• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Here's the question. I have been thinking more and more about carrying a neck knife. As pictured below, I have a couple to choose from. Which knife to carry is not the question, but the method of suspending it from my neck is. While the paracord method is certainly far stronger than a beaded chain, I have to wonder if it would be an issue if it were grabbed by an assailant or got hung up on a tree limb. Seems that a "break away" suspension method might be a bit more practical in actual day to day life. What say you knife guys?

20221129_114927.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Chain is breakable if opponent attempts a choke. Paracord can be tied in a fashion that allows a slip through escape. Still a choke hazard if assailant can locate both ends. Guess it depends on if you carry a backup knife to your backup knife.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Unless you're shirtless or wearing it outside your clothing, do ya really wanna be digging for that thing when a fight starts? At a minimum you'll be fighting one handed until ya get it out, ................if ya get it out.
    If it doesn't break away, it can be a choke hazard.
    If it breaks away in a fight, someone may now have your knife.
    Potential asphyxiation or stabbed with my own knife????? ...........................tough call.
    Now, if this thing isn't intended for self defense, or if it is, way down the list of tools more suited and accessible for the job, go for it.
    I'd definitely go break away.

I also carry a smallish knife every day, in a sheath, on my belt. I cannot think of a reason I'd use my knife in self defense over my sidearm other than someone closing the distance on me faster than I could pull the firearm or firearm failure. That, being said, I would make accessibility to the knife priority one. JMO

BTW, those are some good looking knives.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Not a fan of that type of carry, but there are some knives of the type that I like. One I got for both the wife, and daughter is the CRKT Obake. Told them to wear it at their waist like the young lady in this video. Of course the wife, being a teacher's aid, can't... so it has to hide in her purse...

I also have a Cold Steel Spike (old one with triangle blade) that I think is a little tank of a pig sticker.

Last edited:

Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville
    Here's the question. I have been thinking more and more about carrying a neck knife. As pictured below, I have a couple to choose from. Which knife to carry is not the question, but the method of suspending it from my neck is. While the paracord method is certainly far stronger than a beaded chain, I have to wonder if it would be an issue if it were grabbed by an assailant or got hung up on a tree limb. Seems that a "break away" suspension method might be a bit more practical in actual day to day life. What say you knife guys?

View attachment 239538
    I use paracord with a break away knot tied - works really well for my Izula, and retention is strong, takes a lot of force to break it away but not so much to pull me into something

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I used to carry one with paracord just because it's more comfortable. I never worried about those other scenarios you mentioned though.

I think if I were to carry one again, given those scenarios, I'd probably do a breakaway option. Either the breakaway chain, or paracord with a breakaway knot.

Christow19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2017
    Greencastle
    I have paracord and have never consider a breakaway option. I would be inclined to say the breakaway would be more beneficial seeing that whatever circumstance that the lanyard breaks away, you would be aware of it doing so and would not have worry about losing it by snagging. Self defense wise I cannot speak on

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I have that esee I bought for a neck knife. At the end of the day it’s just annoying. It’s light until you wear it around your neck and it flops around all day. Think it would make a much better boot knife.

Top Bottom