• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    When I target shoot, I normally use the Shoot N C "Splatter" targets. Much easier to see where the shot went from a distance instead of running back and forth to look at the target.... I decided to try and make my own for a fun project as well as significantly lower cost...Turns out it's not difficult at all and works almost as well as the store-bought ones.

All you need is some bright colored poster board (.78 cents each at Dollar Tree), a roll of clear packing tape ($1.00 a roll at Dollar Tree) and spray paint ($1.34) at Walmart...No need to buy the more expensive Rustoleum etc... the cheap stuff works just as well...

I cut the 22" x 28" posterboard into equal parts...each target is 11" x 14" and that lets me make 4 targets from one piece of posterboard. Cover one side of the posterboard with the packing tape (be sure to slightly overlap each strip) so the entire thing is covered. Once taped, spray paint the taped side in the flat black (or your preferred color) side completely. I normally use flat black but have tried dark gray, brown etc. and they work just as well.

Once sprayed, let it dry and then I spray painted an orange 3" dot in the center for a point of aim. Again, you can use most any color you wish as well as any size point of reference, just make sure it contrasts with the original color of the posterboard...I normally use hot pink and lime green posterboard, but other colors work well also.

Thats all there is to it.... I've included a couple pics for reference.... they work almost as well as the store-bought targets and cost is about 30 to 35 cents a target.... can't beat that...

Attachments

• T1.JPG
      T1.JPG
      138.4 KB · Views: 33
    • T2.JPG
      T2.JPG
      107.9 KB · Views: 33
    • T3.JPG
      T3.JPG
      91.7 KB · Views: 34
    • T4.JPG
      T4.JPG
      80.4 KB · Views: 32
    Last edited:

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    When I target shoot, I normally use the Shoot N C "Splatter" targets. Much easier to see where the shot went from a distance instead of running back and forth to look at the target.... I decided to try and make my own for a fun project as well as significantly lower cost...Turns out it's not difficult at all and works almost as well as the store-bought ones.

All you need is some bright colored poster board (.78 cents each at Dollar Tree), a roll of clear packing tape ($1.00 a roll at Dollar Tree) and spray paint ($1.34) at Walmart...No need to buy the more expensive Rustoleum etc... the cheap stuff works just as well...

I cut the 22" x 28" posterboard into equal parts...each target is 11" x 14" and that lets me make 4 targets from one piece of posterboard. Cover one side of the posterboard with the packing tape (be sure to slightly overlap each strip) so the entire thing is covered. Once taped, spray paint the taped side in the flat black (or your preferred color) side completely. I normally use flat black but have tried dark gray, brown etc. and they work just as well.

Once sprayed, let it dry and then I spray painted an orange 3" dot in the center for a point of aim. Again, you can use most any color you wish as well as any size point of reference, just make sure it contrasts with the original color of the posterboard...I normally use hot pink and lime green posterboard, but other colors work well also.

Thats all there is to it.... I've included a couple pics for reference.... they work almost as well as the store-bought targets and cost is about 30 to 35 cents a target.... can't beat that...
    I like it and will give it a go. I am guessing you have a template you reuse for the point of aim target? Also when it is finished do you have to be careful with it as to not disrupt the paint. Guess I am asking does it travel well, if that makes sense.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I like it and will give it a go. I am guessing you have a template you reuse for the point of aim target? Also when it is finished do you have to be careful with it as to not disrupt the paint. Guess I am asking does it travel well, if that makes sense.
    I do have a template...I used a plastic Peanut container...remove the lid, cut it down to size and place lid side on target and spray inside the opening....this allows you to use whatever size you want for point of aim....The pretzel one is 3" and the coffee one is a little over 2", just depends on what fits your needs....once the paint is completely dry it is not an issue. I roll mine up (painted side in) and rubber band them for transport and just unroll when you're ready to use....never had an issue with cracking etc...

Attachments

• T5.JPG
      T5.JPG
      130.8 KB · Views: 17
    • T6.JPG
      T6.JPG
      124.6 KB · Views: 17

mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville

Thanks for sharing this idea. I am going to make some.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    You made my day. I’ve been repurposing all the cardboard Amazon boxes we get at our house for target practice, but I always stick Shoot-N-See stickers on them. I’ll try out your method and save some cash

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Decided to experiment with different colored backgrounds and center circle point of aim.....Can't wait to find out which ones are best....

Attachments

• T7.JPG
      T7.JPG
      101.2 KB · Views: 7
    • T8.JPG
      T8.JPG
      105.3 KB · Views: 7

Hunter12166

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2022
    Muncie

That's awesome thanks for sharing.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold

Genius! Did you come up with that by yourself?

Top Bottom