• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It would have been really cool if the martian atmosphere sounded like Hendrix playing “The wind cries Mary”. The earlier audio I heard was just mechanical noise.
    Seriously cool, though. Ever since the first photos from Mars, I occasionally spend an hour or more just staring at them. When I was younger, I never imagined I would be able to get on a computer and look at actual photos of the surface of another planet.

Wanderer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Bloomington
    I watched the NASA press conference in which they unveiled that footage live yesterday; couldn't stop smiling while it was playing. I still have a hard time believing that sky-crane deployment maneuver for the rover works as well as it does, but this is the second time they've done it and now they have it on 30fps video for the world to see. Can't wait for the photos/video of the Ingenuity mini-helicopter flying around; should be the first time a human-made aircraft flies on a world other than Earth.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This neat an all...no question, but we've had pictures taken from the surface of Mars since 1976 and put a wheeled vehicle there in 1997.
    True, but HD video, audio capability and the first aircraft on another planet are pretty significant steps forward. As is the placement of the rover in an ancient lake bed in the search for signs of past life. First time that scientists have been able to actually watch the sky crane in operation as well, which was very cool.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I get it- but elsewhere (not here) I have seen a lot of people saying something like "first time we have seen the surface of Mars"....no. It's like saying that TV was invented when stations started broadcasting in 1080p.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I get it- but elsewhere (not here) I have seen a lot of people saying something like "first time we have seen the surface of Mars"....no. It's like saying that TV was invented when stations started broadcasting in 1080p.

Are they are going to take pictures of the flag Neil Armstrong planted?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Are they are going to take pictures of the flag Neil Armstrong planted?
    Probably not, he wasn’t anywhere near the first man on Mars, there were twilight zone episodes filmed on Mars in the early 60s. I think Roddy McDowell was one of the first to actually walk on the surface, AND be in a television episode filmed there.
    Neil Armstrong? Pffftttt!

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    True, but HD video, audio capability and the first aircraft on another planet are pretty significant steps forward. As is the placement of the rover in an ancient lake bed in the search for signs of past life. First time that scientists have been able to actually watch the sky crane in operation as well, which was very cool.

I don't think it's significant. In fact, I think it's a lot of wasted money and effort. It's foolhardy.

Everything about Mars wants to kill any human who steps foot on there. What little is left of the atmosphere is unbreatheable. Combined with the lack of magnetic poles, solar radiation will poison you in short order without serious protection, which would take a monumental effort to provide.

Mineral resources would require massive excavation and processing systems, and would probably yield less benefit than just shipping raw materials there.

The soil wants to kill everything you try to plant there, and poison your lungs and kill you if you breathe it in.

I don't know why we continue to explore this dead planet. There is no future there for mankind.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Just a fun TV show type production, Mars related.
    Plot: The soviets sent people to Mars in the 1980's.
    One of their children got sent back to Earth.
    It's not "Stranger In A Strange Land" but was kinda fun just the same.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't think it's significant. In fact, I think it's a lot of wasted money and effort. It's foolhardy.

Everything about Mars wants to kill any human who steps foot on there. What little is left of the atmosphere is unbreatheable. Combined with the lack of magnetic poles, solar radiation will poison you in short order without serious protection, which would take a monumental effort to provide.

Mineral resources would require massive excavation and processing systems, and would probably yield less benefit than just shipping raw materials there.

The soil wants to kill everything you try to plant there, and poison your lungs and kill you if you breathe it in.

I don't know why we continue to explore this dead planet. There is no future there for mankind.
    I prefer those who seek answers to those who think they already know everything. Just because the end result may not be a Walmart on Mars, that doesn't mean that there may not be interesting scientific data to be had on a planet that may very well have been much like earth billions of years ago. No great discovery was ever made by an incurious bean counter.

cannongray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2021
    Cleveland
    It cannot be overstated how simply amazing it is that NASA has pulled this off time and time again successfully. Let us never forget what a ridiculous, unbelievable accomplishment this is, every single time.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Well :poop: billions of $$ and could of went out my back door and done that and yesterday they might of got a Harley off in the distance . Someone owes me at least 5 million .

Top Bottom