• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I'm in Johnson County but travel to W 71st Street in Indy every weekday. Anyone around that has the time and jig? I have a new pad that needs fitting to my Winchester rifle.

Thanks, Dinny

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Maybe, just maybe Indy Gun Club up by Geist Reservoir. I’ll swear there was a gunsmith up there that did that work.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It is hard to find someone that can do it correctly. I had what was supposedly a top notch, older gunsmith put one on my Beretta AL2 and he did not do a very good job at all.

When it came time to put one on my 10/22, I did it myself. I don't have a close up but it matches nice. I didn't use a jig. I just put layers of tape around the stock as I cut it down. When I got to the top layer, I removed it and continued on. I did this until I was one layer of tape away. Once I started removing the last layer of tape with my belt sander(clamped in a vise), I stopped.

10-22.jpg

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Actually, I already have one on the way. It's the same jig used by gracoil and is very similar to the one Larry Potterfield from Midway uses in his videos.
    May give it a try in the next week or so. I need to get a new pad on my old Model 12
    Probably the best choice.. having been there I would suggest rough cutting some 3/4” plywood and pretending it’s an unfitted pad. Do the scribe, chalk, etc. go to the sander with it in the jig and begin your practice. After a 4x8 sheet you will be ready for grinding rubber. Ask me how I know.. lol

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Probably the best choice.. having been there I would suggest rough cutting some 3/4” plywood and pretending it’s an unfitted pad. Do the scribe, chalk, etc. go to the sander with it in the jig and begin your practice. After a 4x8 sheet you will be ready for grinding rubber. Ask me how I know.. lol
    Grinding rubber can't be that bad if you're smooth, gentle and use a medium grit sandpaper. I've machines enough delicate materials to feel like I'm comfortable with giving it a go

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Grinding rubber can't be that bad if you're smooth, gentle and use a medium grit sandpaper. I've machines enough delicate materials to feel like I'm comfortable with giving it a go
    I agree with you. The thing that needs a few dry runs for the beginner is setting the angles to follow the couture of the stock. Some of the time the comb is 90 degrees but thee toe can be all over the board. I suppose it more about setting up the jig for both angles. The plywood or whatever material you use for your dry run will give some idea of what the finished pad is going to look like.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with you. The thing that needs a few dry runs for the beginner is setting the angles to follow the couture of the stock. Some of the time the comb is 90 degrees but thee toe can be all over the board. I suppose it more about setting up the jig for both angles. The plywood or whatever material you use for your dry run will give some idea of what the finished pad is going to look like.
    Dry run? Naw, I'll just jump in and see what happens lol.
    Per the instructions you set the comb angle And grind that end then readjust to set toe angle then grind it. If I botch it, a new pad isn't very much to lose

Top Bottom