• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So I wrote Mrvan about this, and he actually responded today. He mostly gave me a politicians reply, but it was better than I ever expected from him.

HY1DYmQRRz9-kP42h9Y387afKD8YsZrgCJO2Pgi6dW33zhkt1EUAJfkpOdmIfb-iOzrU_OBXqbiaqhZW15teaaQpJmN0c3rmEsLH0Zo0NqKNqU9njmiVEt2bXvVsZQ=s0-d-e1-ft
    January 31, 2023

Dear Mr. *******,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding a recent Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) rule. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, on January 13, 2023, the Department of Justice announced that it has submitted to the Federal Register the ATF rule that aims to make clear the factors that would be considered when evaluating whether certain firearms equipped with a "stabilizing brace" may be considered a rifle or short-barreled rifle under the National Firearms Act. That Department of Justice announcement states often, when pistols are converted to rifles by the use of a stabilizing brace covered by the rule, they have barrels less than 16 inches in length and must comply with the same heightened requirements that apply to short-barreled rifles under the National Firearms Act. The announcement also states that nothing in this rule bans stabilizing braces or the use of stabilizing braces on pistols.

In response to this situation, you may be interested to know that in the 117th Congress, Rep. Clyde introduced H.R. 9033, the SHORT Act. This measure would have removed certain short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, and other weapons from the definition of a firearm for purposes of regulation under the National Firearms Act. This measure was referred to the House Committees on Ways and Means and the Judiciary, and had eight cosponsors. However, this measure did not receive consideration prior to the adjournment of the 117th Congress. Should similar legislation be introduced in the 118th Congress, I assure you that I will monitor it with your views in mind.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    What is hard to follow is that apparently the laws today come, not from Congress, but from an ATF Powerpoint presentation at a gun shop in Bloomington.

I used to work at a bank. This is how our credit underwriting policy worked. New or updated policies would be brought down from above on stone tablets. They would set up training classes to go over the new policies. The classes would include a PowerPoint presentation and FAQs that would invariably contain additional information not in policy, or information that contradicted policy. The expectation from government bank examiners was that we were then supposed to follow policy and/or the PowerPoint and/or the FAQs. Bureaucracy is the worst.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    So if I get this right... Powerpoint is now law?

Cool. I got Powerpoint on my computer.
    I'm gonna do me up a quick presentation, so I can build a legal Mk 18... complete with happy switch.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    If an LVPO on a pistol is an "SBR," then it's always been an SBR. This didn't just get decided yesterday. Where are the cases? Where are the prosecutions?
    This may very well have just been decided yesterday.
    What is hard to follow is that apparently the laws today come, not from Congress, but from an ATF Powerpoint presentation at a gun shop in Bloomington.
    You haven't been paying attention, have you?
    Lots of rule changes coming out of ATF lately, masquerading as "law" since Congress abrogated their authority to alphabet agencies decades ago.
    Forget "Thermonuclear War", let's play a game of "Everyone's a felon....overnight"!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Clarity:

This was a Q/A session with ATF.... that's a question and answer session with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

This session was clarifying the most recent brace update that we all should be aware of by now, there is a handful of threads about it. I imagine most of us feel the same way about the Bureau.

Since this topic has been beat like a dead horse and still is confusing for people I thought Id touch on something that seemed almost out of place and hadn't seen it mentioned elsewhere.

Yes it was on a power point, a very normal way for people to convey information, means nothing else.

This was them clarifying what they consider a "Short Barrelled Rifle" or SBR is, that requires their special permission and a stamp.

Noone has been charged with the optics issue because that literally happened Monday/Tuesday and is part of their "clarification" of the new brace rule that hasn't gone into effect.

There is going to be alot of willful or unwillful felons come May, be careful out there guys and gals.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    So the SHORT act was introduced again today. I just wrote and ask that he support it this time. I added this onto the email
    View attachment 252292
    I am communicating with my Rep and Senators . . . to urge support of the SHORT ACT and the Joint Resolution using the CRA to declare the BATFE rule void. I'm not certain how much notice the Federal Courts will give them, as I expect both to die in the Senate, but it does express Congressional sentiment that over half the nation does not support the California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey and Maryland gun laws, or the BATFE rule-making shenanigans.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    So I can't shot my .22 lr contender pistol all taco-ed up with the 3x9 rifle scope on it? That's horse crap.
    Not the weapon they are currently look at. Now give them time and they will make it so. Even variable magnification pistol scopes change length of eye relief until you get into the high/mid price point on high magnification pistol optics.

Contender pistol in 45-70 30-30 35 rem is a very good candidate for a pistol brace used as well a pistol brace.

Have been thinking about registering a frame for free but most likely will not.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Have been thinking about registering a frame for free but most likely will not.
    You can't register a frame for free. It has to be a pistol, and only a pistol with a brace. I wish it were a free-for-all SBR registration, but the tax exemption is geared toward AR/AK style firearms (mostly) with pistol braces. A few exceptions but unfortunately a TC Contender probably isn't one. That would be cool though.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I am communicating with my Rep and Senators . . . to urge support of the SHORT ACT and the Joint Resolution using the CRA to declare the BATFE rule void. I'm not certain how much notice the Federal Courts will give them, as I expect both to die in the Senate, but it does express Congressional sentiment that over half the nation does not support the California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey and Maryland gun laws, or the BATFE rule-making shenanigans.
    Yeah. For clarity's sake, Mrvan is a true blue D. I was fully expecting a "guns be bad and need to be banned" reply. His reply showed much more knowledge of the subject than I was expecting too. I imagine in the end he will still vote with the party against anything gun related though.

Top Bottom