• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have thought about this for awhile now. And I believe that I have made a decision....

I am retiring from woodturning. I haven’t made anything for a long time now. If I HAD to guess, it may be at least 3 years since I have made anything on my lathe.

I think I’m going to start selling some of my equipment off. And using the funds to get into something else that I can do with my little kids. I grew up riding atv’s. So that may be an option to think about.

Priorities change. And I’d rather have a hobby that my boys can benefit from as well.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Understandable, things change. I enjoy the pen I got from you years ago when you started your adoption journey. Your work has always looked great.:yesway:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been thinking about getting set up to do woodturning. I thought it might be a fun hobby to do in my actual retirement. But I am a ways off so the timing to buy your stuff is not right, but send me a PM of what you have. My son in law is working on setting up a woodshop and is always looking for tools.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.
    I’m still going back and forth on it. I spent a lot of time on the lathe, and have made hundreds of items with it. So it is a bit of a difficult decision.

My oldest, who is now 4, will be playing softball this spring. And I have a feeling that’s going to be the start of something. And I can barely keep up with him now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.
    I’m still going back and forth on it. I spent a lot of time on the lathe, and have made hundreds of items with it. So it is a bit of a difficult decision.

My oldest, who is now 4, will be playing softball this spring. And I have a feeling that’s going to be the start of something. And I can barely keep up with him now.
    I faced a similar thing when my kids got to the point of wanting to do things. I am a car nut. One day I was working on one of my hot rods and my son came out and said; "dad, sometime I'd like you take me fishing." That's all it took. I sold the car, bought a boat and we started fishing. That has led to numerous trips to the Boundary Waters where we formed lifelong memories.

I don't miss that old car a bit.

The times with kids will be gone in a blink. Don't miss it.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My sons are grown and have sons of their own now...but when my eldest came to me and wanted to join the new Cub Scout pack at his school, I had to lay my hobbies down and dive head first into scouting. My sons and I have canoed, caved, camped, hiked, biked, and everything else together during those times. They all got their Eagles over 20 years ago now...like gregkl said...it goes by in a blink, don't miss it. One other word of advice...take a million photos, and get the best ones printed out so you can hand them down.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have thought about this for awhile now. And I believe that I have made a decision....

I am retiring from woodturning. I haven’t made anything for a long time now. If I HAD to guess, it may be at least 3 years since I have made anything on my lathe.

I think I’m going to start selling some of my equipment off. And using the funds to get into something else that I can do with my little kids. I grew up riding atv’s. So that may be an option to think about.

Priorities change. And I’d rather have a hobby that my boys can benefit from as well.
    How about keeping the equipment, setting it aside for the time being, and dusting it off when the boys are old enough to learn the art?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    How about keeping the equipment, setting it aside for the time being, and dusting it off when the boys are old enough to learn the art?

I live in a 2 bedroom house. My shop is in the heated attached garage. With my equipment, I have no more additional room unless I park the vehicles outside. And I don’t want to do that.

My plan was to sell the lathe and use the funds and room for a new hobby for me and the boys.

If I had a larger house or even a pole barn, and had the extra money, I can see myself keeping it all.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I live in a 2 bedroom house. My shop is in the heated attached garage. With my equipment, I have no more additional room unless I park the vehicles outside. And I don’t want to do that.

My plan was to sell the lathe and use the funds and room for a new hobby for me and the boys.

If I had a larger house or even a pole barn, and had the extra money, I can see myself keeping it all.
    You can always pick up another lathe if you decide later on to get back into it. There will be plenty of boomers that are too old to be around spinning machinery and they will be selling them so they can move to Florida and play Pickleball. ;)

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Love doing woodwork especially on the lathe, haven't done any for about a year when we started our move from Illinois to Indiana. My wood shop was a couple blocks from the house we sold but did not go with the house. Everything is in storage until I can put up a new shop but that just got a lot closer because the sale should be final and I should have the money this week. Jim.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I recently downsized from the big shop. Sold my mill. Sold the "Good" welder and several other machines that sat idle a lot.
    I kept the lathe and glad I did. Ye it takes up some space. But it's there when I need it.
    And I am already regretting selling the Mill.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I recently downsized from the big shop. Sold my mill. Sold the "Good" welder and several other machines that sat idle a lot.
    I kept the lathe and glad I did. Ye it takes up some space. But it's there when I need it.
    And I am already regretting selling the Mill.
    The yo-yos were fun to make :)

I actually have 2 lathes. A really nice full size one, which is what I’ll be selling. And a Jet mini lathe. Which I think I’ll keep that one. It doesn’t take up a lot of room, and it should get me by IF I ever get the itch to make something round.

Top Bottom