• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If she prefers a revolver this is what I'd look at. With the variety of ammo they shoot you can find loads from powderpuff recoil to very good defensive rounds. I'd do that over any light weight 38/357.
    I'd go with a Kimber K6s 357 magnum over a Ruger SP101 in 327 magnum. The Kimber is a bit smaller and 4 ounces lighter, but still a 6 shot capacity. At 23 ounces, it would be comfortable to shoot with just about any 38 load, and manageable with lower end 357 magnum.

327 magnum is a good round, but unless you've already got a good stock of ammo, you might be out of luck trying to find any significant quantity. Easier to come by 38 and 357, and the powder puff to magnum load availability still applies.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    My wife is in the same predicament and finally decided it was time to get her conceal carry permit.

I've noticed she always has trouble racking the slides of my handguns. So that said, I'll be getting her a S&W M&P EZ if I can find any available. Probably the newer 9mm since I actually have ammo in that caliber.

I got to handle one last year and manipulating the slide is like half the effort of a traditional handgun. That would be my recommendation to anyone that has trouble racking a slide.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'd go with a Kimber K6s 357 magnum over a Ruger SP101 in 327 magnum. The Kimber is a bit smaller and 4 ounces lighter, but still a 6 shot capacity. At 23 ounces, it would be comfortable to shoot with just about any 38 load, and manageable with lower end 357 magnum.

327 magnum is a good round, but unless you've already got a good stock of ammo, you might be out of luck trying to find any significant quantity. Easier to come by 38 and 357, and the powder puff to magnum load availability still applies.
    Ammo availability is definitely a problem right now with anything, so yes on that. I've shot a bunch of light weight 38s and 357s and none were pleasant with anything more than a light load 38, and downright obnoxious with 357s of any flavor. Last thing I'd want to do is give a relatively inexperienced shooter something that could cause them problems, like flinching.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ammo availability is definitely a problem right now with anything, so yes on that. I've shot a bunch of light weight 38s and 357s and none were pleasant with anything more than a light load 38, and downright obnoxious with 357s of any flavor. Last thing I'd want to do is give a relatively inexperienced shooter something that could cause them problems, like flinching.
    True, but a K6s at 23 ounces isn't exactly lightweight. Airweights are 15 ounces, and those things are annoying to shoot with anything other than mild wadcutters. A 23 ounce revolver is fine with most any 38 load. I've got a S&W Model 36 that's all steel and 19.5 ounces unloaded, and it's easy to handle with 38 +P loads.

Another couple of advantages for the Kimber K6s over the SP101 is the superior DA trigger and the 3 dot sights. Both make it easier to master for a new shooter who chooses a small revolver.

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    My wife has 2 different carry guns, her favorite is her LCR in 22 Magnum loaded with Hornady 25gr NXT, the other is a KelTec P3AT load with Lehigh Defense 65gr Xtreme Defense round. Both of which "I" believe are the absolute minimum calibers, however she is extremely recoil sensitive, and with these she can/will carry and fire if the need arises. My feeling is get her what she is comfortable shooting and practice as much as possible. Even if its only a 22, buy it, shoot it, carry it!

Top Bottom