• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Does anyone name their guns? I have several SKS carbines and thought about naming each after a historic female warrior from the same country as each gun. Or maybe just finding a female name from each country, historic or not, and using that. For example, for my Romy I'm thinking of using the name "Ileana", which looks like it means "torch" and for my Chinese rifle using the name "Jing Fei" which apparently means "quite not".

And to go a step farther, what about scratching the names into the stocks, sorta like trench art? Is that going too far?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I did name my guns. I'd go with whatever name the gun spoke to me during our first range trip. Then the wife came along, and she didn't like the idea. (She never said so out loud, but I was smitten with her and played it safe)

The scratching the name in the stock sounds cool, but I couldn't personally do it. But it would be cool if someone else did it. Lol

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Naming them? Scratching names into stocks...not so much. If it had been done to the rifle by a soldier in a actual war that is one thing, but just doing it yourself...IMHO not the same. Just my :twocents:

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I use a name for my concealed carry pistol so that the wife can ask if I am carrying. FWIW, the Sig P365 is "little dude" and the Glock 17 is the "big dog" same for the 1911.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Naming them? Scratching names into stocks...not so much. If it had been done to the rifle by a soldier in a actual war that is one thing, but just doing it yourself...IMHO not the same. Just my :twocents:
    Thanks, I'm a little hestant to do it. Problem is there is usually no way to tell if trench art is genuine. I have an old beat up SKS with something scratched into the stock that I can't quite make out (could be soldier's name), and some lines scratched into it as well, maybe indicating number of kills. All the wood on this gun almost looks like it went through a wood chipper a couple hundred years ago, even though it's only about sixty! But without knowing the history I don't really know if that is genuine trench art.

I use bright colored long zip ties as chamber flags. Maybe I should just attach a small tag to those with the name on it.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Does anyone name their guns? I have several SKS carbines and thought about naming each after a historic female warrior from the same country as each gun. Or maybe just finding a female name from each country, historic or not, and using that. For example, for my Romy I'm thinking of using the name "Ileana", which looks like it means "torch" and for my Chinese rifle using the name "Jing Fei" which apparently means "quite not".

And to go a step farther, what about scratching the names into the stocks, sorta like trench art? Is that going too far?

No
    Yes

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The .62 bore TC Hawken rifle is "The Rattler" because that's what it does to the windows.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've named several of my favorites. Usually I use a woman's name from the country of origin, otherwise sometimes just a name I like. A few examples. My favorite M39 is Kaarina, my wife's name in Finnish. Another well used war horse M91 is Aleksandra (defender of man), yet another is Thora (thunder). A Winchester model 67 is Grandpa, yeah it's old. My 54 caliber smoke pole is Ol' Death Dealer, cause it kills on BOTH ends.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I only have one named. The rifle in my signature line.
    It's also my favorite, and the most expensive.

Black Betty.

Because, after I bought it, I was on INGO talking about it a lot. It's a Black Rain Ordnance. Which was a bit to repeatedly type out.
    So, I was listening to Black Betty, and thought, what the heck.
    Black Betty is a .308, so she has a bit of a bite.

I have not labeled her. Cause I'm not sure how to do it that won't look like ****.

[video=youtube;I_2D8Eo15wE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2D8Eo15wE[/video]

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    100_4391.jpg 100_4153.jpg

Not all of them.

I have a pair of Cimarron Thunderer single action .45's with consecutive numbers that I call "The Twins."

Also two S&W hand ejectors, a 1st Model .44 Special and a 2nd Model .455 Webley that I call "The Patriarchs."

Each pair has a double shoulder rig from El Paso Saddlery. And yes, I periodically carry one or the other set.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I don't name them but my wife has, for the same reason as mentioned before - to ask if I have anything with me. Depending on what I have at the time; it may be Pete, Barney, or whatever else I may have.

"Hey, you have Pete with you?" I think it's funny.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    View attachment 79134 View attachment 79135

Not all of them.

I have a pair of Cimarron Thunderer single action .45's with consecutive numbers that I call "The Twins."

Also two S&W hand ejectors, a 1st Model .44 Special and a 2nd Model .455 Webley that I call "The Patriarchs."

Each pair has a double shoulder rig from El Paso Saddlery. And yes, I periodically carry one or the other set.

Very nice!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    yes i named 1 in memory of my wife rosemary -Rosie for short.Each Ivory grip panel has a rose in it and the bottom of the trigger guard is engraved with a rose. others who know the story started calling the gun Rosie.Something for the kids to fight over i hope.
    oG1KUW6.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    yes i named 1 in memory of my wife rosemary -Rosie for short.Each Ivory grip panel has a rose in it and the bottom of the trigger guard is engraved with a rose. others who know the story started calling the gun Rosie.Something for the kids to fight over i hope.
    oG1KUW6.jpg

That's beautiful work Walt.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I did name my guns. I'd go with whatever name the gun spoke to me during our first range trip. Then the wife came along, and she didn't like the idea. (She never said so out loud, but I was smitten with her and played it safe)

The scratching the name in the stock sounds cool, but I couldn't personally do it. But it would be cool if someone else did it. Lol

"Charlene"

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The 10-87 I hunt with is named "Sudden Death" it's collected turkeys, coyotes, and anything else over it's time spent in the woods.

Top Bottom