• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My old man bought a box lot at a local auction. It was full of misc tools, odds and ends.

He was going through it and found this gizmo. He had no idea what it was and brought it over to show me.

It's locked up, but it seemed clear the knob should turn and raise/lower the level bubble. Based on the vee base, it's meant to lay on something round. The graduations are what tipped me off that this might be a gun related object and not some basic hand tool. Seems like yardage.

After some google-fu, I found that it's a clinometer for sighting a Hotchkiss machine gun.

Is anybody familiar with these things? I see various pics of them on the interwebz with different markings after the "MAS". Does this indicate what gun it made for? I don't think it's a serial number, as that appears to on the backside.

HVCkN7Rl.jpg

Fa5OCIvl.jpg

yCcnZlml.jpg

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    My old man bought a box lot at a local auction. It was full of misc tools, odds and ends.

He was going through it and found this gizmo. He had no idea what it was and brought it over to show me.

It's locked up, but it seemed clear the knob should turn and raise/lower the level bubble. Based on the vee base, it's meant to lay on something round. The graduations are what tipped me off that this might be a gun related object and not some basic hand tool. Seems like yardage.

After some google-fu, I found that it's a clinometer for sighting a Hotchkiss machine gun.

Is anybody familiar with these things? I see various pics of them on the interwebz with different markings after the "MAS". Does this indicate what gun it made for? I don't think it's a serial number, as that appears to on the backside.

HVCkN7Rl.jpg

Fa5OCIvl.jpg

yCcnZlml.jpg
    That is really neat, ghuns!!!! My great grandfather lied about his age, and went to the Great War, at the age of 17. He served as a combat medic, ambulance driver. I got all of his memorabilia, including some French medals and a French soft cap, BUT NOTHING as cool and interesting as that!!!! They made stuff so well and robust back then!!!! Enjoy!!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Indianapolis
    That is really neat, ghuns!!!! My great grandfather lied about his age, and went to the Great War, at the age of 17. He served as a combat medic, ambulance driver. I got all of his memorabilia, including some French medals and a French soft cap, BUT NOTHING as cool and interesting as that!!!! They made stuff so well and robust back then!!!! Enjoy!!!!
    Very cool! My maternal great grandfather served in the motorcycle cavalry in WWI. One of my prized possessions is an old photo of him in uniform on his cycle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wonder if a good soak in penetrating oil followed by an ultrasonic clean might break it free?

Cool find.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Some machinist may have repurposed it as a level over the years, probably well made.. Nice find!

Top Bottom