• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Now I don't have a target holder. Been thinking about a frame of some sort. I got a 4"x6" piece of hardened steel plate Friday, so I got off my duff, got to sawing, hammering and welding. No money used, just stuff lying around. I have my little pistol range out back in the woods. Gives me about 15 yards distance. Over the weekend I'll be adding plywood to face it off.

042812154650.jpg

042812154756.jpg

Not only am I a great carpenter I'm a great marksman too! :D

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Good work sir! Looks sturdy.

What's behind your back stop for the next mile or so?

Not trying to say you're a bad shot or anything, but even if guests shot there or something, if it were to go over the berm, where would it end up? I can't tell how tall the berm is but it doesn't seem HUGE. Accidents happen. lol

ETA: The other reason I'm asking is that it looks like the angle forces you to shoot at a slight up angle anyways.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Good work sir! Looks sturdy.

What's behind your back stop for the next mile or so?

Not trying to say you're a bad shot or anything, but even if guests shot there or something, if it were to go over the berm, where would it end up? I can't tell how tall the berm is but it doesn't seem HUGE. Accidents happen. lol

ETA: The other reason I'm asking is that it looks like the angle forces you to shoot at a slight up angle anyways.

Behind the natural berm it's deer pasture. about three -four miles to the nearest residence. I plan on building the berm up more and clearing the area a bit. you discerning eye has accurately caught the slight uphill angle. Oh, I too worry about accidents. I try to lessen the chances by keeping targets low to the ground.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Behind the natural berm it's deer pasture. about three -four miles to the nearest residence. I plan on building the berm up more and clearing the area a bit. you discerning eye has accurately caught the slight uphill angle. Oh, I too worry about accidents. I try to lessen the chances by keeping targets low to the ground.

:yesway:

Some people often don't think about things much past 100 yards on their "home ranges", glad to see you have. :)

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    How difficult would it be to just dig an area lower to set your frame in? My brother in law did that in his yard and sank 2 4X4 pressure treated posts in, and put a piece of pressure treated plywood behind them to keep the dirt from falling in when it rained and such. He filled the back of the plywood to the berm with sand. It works great.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    How difficult would it be to just dig an area lower to set your frame in? My brother in law did that in his yard and sank 2 4X4 pressure treated posts in, and put a piece of pressure treated plywood behind them to keep the dirt from falling in when it rained and such. He filled the back of the plywood to the berm with sand. It works great.

I was thinking where I'd get the dirt to beef up the berm and you gave me the solution! Thank you sir! :)

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My kinda guy-using materials on hand and not spending a dime, good stuff. I often entertain ideas of what my home range will look like-need to first get that piece of land first though:D

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I would stick to handguns I shot a steel plate similar to yours today at a friends house today and put a 1/2 in hole in it with a .223 hollow point

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    it would be just a little less to maintain if you could hang the plate so that it sits either in front of or behind your 2x4 support posts. it won't take much bullet splatter to eat through those pieces of lumber being that they are on the same plane as your plate.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    it would be just a little less to maintain if you could hang the plate so that it sits either in front of or behind your 2x4 support posts. it won't take much bullet splatter to eat through those pieces of lumber being that they are on the same plane as your plate.

Thank you! Hadn't thought about spatter. I sorta knew the frame would be permanently temporary :n00b:

Top Bottom