• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    In my younger gun collecting days when I thought everything needed to be tacticool, I bought a Romanian SAR1 AK. Proceeded to remove all the wood furniture and replace it with Magpul. Fast forward a few years and now I want that furniture back. But alas, it has vanished into the unknown.

Therefore, I need to source some good wood furniture for my SAR1 to bring it back to glory. Anyone have a good recommendation on where to source good AK wood furniture? Anything I should know about color & style of furniture to look for to make the SAR1 as authentic as possible?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    To dong or not to dong; that is the question.

Are you looking for a PM md. 63 (fixed wood stock) clone, or a newer md. 90 (wire folding stock) clone? Apex has just about everything you'd need at decent prices. It's personal preference if you want a dong or palmswell lower handguard (and both are accurate for Romanian AKs), but for me the Romies look awesome with a dong. You can even pick up an early wooden Romy pistol grip at Apex, if you want to rock that over a bakelite grip.

Northridge also has full Romanian furniture sets in stock. The AK Files marketplace is another option, where if you can't find it, a simple WTB ad will all but certainly do the trick.

ETA: Here's one of my Romy G kits wearing md. 63 furniture, to give you a better idea of color and grain. Is your SAR-1 barrel threaded? Ignoring the SAR's optic rail, you could argue the sugar scoop muzzle brake isn't as accurate as a basic muzzle nut for a 63 clone, but the Romanians switched to the brakes in the 1970s, so it still plays.

86Eqohjh.jpeg

Last edited:

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    SAR1 rifles came with a hardwood buttstock, hardwood palm swell handguards and a black US made plastic grip. I still see SAR1 stock sets come up for sale often on gunbroker and ak files, not cheap anymore though.

Pic of mine

20211124_081635.jpg

GBolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Are the black US grips not required any longer? At one time there was a requirement for a minimum number of US made parts, but Ive not kept up on this. Seems like the follower in the mag, maybe, was one US part?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    To dong or not to dong; that is the question.

Are you looking for a PM md. 63 (fixed wood stock) clone, or a newer md. 90 (wire folding stock) clone? Apex has just about everything you'd need at decent prices. It's personal preference if you want a dong or palmswell lower handguard (and both are accurate for Romanian AKs), but for me the Romies look awesome with a dong. You can even pick up an early wooden Romy pistol grip at Apex, if you want to rock that over a bakelite grip.

Northridge also has full Romanian furniture sets in stock. The AK Files marketplace is another option, where if you can't find it, a simple WTB ad will all but certainly do the trick.

ETA: Here's one of my Romy G kits wearing md. 63 furniture, to give you a better idea of color and grain. Is your SAR-1 barrel threaded? Ignoring the SAR's optic rail, you could argue the sugar scoop muzzle brake isn't as accurate as a basic muzzle nut for a 63 clone, but the Romanians switched to the brakes in the 1970s, so it still plays.

86Eqohjh.jpeg
    I opted not to dong. I just prefer the non-dong look. I was able to score a nice set of romanian wood furniture on GB for like $125. It is very similar in color to yours.

Again back in my younger days, I actually had the barrel threaded for a sugar scoop brake. I just prefer that look. It is held in place by a crush washer. Had I known better, I would have left the basic non-threaded barrel it came with. But live and learn.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I opted not to dong. I just prefer the non-dong look. I was able to score a nice set of romanian wood furniture on GB for like $125. It is very similar in color to yours.

Again back in my younger days, I actually had the barrel threaded for a sugar scoop brake. I just prefer that look. It is held in place by a crush washer. Had I known better, I would have left the basic non-threaded barrel it came with. But live and learn.

That's a pretty solid deal on the furniture. Bakelite grip included? Would love to see a pic when you de-tacticool it!

Are the black US grips not required any longer? At one time there was a requirement for a minimum number of US made parts, but Ive not kept up on this. Seems like the follower in the mag, maybe, was one US part?

Not a lawyer here, but I have always interpreted 922r as only applying to manufacturers, not to owners. I am not aware of a single law-abiding American ever being convicted for not having enough crappy domestic parts on an imported firearm. To me, it's an asinine thing to worry about.

Completely unrelated, it's probably not too difficult to grab a Dremel and engrave a "USA" into one's grip... :whistle:

Top Bottom