• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It seems totally unenforceable for one thing.

They got the entire market to stop selling braced firearms.

It seems like they got their no.1 goal already accomplished without a law, or even a published rule. Merely a hint that it might be coming.

And if they just keep the carrot dangling on a stick in perpetuity, then their job is 99% done. And done in such a way as to not allow anyone legal recourse.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    fairly extensive discussion over here:
    That's why I posted it there too, but this video dealt specifically with the NFA.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    JMHO, but I wouldn't post any pictures and ask any "is this legal?" questions. If nothing else, we shouldn't be giving the AFT lurkers on here anymore bright ideas. I don't think bird's head type shotguns were mentioned, but it will be eventually if people start asking about it frequently. I would err on the side of caution and say these would be included as it is equipped with a brace.
    IANAL but I believe those are safe because to be a rifle, it has to have a rifled bore to be a sbR.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    There are quite a few pics out there of these types of shotguns with braces attached. SB Tactical was selling an SB brace kit specifically for the Mossy Shockwave, Brownell's had the "Boom Kit" as well which is what I assume got them thrown on the rule too.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @edwea responded to a similar question on the pistol thread. I have copied and pasted it.
    "Basically that only the owner of the nfa item may have any level of possession of the item. So no letting others shoot, even in your presence. Can't even hold it. The kicker is that this didn't even come from some "rule change", but from an updated answer to a FAQ. :scratch:

they're getting pretty cavalier with these changes..."

That is the jist that I got after watching the video for myself and thus the reason I posted it. If you watch it, you might actually come up with a different conclusion. I don't have an NFA item yet, so I don't have a dog in the fight. But for me, what's the point of having an NFA item at 52 years old if I can't let my family enjoy it? I would need an NFA trust with my family on it so they could enjoy them too. What about grandkids I hope to have someday?
    I think this is a small way the AFT can dissuade people who would want an NFA item, but not if they couldn't share it with others to enjoy with their supervision.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    There are quite a few pics out there of these types of shotguns with braces attached. SB Tactical was selling an SB brace kit specifically for the Mossy Shockwave, Brownell's had the "Boom Kit" as well which is what I assume got them thrown on the rule too.
    Which is odd because it would mean that such braced shotguns have always been considered NFA-regulated SBS and makes one wonder why SB was ever allowed to sell such adapters in the first place.

But then again a "collection of parts" from which an SBR or SBS can be assembled is not legislatively defined as an SBR or SBS so the ATF probably can't do anything about the parts.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Which is odd because it would mean that such braced shotguns have always been considered NFA-regulated SBS and makes one wonder why SB was ever allowed to sell such adapters in the first place.

But then again a "collection of parts" from which an SBR or SBS can be assembled is not legislatively defined as an SBR or SBS so the ATF probably can't do anything about the parts.
    :dunno: Yet again, the thinking of the AFT baffles the mind.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Why would you need to engrave something you won’t be able to own in prison anyway when they decide to change their minds again and just round them all up?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So yeah.... I came here to make a thread on this but found this thread instead so here I am replying.

1674703914426.png

I guess this means that I cannot even let my children fire a 22LR with a suppressor on it unless the suppressor is in a trust and the kids are on that trust?

Anybody know what actual law prohibits this? The FAQ in and of itself is not law / does not have the force of law. It has to be backed up by something to be enforceable. I'm going down the rabbit hole myself of figuring out what the law actually says.

The ATF could write a FAQ that says "Must I stand on my head while shooting my NFA item?" with the answer "Yes, one must absolutely be standing on their head at all times while possessing and shooting an NFA item." - that does not make it so.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I posted this over on the pistol brace thread but figured it belonged here too. I want to register my Shockwave as an SBS someday, but after seeing this, I will get a trust for me and my family
    Shockwave with a brace doesn't need registered, only if you want a regular stock on it.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Please see post #587 over on the Pistol Stabilizing brace thread. I found this information over on page 24 of the proposed rule. IANAL, But as I read it, as Shockwave with a brace would fall under the rule.

Top Bottom