Need a little help figuring out my Great Grandfathers rifle from WWI.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have old photo's of my great grandfathers unit from WWI. He was a corporal in the 145th Infantry, formerly the Fifth Ohio Infantry. One of the photo's is marked from Camp Sheridan in Nov of 1917. Looking up the history of the unit that seems to be correct.

What's missing in the photo's is a good picture of what rifle my great grandfather carried with him. I'm going to guess it was a 1903 but I wouldn't know what version. I was wondering if he'd had a 1917 eddystone, but I highly doubt it if he just got a brand new rifle months after it came out.

Any historians want to chime in with some guesses on what his rifle was? I'd like to know so I can pick one up in honor of my great grandfather.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    In WWI there was only one version of the '03, the '03a3 and '03a4 were WWII variants redesigned by Remington to replace milled parts with stamped parts and increase the sight radius.

As the article mentioned above states, the main battle rifle was the 1917, well over 60% of the US and allies used this rifle.

If you have read Sgt York's memoirs he was initially issued and trained with the '03 but upon arriving in France he was then issued "the English rifle" meaning the 1917. So your GGF could have had both.

I have pics of my father-in-law training at the naval station at the Great Lakes for WWII carrying a 1917.

My suggestion is buy both the '03 and the 1917 and remember him with each of them. Not only a safe move but a smart move as well...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    On a collectors note there is the Rock Island '03, Springfield '03, Winchester 1917, Remington 1917 and the Eddystone 1917 (which was a division of Remington). Once you have those then there is the high number and low number Rock Island '03 and the high number and low number Springfield '03. Just saying...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My suggestion is buy both the '03 and the 1917 and remember him with each of them. Not only a safe move but a smart move as well...

This is my ideal plan, but trying to find a good functional shooter of both is getting tough.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    They can still be had at CMP North and South sites. They are not available to buy online but examples are for sale at the locations. Get all the qualifications to join the CMP, it isn't hard, and plan a trip to Ohio or Alabama and pick one out.

They usually run in the 6-700 range.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    They can still be had at CMP North and South sites. They are not available to buy online but examples are for sale at the locations. Get all the qualifications to join the CMP, it isn't hard, and plan a trip to Ohio or Alabama and pick one out.

They usually run in the 6-700 range.
    I've only looked at their online store and never been to an actual CMP facility. I always thought they were out by looking at their website. Thanks for the heads up!

Top Bottom