• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    Does anyone know what the new requirements in the "gun safety " law are for selling firearms? Hearing lots of talk on TV, but nothing solid.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Here's the bill:

‘‘Bipartisan Safer Communities Act’’

Here are the dealer parts:

SEC. 12002. DEFINING ‘‘ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS’’.
    Section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, is amended—
    (1) in paragraph (21)(C), by striking ‘‘with the principal
    objective of livelihood and profit’’ and inserting ‘‘to predominantly earn a profit’’;

(2) by redesignating paragraphs (22) through (29) as paragraphs (23) through (30), respectively; and
    (3) by inserting after paragraph (21) the following:
    ‘‘(22) The term ‘to predominantly earn a profit’ means that
    the intent underlying the sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents,
    such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection:
    Provided, That proof of profit shall not be required as to a person
    who engages in the regular and repetitive purchase and disposition
    of firearms for criminal purposes or terrorism. For purposes of
    this paragraph, the term ‘terrorism’ means activity, directed against
    United States persons, which—

IANAL, but I interpret that change to mean if you are a "hobby dealer", buying and selling firearms "predominately to earn a profit", you now need an FFL.

I have real problems with the wording, since it only focuses on the selling end... such that if you encountered hardships and had to liquidate your collection for cash, ATF could harass someone with this.

ETA: See my post #5 below... put into context in (21)(c), selling all/part of your personal collection is not an issue and is specifically exempt.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Here's the bill:

‘‘Bipartisan Safer Communities Act’’

Here are the dealer parts:

IANAL, but I interpret that change to mean if you are a "hobby dealer", buying and selling firearms "predominately to earn a profit", you now need an FFL.

I have real problems with the wording, since it only focuses on the selling end... such that if you encountered hardships and had to liquidate your collection for cash, ATF could harass someone with this.
    I guess you just have to forever take a loss on any gun you sell.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I guess you just have to forever take a loss on any gun you sell.
    Not sure how you read that into it... :dunno:

Anyhoo, here's the "old" section(21)(c):

(C)as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921(a)(11)(A), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms;

And here's what the new one now is:

(C)as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921(a)(11)(A), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business to predominantly earn a profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms;

Top Bottom