT multiple posts down the line which readers may not see.
    OR after placing the ad, I may remember a relevant fact that should've been in there.
    One thing I've noticed with the new software (I think) though, is the ability to change the title of the ad. It always struck me as odd that people used to put the price in the ad title, because you couldn't edit the title under the old system, but unless I'm mistaken, I've seen people change the price in the ad title since the switch to the new software. Or I could be imagining things and just full of :poop:. Wouldn't be the first time. :):

I do agree though that it would make it a lot easier to allow us to edit the original ad like we used to be able to (and in fact were encouraged to do per the rules).

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It's getting really annoying to have to confirm every time I want to mark the forums read. It's not like I'm trying to reformat the C drive. I just want to mark everything read so I can look at the new posts next time. Shouldn't have to take two clicks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Ed I sense a bit of anger here my friend.. That is so unlike you.
    Let me run this up the ladder to the boss OK.
    Deep breath's.....:):

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ed I sense a bit of anger here my friend.. That is so unlike you.
    Let me run this up the ladder to the boss OK.
    Deep breath's.....:):

Sorry Churchmouse if I seem a bit hot under the collar.
    There's no logical reason I can see why I shouldn't be able to edit my ads.
    There's many LEGITIMATE reasons why an ad should be able to be edited, and none I can see why not.
    The change comes across to me as just arbitrary and without good reason or thought behind it.

This will only lead to me (and others) locking my ad and creating a whole new one EVERY time I need to make a change to it.

This will just lead to much more clutter and confusion of ads in the sale forums.
    PLEASE change it back to how it used to be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's many LEGITIMATE reasons why an ad should be able to be edited, and none I can see why not.
    The change comes across to me as just arbitrary and without good reason or thought behind it.

This will only lead to me (and others) locking my ad and creating a whole new one EVERY time I need to make a change to it.

This will just lead to much more clutter and confusion of ads in the sale forums.
    Thanks for the explanation my friend. I will send this up the pipe OK. Just give us a chance.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

From my experience many of the little things that we users are seeing weren't planned changes, they were defaults in the new software package. It takes time to get every little detail the way that it will be in the final iteration. Lots of tweaking going on, changes being made wile trying not to break anything else.

Some things may be lost and other new features are showing up.

Report the problems and give the people behind the scenes some breathing room. Give as much detail as you can. Include your device type (phone, desktop, tablet, etc.), browser you are using, forum and thread you had the issue in. Screen grabs can help if you can manage them.

Come on, you know we can do it! MIGA!*

* Make Ingo Great Again (t-shirts and hats coming soon!, conversate me your credit card info to pre-order, make sure you have lots of credit line available)#

# I want to make it clear - DO NOT send me ANY personal info - The stuff in purple is a JOKE, it's ok to laugh now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I find way more things I like better than the old site. So many that I can't even list them. It just works better all around; posting, classifieds, watching, checking, etc, etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

OK peoples listen up. If you have a strong issue with anything that we might possibly take care of let us know. We do read this thread.

OK....180 days on the edit. If you folks think about it the old system locked you out of edit after maybe 60 days. After 60 the edit tab disappeared.
    So ease up OK. We got this I promise......:):

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the explanation my friend. I will send this up the pipe OK. Just give us a chance.

Thanks Churchmouse.
    I've been on this forum for many years, and haven't ever complained about any policy before.
    But as somebody who's placed many ads here, this no longer being able to edit an ad is just irrationally absurd.
    Thanks for listening.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks Churchmouse.
    I've been on this forum for many years, and haven't ever complained about any policy before.
    But as somebody who's placed many ads here, this no longer being able to edit an ad is just irrationally absurd.
    Thanks for listening.
    As I have posted its dealt with. It was not even a policy just a pre-set in the plug in we were not aware of. Now if everyone can do the deep breath thing and just make a list we will deal with anything that we can.

Promise.....:):

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    As I have posted its dealt with. It was not even a policy just a pre-set in the plug in we were not aware of. Now if everyone can do the deep breath thing and just make a list we will deal with anything that we can.

Promise.....:):
    I don't wanna take any deep breaths!
    BULLY! :p

Top Bottom