• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    Imho, Revolvers are not a great choice contrary to old timer legend. Shooting a smaller revolver even in a lighter 38spl is a pain to shoot and takes a lot of practice. Simple to operate, yes, if its a dao. You dont save much in weight or size as compared to a single stack 9. something like the s&w shield 380 ez would be my top choice for a novice shooter with a light load requirement. :2cents:
    Great feedback, thank you for the insight.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Good for her. I wish my mom had the same mindset. Mine is pretty anti-gun.
    She is a tough old bird. About 20 years ago, when my dad was still alive (with Alzheimer and Parkinson's), a car followed them up their drive to our ranch in Texas, and demanded her purse. She fought with the guy and eventually gave in to him, but only after he had knocked her to the ground. She drove herself to the hospital and had a broken neck (don't remember which C's it was, but they had to go in through the front of her neck and fuse several together).

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have buckets of .22, and about 24 rounds of .380 for my personal carry. I personally think we should start with a good .22...

Based on the fact that you have .22 ammo right now and not much else, that may be the course to take. It's no fun buying a new gun that she can't shoot for months because you can't get ammo for it. I'd say pick up the .22 now, work on the fundamentals, then upgrade to something center-fire later on once things get back to normal.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    Whatever she wants, after she has shot a variety of arms. If you don't have a selection, hit up your friends or spend time at a range with a good selection of rentals.

Her life, her carry style, her gun, her choice. If you wouldn't want me picking your carry piece, you don't want to try to pick hers.
    Probably the best advice I have seen so far, thank you for reminding me of the obvious priority here.

We went to Bass Pro and Cabela's today, and they had like, 1 or 2 guns in the price range and caliber to look at. I have never seen the display cases so empty (like 90% of the cases were empty). She just wanted a gun. I had to convince her why those were probably not the best guns for her, nor is this the right environment to make that decision without having other options to consider. After getting home and talking a bit more, I think your advice is spot on. I'll get her to the range with some rentals and once we have narrowed down what she really wants, we can get her the gun she both wants and needs.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Check out that link to the RR ladies only pistol class I posted up thread. Email event organizers and find out if she can get a loaner firearm in .22 lr. I am guessing they would accommodate that. While there she could almost certainly find other students willing to let her run a few rounds through their pistols.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    Check out that link to the RR ladies only pistol class I posted up thread. Email event organizers and find out if she can get a loaner firearm in .22 lr. I am guessing they would accommodate that. While there she could almost certainly find other students willing to let her run a few rounds through their pistols.
    I will, thank you so much for directing me to that!

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    My favorite is the Glock .380. After that, .380 Bodyguard, LCP. I do like the .22 LCP, and after some use, can move up easily to the .380.
    Definitely take her to local range that allows rentals. Then work from there.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thank you for the specific recommendations, this gives me something to focus on while researching. I think when I say compact, I am thinking small, but not necessarily micro like the ruger LCP. I owned one of those once, and it shot for **** on accuracy, so I got rid of that one pretty quick, when I went up to the Walther PPK/s, which was great, but heavy, and finally am happy with the Sig P238.

For my wife though, I am thinking a .380 or maybe a 9mm, even a .22lr. After talking with her more, she really just wants to own her own gun and spend more time at the range building her confidence. I am looking at some solid .22lr options now as we have plenty of .22lr ammo to practice without spending a lot of money. I have a full sized Ruger 22/45, threaded (and suppressed), but that is much too big for her to carry, so looking at revolvers and some of the .22 options now. She wasn't too thrilled about a .22, but when I started breaking down the costs of ammo, availability (or lack thereof atm), and how effective a .22 can be in the right hands, she seems open to the idea.

Another poster suggested a Taurus with a shotgun shell, which, if self defense was my only concern, would be a viable option for her.

Sound like we need to hit the range and rent a few option and really prioritize a bit before deciding on this.
    Sounds like you're doing a good job of researching, I'm sure you'll end up with something she enjoys. Just an FYI, the LCP II is not the LCP. It is much better in about every way you can imagine. Still not the most accurate, but I have and would again trust my life to it if needed.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I suggest carrying insurance for the next 4 years. USCCA has buy yours and get the spouse for 50%. Tell them I sent you and get us both some swag. They have a lot of training material too. PM sent

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Sounds like you're doing a good job of researching, I'm sure you'll end up with something she enjoys. Just an FYI, the LCP II is not the LCP. It is much better in about every way you can imagine. Still not the most accurate, but I have and would again trust my life to it if needed.
    I wouldn't. I've personally seen a Ruger LCPII launch its extractor downrange in less than 100 rounds out of the box. And the Rangemaster said it wasn't the first time he's seen that. If a .380 is what someone wants to carry, the answer is Glock 42. A easy handling, smooth shooting real pistol with real sights.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I wouldn't. I've personally seen a Ruger LCPII launch its extractor downrange in less than 100 rounds out of the box. And the Rangemaster said it wasn't the first time he's seen that. If a .380 is what someone wants to carry, the answer is Glock 42. A easy handling, smooth shooting real pistol with real sights.

I've run hundreds of rounds through my LCP II without an issue. The 2 G42's I had however jammed constantly. They were the first guns I'd gotten my wife, the LCP II's were what we bought after selling the G42's.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    I suggest carrying insurance for the next 4 years. USCCA has buy yours and get the spouse for 50%. Tell them I sent you and get us both some swag. They have a lot of training material too. PM sent
    I don't have a lot to lose if I ever found myself in that situation tbh, if I could afford it I would be all in for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've run hundreds of rounds through my LCP II without an issue. The 2 G42's I had however jammed constantly. They were the first guns I'd gotten my wife, the LCP II's were what we bought after selling the G42's.
    Early G42s did have issues, mostly having to do with the magazines. Those have been long cleared up and they now run like...well...Glocks.

The Glock is a basic, solid design that has worked well for decades. The LCPII is a modified Kel-Tec. You pay your money and you take your chances. I'd rather have a malfunction that I can clear than a flying extractor.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    Early G42s did have issues, mostly having to do with the magazines. Those have been long cleared up and they now run like...well...Glocks.

The Glock is a basic, solid design that has worked well for decades. The LCPII is a modified Kel-Tec. You pay your money and you take your chances. I'd rather have a malfunction that I can clear than a flying extractor.
    I feel like such a complete newb here, you guys have so much experience. Thanks for the replies and insight!

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Thank you for the specific recommendations, this gives me something to focus on while researching. I think when I say compact, I am thinking small, but not necessarily micro like the ruger LCP. I owned one of those once, and it shot for **** on accuracy, so I got rid of that one pretty quick, when I went up to the Walther PPK/s, which was great, but heavy, and finally am happy with the Sig P238.

For my wife though, I am thinking a .380 or maybe a 9mm, even a .22lr. After talking with her more, she really just wants to own her own gun and spend more time at the range building her confidence. I am looking at some solid .22lr options now as we have plenty of .22lr ammo to practice without spending a lot of money. I have a full sized Ruger 22/45, threaded (and suppressed), but that is much too big for her to carry, so looking at revolvers and some of the .22 options now. She wasn't too thrilled about a .22, but when I started breaking down the costs of ammo, availability (or lack thereof atm), and how effective a .22 can be in the right hands, she seems open to the idea.

Another poster suggested a Taurus with a shotgun shell, which, if self defense was my only concern, would be a viable option for her.

Sound like we need to hit the range and rent a few option and really prioritize a bit before deciding on this.
    My wife really likes the Ruger SR-22.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I feel like such a complete newb here, you guys have so much experience. Thanks for the replies and insight!

Gotta start somewhere. You're asking questions and looking into things and that's how you learn. Plenty of reviews on YouTube and other sources for more info on specific guns. Don't take anything as the gospel, but good for general info.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    Gotta start somewhere. You're asking questions and looking into things and that's how you learn. Plenty of reviews on YouTube and other sources for more info on specific guns. Don't take anything as the gospel, but good for general info.
    Yeah, it's not so much a start as finding the right fit for her at the moment. Everyone has been so helpful so far with lots of things to research. I think she won't be happy with a 22, and a 9mm seems like the right fit if we can find the right gun for her.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    My wife likes to carry the ruger ec9, nut also liked the m&p shield. I like she can shoot a 9mm but most important to me is she likes the gun and can shoot it well. If was a 22lr she liked then that would be it. If she doesn’t like to carry it then she likely wont want to carry it very often. I say the biggest caliber she is comfortable with is good.

Top Bottom