• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My first lower build found me shooting a detent pin into oblivion.
    My local shop owner laughed at hearing this and replaced it fo free.
    Subsequent builds were done with the parts under a clear "bed-in-bag" bag like you get a sheet/comforter set in.
    Any parts that "get away"are captured in the bag where they were easy to retrieve.

Lower assembly is a breeze if you have the correct pictorial or video.
    I used a pictorial I found on AR15.com for my first build and it only took about 45 minutes.

Now I've got it down to 15-20 minutes.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Too bad you are up there, I was the same way- everyone said 'do it yourself', or 'I did mine' - which was of no help. Because I did not want to. A local shop in Indy, 'SNS', did mine for me.
    Call a couple of your local shops, adn I am sure there is at least one guy who knows what he is doing and can take care of it for you.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Built mine on the kitchen table in short order. YouTube was my friend. Incredibly easy.

A thing to remember is that if you are curious or get stuck, stop and go back to google/youtube. Or come right back here and ask.

One thing NOT to do is be on a close deadline to shoot your new build. Take your time and allow time for sorting issues out.

Subsequent builds were done with the parts under a clear "bed-in-bag" bag like you get a sheet/comforter set in.
    Any parts that "get away"are captured in the bag where they were easy to retrieve.

I used a pictorial I found on AR15.com for my first build and it only took about 45 minutes.

I bought a built lower from another INGOer some years back. I put my upper on it. Something wasn't quite right, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Google search turned up the culprit. Two spring/detent sets were swapped for each other. ARFCOM knew exactly what the (common) issue was. Quick swap and back in biz.

This is a good reminder to have an oops kit. Brownells has a variety. I think mine might have been from Damage Industries?

1631065517909.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I hear personal bubbles are excellent at keeping those kind of parts close. They also work great for social distancing no mask required.
    1631092761881.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Too bad you are up there, I was the same way- everyone said 'do it yourself', or 'I did mine' - which was of no help. Because I did not want to. A local shop in Indy, 'SNS', did mine for me.
    Call a couple of your local shops, adn I am sure there is at least one guy who knows what he is doing and can take care of it for you.
    Any gunsmith can assemble an AR with no problem. If you can find one that isn't super busy now days.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for your replies gentleman. it was a big help. however, but, I am afraid to report that on Friday I found out that this Monday I'm going in for a triple bypass. kind of takes me away from my hobby for a while.
    Sorry to hear that! But on the bright side, putting an AR together might be a good project while you convalesce. Best of luck with the procedure and hope you recover quickly!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Thanks for your replies gentleman. it was a big help. however, but, I am afraid to report that on Friday I found out that this Monday I'm going in for a triple bypass. kind of takes me away from my hobby for a while.

I am glad to hear they caught it!

Best regards for you on Monday and a speedy recovery.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I bought an ar-15. Took it shooting once. This putting being the second time I had ever fired one. So I knew basically nothing.

I took to Google to learn ar anatomy.
    Ordered parts bought a stripped lower and spent time on YouTube learning how to put it together. I've built two in total. You could drop a box of parts in front of me and I could get it together. Ar's are remarkably simple.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always used two layers of black electrical tape.
    If one buys the proper roll pin punch set and a proper set of roll pin starter punches these tasks become very easy.

wow. Just read of your medical set back.
    get well. We are here with way to much advice when you get better.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I recommend these two Wheeler tool sets. Especially the one on the left, it was a godsend for installing the roll pin for the bolt catch.
    20210915_113839.jpg

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    The good news was I did not have to have a triple bypass. the bad news was I had quintuple bypass with 5 arteries replaced. that was on Monday afternoon. the doctor said it was as bad as he's ever seen it. he didn't understand why I had not dropped dead the past sometime during the past 6 months, but I'm all fixed up now and going home today on Thursday

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The good news was I did not have to have a triple bypass. the bad news was I had quintuple bypass with 5 arteries replaced. that was on Monday afternoon. the doctor said it was as bad as he's ever seen it. he didn't understand why I had not dropped dead the past sometime during the past 6 months, but I'm all fixed up now and going home today on Thursday

Glad to hear the good report....and very happy to hear they caught it....You're a lucky man!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Awesome! Great news.

Top Bottom