• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Saw him on the news. Said an embraced pistol can't be shot at their range because people can't control them.
    Fixed it for ya.
    There are folks in the military that embrace the pistol. I think they adopted a “don’t ask don’t tell” policy for that
    How do you know he didn't mean "embraced"? "No pistol hugging" seems like a good safety rule. I mean, once you embrace your pistol, look lovingly down its sights... things could get out of hand. ;)
    This is my rifle, this is my gun!
    This one's for fightin', this one's for fun! :):

Following the plot of the scenario you've painted, then switching from 45acp to 9mm is equivalent to getting a younger girlfriend.......or a trophy wife.

Hope it all works out for you. :wrongdoor:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    WOW! Part of me says it hard to believe this out of a news outlet in a Military Town. Tampa is home to McDill AFB which has the 6th Airlift Wing, HQ US Central Command and HQ US Special Operations Command. The other part of me says Tampa is no different from the swamp in DC since so many at a Unified Combatant Command HQ (CENTCOM and SOCOM) spent multiple tours at the Pentagon.

So when he enrolled in the Army in 1990, he was no stranger to guns.

Anybody see what is absolutely wrong here? You don't "enroll" in the Army... you enlist.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    WOW! Part of me says it hard to believe this out of a news outlet in a Military Town. Tampa is home to McDill AFB which has the 6th Airlift Wing, HQ US Central Command and HQ US Special Operations Command. The other part of me says Tampa is no different from the swamp in DC since so many at a Unified Combatant Command HQ (CENTCOM and SOCOM) spent multiple tours at the Pentagon.

Anybody see what is absolutely wrong here? You don't "enroll" in the Army... you enlist.
    One enlists in a few Branches of the Armed Services, Thank everyone that was drafted or enlisted.
    One earns that Globe and Eagle and becomes a United States Marine.
    Buy them all dinner,

Oorah.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

I saw that also . . . expecting clueless "reporters" to get anything correct, especially about the military or firearms, is an unreasonable expectation.

Mostly correct . . . commissioned officers don't "enlist", they're commissioned by the President and they're legally "Officers of the United States" which has a special legal status under Federal Law. Likewise, warrant officers don't enlist either, they're granted a warrant by their service Secretary - which is similar to a commission - albeit most warrants were enlisted before becoming warrants, the exception being U.S. Army pilot warrants. Then there's the really weird "commissioned warrant", mostly Navy Department, who are still warrants, but have a presidential commission. If enlisted prior to commissioning or becoming a warrant, they're given a discharge certificate the dated the day before on the day of becoming an officer and taking the oath. I have mine buried somewhere. Much more relevant is my retirement certificate and orders.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw that also . . . expecting clueless "reporters" to get anything correct, especially about the military or firearms, is an unreasonable expectation.

Mostly correct . . . commissioned officers don't "enlist", they're commissioned by the President and they're legally "Officers of the United States" which has a special legal status under Federal Law. Likewise, warrant officers don't enlist either, they're granted a warrant by their service Secretary - which is similar to a commission - albeit most warrants were enlisted before becoming warrants, the exception being U.S. Army pilot warrants. Then there's the really weird "commissioned warrant", mostly Navy Department, who are still warrants, but have a presidential commission. If enlisted prior to commissioning or becoming a warrant, they're given a discharge certificate the dated the day before on the day of becoming an officer and taking the oath. I have mine buried somewhere. Much more relevant is my retirement certificate and orders.
    Blue-ID Mafia! I didn't know that.

Big Blue was the only service that gave up the Warrant Officers (IIRC) when grades E-8 and E-9 were established back in 59 (that was before my time both in the USAF and on Earth for those of you getting ready to go CLEARED HOT with an age-dis)

Now to really make your brain hurt we could discuss the Uniformed Services that aren't in the Military (NOAA and PHS Commissioned Corps.) They dress like they're in the Navy but they ain't Military. It's obvious why these pukes aren't the Military... no Enlisted Corps :stickpoke:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Blue-ID Mafia! I didn't know that.

Big Blue was the only service that gave up the Warrant Officers (IIRC) when grades E-8 and E-9 were established back in 59 (that was before my time both in the USAF and on Earth for those of you getting ready to go CLEARED HOT with an age-dis)

Now to really make your brain hurt we could discuss the Uniformed Services that aren't in the Military (NOAA and PHS Commissioned Corps.) They dress like they're in the Navy but they ain't Military. It's obvious why these pukes aren't the Military... no Enlisted Corps :stickpoke:
    They had a handful of Physician Assistant warrants for a while. I don’t recall when they were phased out, but existing ones continued their careers until resigning or retiring after the USAF quit issuing warrants.

In addition, officers retain their rank after court-martial conviction. Last I heard, highest rank in the USDB at Fort Leavenworth was a full bull Colonel (O-6). Nobody salutes them. They can still forfeit all pay and allowances. There is no Dishonorable Discharge either. Instead they are sentenced to Dismissal from the Service, which has the same effect as a DD. There is nothing less than that, i.e. no Bad Conduct (BCD) or General Under Less than Honorable. An officer can only be tried by a General Court. There is an Article 15 procedure - also administered by a general and it’s not quite the same as for enlisted. Some of the punishments are off the table, but the others can be worse than for enlisted. Too much to post details on here. It’s all in the Manual for Court-Martial (MCM) which includes the UCMJ.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    They had a handful of Physician Assistant warrants for a while. I don’t recall when they were phased out, but existing ones continued their careers until resigning or retiring after the USAF quit issuing warrants.

In addition, officers retain their rank after court-martial conviction. Last I heard, highest rank in the USDB at Fort Leavenworth was a full bull Colonel (O-6). Nobody salutes them. They can still forfeit all pay and allowances. There is no Dishonorable Discharge either. Instead they are sentenced to Dismissal from the Service, which has the same effect as a DD. There is nothing less than that, i.e. no Bad Conduct (BCD) or General Under Less than Honorable. An officer can only be tried by a General Court. There is an Article 15 procedure - also administered by a general and it’s not quite the same as for enlisted. Some of the punishments are off the table, but the others can be worse than for enlisted. Too much to post details on here. It’s all in the Manual for Court-Martial (MCM) which includes the UCMJ.
    And then there is Hunter Biden.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don’t see any whining before your post whining about a discussion. This is a discussion forum after all.

But it’s ok - no worries - you’re welcome to discuss as well just as I’m welcome to respond to your post. That is the nature of a discussion forum.

I’m turning 37 soon although I am not sure how old the others I was discussing with are. I would assume at least 18+ and probably 21+.

:-)
    I'M 6-somthing going on 12, just ask my wife! :bacondance: I warned her when we first met that I might grow older but I sure as hell wasn't growing up!

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    And then there is Hunter Biden.
    This is starting to veer off topic . . . but I'll go there anyway.

Hunter received a direct commission in the US Navy Reserve as a Public Affairs Officer when his then VP father leaned all over the Navy Department to hand him one (in the USN this would usually be a LDO vs Line officer; i.e. not eligible for a command). This required a waiver for his history of drug use no mere mortal would ever receive for a commission. IIRC, his career lasted (much) less than 90 days before he was cashiered in Feb 2014 with an administrative discharge "For the Good of the Service" after failing a drug test. Don't know the Navy regulations. In the U.S. Army it would be one of the "Chapter 13" admin discharges (there are a variety of them). This is different from a resignation (qualified or unqualified), or a Dismissal from the Service as the result of court-martial. He's ineligible for any VA benefits as he didn't serve enough time. I've a hunch the USN drug tested him because they knew he'd fail, and his father couldn't save him from being sacked. It was the off-ramp they could use to jettison him.

I saw a half dozen or so fellow officers "bite the dust", and with a couple of them I was a part of the process. Few enlisted ever get to see this as it's "officer's business". Booting an officer administratively "for the good of the service", or by forcing a "qualified" resignation (i.e. for the good of the service; qualified resignation or court-martial), or by general court-marital is an ignominious end that will follow them to the end of time.

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    This is starting to veer off topic . . . but I'll go there anyway.

Hunter received a direct commission in the US Navy Reserve as a Public Affairs Officer when his then VP father leaned all over the Navy Department to hand him one (in the USN this would usually be a LDO vs Line officer; i.e. not eligible for a command). This required a waiver for his history of drug use no mere mortal would ever receive for a commission.
    I think he also received another waiver because he was too old and he should thank daddy for that too.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    And many even here are willfully charging to the front of the line.
    Just my $0.02, since it’ll take 3-4 years to overturn…. Many are looking down upon those SBRing right now, but the criminal offense will be the same as possessing an unregistered machine gun or suppressor to my knowledge.

I assume those looking down on the others who are SBRing, have not been keeping unregistered machine guns as an act of defiance, and don’t have unregistered suppressors as an act of defiance, so I don’t believe there is a leg to stand on claiming compliance is part of the problem, because they have already been complying before this. Unless you aren’t complying by any of those laws, in which case, more power to you.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Just my $0.02, since it’ll take 3-4 years to overturn…. Many are looking down upon those SBRing right now, but the criminal offense will be the same as possessing an unregistered machine gun or suppressor to my knowledge.

I assume those looking down on the others who are SBRing, have not been keeping unregistered machine guns as an act of defiance, and don’t have unregistered suppressors as an act of defiance, so I don’t believe there is a leg to stand on claiming compliance is part of the problem, because they have already been complying before this. Unless you aren’t complying by any of those laws, in which case, more power to you.
    Most here weren't born before the '34 law to have such unregistered items in their possession to be non compliant with....

Top Bottom