• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Inherited a beautiful 1968 Marlin 39A Golden. I separated the halves to clean and lube it and now the lever won't cycle more than an inch or so. Stumped !

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    It's not in front of me right now, but IIRC, you should be able to operate the lever with the receiver halves separated. Does the problem occur with the halves apart, or only when re-assembled? If it's happening when the receiver is split, you ought to be able to see pretty clearly where it's binding. Be gentle...they're awesome rifles, but they're not making them anymore. Finding parts can be a real PITA.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Update: First off, thanks for the responses. Per 92FSTech's advice, I went to separate the halves, went to full cock and the lever is performing as normal. I don't understand the reasoning behind it but I hadn't pulled the hammer all the way back while trying the lever before and it seems fine now! WHEW !!

2nd issue is the foregrip, it is loose with about a 1/16" of slop. Any suggestions on tightening it up ?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Sorry, I can't be much help with the forend. Mine is rock solid, and I've never had it off. Are the screws in the end cap tight? Your best bet is going to be to figure out where the metal to wood fit is loose, and address it from there, either by properly tightening the fasteners, shimming it, or bedding it with epoxy. It all depends upon where and what the problem is.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Inherited a beautiful 1968 Marlin 39A Golden. I separated the halves to clean and lube it and now the lever won't cycle more than an inch or so. Stumped !
    I cannot even begin to help you with the issue you`re experiencing, but, I have to say, I LOVE your signature line. I have that very same quote as the last line on my email. LOVE it!

Top Bottom