• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    Taking her to the range is a great first step. Let her try out a bunch of stuff. My anticipation is that she will like something a bit heavier. Perhaps even a DA/SA like a CZ rami.

The 365 and hellcat are both good guns If you think that she would want something small. I would advise that she carry biggest heaviest thing that she knows that she will enjoy shooting and actually carry.

In this day and age there aren't a lot of horrible guns. Most made by manufactures with good names will be functional. Find the one that works for her and go with it.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    A lot of good info here. Keep us updated. I like to hear what people end up with and if their expectations were met... good research for future threads lol

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You have the gun. The PPK/s heavy enough to handle the 380’s on recoil. enough power for self defense. Small enough for purse carry. I take it that you have field tested it for functional ability.
    The only two bad things are ammo and a heavy slide spring. Can she rack that slide as they are almost always very strong springs. Ammo. Hard to find outside round nose. Maybe harder than 9mm.
    The old interarms imports are the ones I have.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Taking her to the range is a great first step, that way she'll get to try a variety of handguns and get a better idea of what works for her. I would also suggest looking at what she enjoys shooting to see what aftermarket support there is for it: how expensive are spare magazines? Are there good quality holsters available? etc.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Don't be afraid to let her try whatever gun fits her hand. Don't let caliber deter her. I carry a .45 most of the time. If she had difficulty racking the slide, have her hold the slide and push the gun forward. It is much easier that way. I have a Springfield XD that I carry most of the time. I do have a .38 revolver that is great for pocket carry (in an appropriate holster).

This site is a good resource for her...many articles about what to carry, how to carry, how to handle the firearm, etc. https://thewellarmedwoman.com/where-do-i-start/

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just went through this with my daughter-in-law. She liked the fit of a J-smith but not the recoil. Liked the recoil of .32 ACP with BB ammo. Did not like the safety on the Beretta but liked the 1903 Colt best. She ended up settling on .32 H&R Mag/327 Mag Ruger SP101. Using max loaded RNFP lead you won't want to be on the reciving end. Now she can keep 6 rounds rapied fire in the chest area or pelvic area.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    Thank you everyone for their input and advice. Due to the unnavailability of ammo at our local range, we had to forego the plan to go try a few out (they literally have none, zero ammo).

With that said, we did pull the trigger on a second hand M&P SD9 9mm from a seller here in the classifieds, and she is very happy! Looking forward to getting her to the range once we can get our hands on some ammo. Permit application is in for the lifetime, and she gets her prints tomorrow.

She definately wanted something with some punch, but not a .45. The value of the SD9, combined with the reliability made it an easy decision. She had shot my M&P 40 before, and the SD9 is like a slimmer version of that, plus all my holsters and accessories fit it as well.

Now she thinks it's funny because she has the 'bigger' gun! (since I carry the P238). Lol!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    SD9 is an excellent pistol. The trigger is a little bit long and heavy, but certainly manageable and no worse than a lot od DA revolvers. They fit in M&P holsters and even take M&P night sights. You did well.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    SD9 is an excellent pistol. The trigger is a little bit long and heavy, but certainly manageable and no worse than a lot od DA revolvers. They fit in M&P holsters and even take M&P night sights. You did well.
    Thanks! Fortunately the seller had already upgraded the trigger springs with MCARBO, and NDX guide rod assembly, and extended takedown lever. Won't know for sure until we get it to the range how it all feels, but dry firing felt pretty good. I've only used APEX, but the MCARBO has good reviews.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Since you're in NWI, check out the sub forum for that region. Members up your way get together to shoot at Winamac pretty regularly. I'm willing to bet someone would be open to selling you some 9mm so your wife could run a few rounds through it.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    Since you're in NWI, check out the sub forum for that region. Members up your way get together to shoot at Winamac pretty regularly. I'm willing to bet someone would be open to selling you some 9mm so your wife could run a few rounds through it.
    Thanks, I will check it out! My dad down in Indy has some reserve 9mm, so we'll get some eventually. I hadn't heard of Winamac, not too far, thanks!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I have heard good things about the Taurus G3. The price is right not to small not to big..I dont own one but am thinking about it. They are usually available

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    BTW, I couldn't find an NWI specific sub forum, but I did find a bunch of NWI posts in the events sub. Is this what you were referring too? I would love to find an NWI specific sub if there is one.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    You have the gun. The PPK/s heavy enough to handle the 380’s on recoil. enough power for self defense. Small enough for purse carry. I take it that you have field tested it for functional ability.
    The only two bad things are ammo and a heavy slide spring. Can she rack that slide as they are almost always very strong springs. Ammo. Hard to find outside round nose. Maybe harder than 9mm.
    The old interarms imports are the ones I have.
    I really wish I could say I still had it, it was one of the ones sold a couple of years ago to make ends meet during a rough time. It was one of my favorites, had the handgrip crimson trace, but it wasn't the most reliable either. That is one reason I went to the P238. I'll buy another one day, as I loved it for sure.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Just went through this with my daughter-in-law. She liked the fit of a J-smith but not the recoil. Liked the recoil of .32 ACP with BB ammo. Did not like the safety on the Beretta but liked the 1903 Colt best. She ended up settling on .32 H&R Mag/327 Mag Ruger SP101. Using max loaded RNFP lead you won't want to be on the reciving end. Now she can keep 6 rounds rapied fire in the chest area or pelvic area.
    If she prefers a revolver this is what I'd look at. With the variety of ammo they shoot you can find loads from powderpuff recoil to very good defensive rounds. I'd do that over any light weight 38/357.

Top Bottom