• ...and so much more!
  • Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Hi guys...

I have a complete AR 15 kit from PSA, with a stripped Anderson lower, that needs to be put together. I have neither the knowledge or setup to do so. If anyone could help me out with the build out it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be happy to slip you a twenty or a six-pack, which ever comes first.

I live in the Crown Point area, and can travel a bit to get to you. I am available most days and nights.

Thanks

Rick

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not close to you, but have you checked youtube? That's how I learned to build my first one. Not a lot of specialized equipment required really.

What kind of kit? Complete lower/complete upper? Stripped lower and lower parts kit with a complete upper (that's what I started with)? Totally from scratch (stripped upper, barrel, stripped lower, LPK, etc.)?

They're fun to build. I'm no gunsmith so that's why I went with the complete upper. It's like Lego for grownups! :): Best of luck to you, and enjoy!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Youtube has instructed many a rifle builder out there. Brownell's has a lot of informative videos also.

Don't get hung up on any one source of info. There are plenty of places to go verify, as you should.

Be wary of those who view themselves as cornering the market on smart. :nono:

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Found this video. This is just the Lower assembly.

This is Larry Potterfield lower assembly instructions. Video inside the link.

Assembling the upper. Larry Potterfield

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As I recall these are good videos.

Just dont fall for the armload of tools Larry says you need. You dont. I did mine with a handful of tools.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I'm not so close to Crowne Point, but I did my first lower a few weeks back. It wasn't too bad if you can get the couple of tools needed. Menards sells Wylde punches - Made in the US and affordable punches. Can even find non-marring plastic hammers. Your LGS should have the wrench needed for the castle nut. There are many articles and videos on it, but here's the one I used:
    If each of those steps seems doable to you, give it a go.

I find the Midway videos extremely informative even if you just want to watch people work on guns.

There is a small FFL with light armory services up in your neck. I don't think he does AR assembly, but you could ask: https://www.dbgfirearms.com/
    I emailed him once for a firearm on his site (sadly he had just sold it). He seemed very polite from the singular interaction.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh and my recommendation. When driving the pin for the bolt release, put several layers of masking tape down the side of the lower. That way you dont scratch it up trying to drive that pin.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hi guys...

I have a complete AR 15 kit from PSA, with a stripped Anderson lower, that needs to be put together. I have neither the knowledge or setup to do so. If anyone could help me out with the build out it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be happy to slip you a twenty or a six-pack, which ever comes first.

I live in the Crown Point area, and can travel a bit to get to you. I am available most days and nights.

Thanks

Rick
    Is it a complete upper or does it need assembled also? The upper imo is easier than the lower to put together. Again that's just me.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    As I recall these are good videos.

Just dont fall for the armload of tools Larry says you need. You dont. I did mine with a handful of tools.

Yes, a pair of vice grips, some punches, a roll of duct tape and a castle nut wrench are about all you need for a lower. I usually find a second pair of needle nose vice grips helpful and there are a few tools specific to ARs that can make life a bit easier but you can make do with less.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you can build legos you can build a lower. I personally like the aero lowers bc no roll pins to drive.

that’s the hardest part IMO. Don’t let anyone tell you it takes fancy tools. I built many of mine with tools out of my carpenter apprenticeship tool box.

Top Bottom