New Federal Law Mandates Use Of Cut-Off Switch On Boats 26' And Less ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    It appears that one can now be fined for not actively using it if equipped.

Am wondering if this also applies to inland waters not under Federal control?

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI

Every report I've found on this is either from the Great Lakes and Costal Waters or in other words those bodies of water patrolled by the USCG. Don't believe it currently applies to inland lakes, just the same wondered if anyone else had contradictory information.

"...The new regulation, part of the Elijah E. Cummings Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2020, requires an ECOS switch or ECOS link while in operation. With some exceptions, boaters that do not have an ECOS could face penalties up to $500, depending on how many times they’ve been found violating the new law.

Law enforcement vessels and other government-owned boats will not face the same requirements...."

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Or just clipping it to something on the dash.

The way the article was written made it seem that it has to be clipped to a person.

I'm pretty curious how this is gonna go for the trolling motor crowd. Boat helm has ECOS, trolling motor doesn't, trolling motor controls are 10 feet from ECOS cord, law says you have to wear the cord.

20 foot long cord to tangle and drown yourself with?

Hummm...

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The way the article was written made it seem that it has to be clipped to a person.

I'm pretty curious how this is gonna go for the trolling motor crowd. Boat helm has ECOS, trolling motor doesn't, trolling motor controls are 10 feet from ECOS cord, law says you have to wear the cord.

20 foot long cord to tangle and drown yourself with?

Hummm...

I'm sure the lawmakers think that everyone will clip it to a loop on their lifejacket, but I doubt the ECOS clip will know if it's clipped to a lifejacket or the throttle lever.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm sure the lawmakers think that everyone will clip it to a loop on their lifejacket, but I doubt the ECOS clip will know if it's clipped to a lifejacket or the throttle lever.

ECOS doesn't know if you have a beer in your hand either. This is about the game warden. Its a seatbelt ticket, but for boats. New probable cause and all of that, I'd imagine.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Read the FAQ, it answers many questions.

DNR is fairly active on Monroe and Raccoon, USCG up on the big lake.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    They've been standard equipment on boats under 26' for years. Sounds like this law will just mandate their use vs letting the clip and cord hang on the switch.
    It's either this or a dead man switch-type throttle. I've never operated a lake boat without a cutoff lanyard.

It's there for a reason. No seatbelts on boats, if you get in a collision or get bounced violently enough and ejected from the boat, it's going to continue on without you. USCG chases down runaway boats all the time.

In practical terms the reg is unenforceable except as a retroactive citation after an incident, but anyone operating a smaller boat SHOULD be using one, particularly if alone. Otherwise you'll be floating there, banged up, watching your boat dive away.

Minimum is 3hp so maybe that exempts the electric trolling motor types or very small dinghies. I haven't spent much time in dinghies, doesn't the outboard tiller usually have a twist throttle that returns to idle when released anyway?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    It's either this or a dead man switch-type throttle. I've never operated a lake boat without a cutoff lanyard.

It's there for a reason. No seatbelts on boats, if you get in a collision or get bounced violently enough and ejected from the boat, it's going to continue on without you. USCG chases down runaway boats all the time.

In practical terms the reg is unenforceable except as a retroactive citation after an incident, but anyone operating a smaller boat SHOULD be using one, particularly if alone. Otherwise you'll be floating there, banged up, watching your boat dive away.

Minimum is 3hp so maybe that exempts the electric trolling motor types or very small dinghies. I haven't spent much time in dinghies, doesn't the outboard tiller usually have a twist throttle that returns to idle when released anyway?

Depends on the dinghy. It was as you described on my 9.9hp on an inflatable dinghy. Not sure if it's in my friends hard bottom with a 30hp.

What's interesting is the bigger boats don't have them. Neither my 33' or current 37' have the cutoff lanyard or switch. Only way to turn them off is the ignition switch.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    In practical terms the reg is unenforceable except as a retroactive citation after an incident...

Like I said, it's probable cause on the water just like a seat belt ticket. I stopped you because it didn't look like you were wearing your ignition strap. Papers please.

While I agree that you likely should be using it anyhow, I don't necessarily agree that you should be mandated by law to do it. The law spends $30k chasing down your boat, they mail you a bill. Fair is fair.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Like I said, it's probable cause on the water just like a seat belt ticket. I stopped you because it didn't look like you were wearing your ignition strap. Papers please.
    DNR guy can't tell from 50 yards away on the water if I have a piece of string clipped to my shorts or not.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Gonna have to be a damn slow day on Monroe for the one DNR guy on the entire lake to have time for that kind of fishing expedition.

It's probably a pretty damn slow day when a street cop issues a seat belt ticket too. My guess is that the seat belt isn't really why they stop people, hence the probable cause I keep talking about.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    DNR guy can't tell from 50 yards away on the water if I have a piece of string clipped to my shorts or not.
    No, it probably will be an add on like a seatbelt ticket. I stopped you for another infraction and noticed you were not hooked up. Let me just add on another ticket.

Top Bottom