• ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    This is NOT a bashing! (Bassat: Pun attended) lol
    This is one reason I’m not a Kahr fan. I’m not a 6-7 shot pocket gun fan either. In my experience, yours may varry: The smaller the pistol, the more potential for problems. Stiffer recoil springs to absorb the recoil because of less slide mass….kinda stuff! I’m a “Compact" pistol kinda guy. I like full size pistols (G17/Sig P320 Full/M&P 1.0 Full) best but, the older I get, the less I tolerate the extra weight. Again, just me.
    I hope this works out for you though.

I would start with a complete slide dismantle and cleaning. Use no oil on the striker. Needs to be completely dry. I’d also disassemble the mags, giving them a complete cleaning too. Compare the spring length in them as well.

Any rhyme or reason as to which round in the magazine where the issues arose? First one? Middle one? Second to last? Just curious.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I know, I know. I have filed CS and RMA requests with Kahr. I still trust that they will take care of me. God, I can be such a sucker. The P365 I just sold fired about 1500 rounds without 1 hiccup.
    Just make sure you tell Kahr you completed their "200 round break in". Otherwise they will be talking you into shooting it more. Nothing more painful and disappointing than wasting money on ammo on a gun that just isn't going to function.

Last edited:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I'd sell it after you get it back and chalk it up as a $400 lesson
    If it works PROPERLY when I get it back, I'll start over with my testing. If it fails again, I will do exactly as you state. I just went through this last year with a CPX-2 G3. I wasted 400+ rounds on that POS, and a trip to the MFR. But it felt like a POS, and got a lot of crap reviews. I must have read 20 reviews on the CM9, some of them were "1,000 rounds and flawless" reviews. I FEELS like a quality gun. I will give them one chance. Honestly, I hope they just replace the damn thing. If they can't fix it, my next choice will be something with a better reputation, likely a S&W 642.

FYI, my list of guns I will NEVER own again:
    SCCY - didn't work out of the box, factory service made no noticeably change
    Para-Ordnance - P*15 .45 went full auto on me, then exploded
    Kimber - had a Custom II. Fed FMJ well, JHP not so much. My RIA was better.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Just make sure you tell Kahr you completed their "200 round break in". Otherwise they will be talking you to shoot more. Nothing more painful and disappointing than wasting money on ammo on a gun that just isn't going to function.
    Break-in? This ain't break-in problems. Break-in is the occasional FTF, FTE, Stovepipe. Slide lock on mags with ammo in them, light primer strikes, trigger reset failure all smack of spring problems, parts problems, gun problems. Break-in smooths out the performance of a working gun. This is not a working gun.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Break-in? This ain't break-in problems. Break-in is the occasional FTF, FTE, Stovepipe. Slide lock on mags with ammo in them, light primer strikes, trigger reset failure all smack of spring problems, parts problems, gun problems. Break-in smooths out the performance of a working gun. This is not a working gun.
    I know it's not. Basically saying don't let them convince you to try and shoot it more. None of that should be happening, let alone all of it happening.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    And buy another 365 with the $
    I sold the P365 because I like my new P365XL better. I was using X/XL grip frame on the 365, anyway. Plus, I have more faith in my muzzle velocity w/3.7" bbl vs 3.1". I believe the XL carries better; it seems to stay put in my AIWB holster than the standard model did. BTW, I have a Sig P365X/XL grip frame with cut for manual safety. If interested, initiate conversation, please.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I sold the P365 because I like my new P365XL better. I was using X/XL grip frame on the 365, anyway. Plus, I have more faith in my muzzle velocity w/3.7" bbl vs 3.1". I believe the XL carries better; it seems to stay put in my AIWB holster than the standard model did. BTW, I have a Sig P365X/XL grip frame with cut for manual safety. If interested, initiate conversation, please.
    All XL Wilson Combat modules for me on all of my 365's and my 365 XL. I've got 4 OEM modules laying around now, and that's not counting the 320 OEM modules.

I'm of the 1 is none mindset.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    All XL Wilson Combat modules for me on all of my 365's and my 365 XL. I've got 4 OEM modules laying around now, and that's not counting the 320 OEM modules.

I'm of the 1 is none mindset.
    Tried the WC X/XL grip first. Too fat for me and the texture was abusive on my girly nursing hands. :)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I mean...if you IWB carry a P365XL and needed a pocket gun, what was wrong with the standard P365? Bonus points for using the same mags as your IWB pistol.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Can't be just the trigger, as you seem to be fine with the P365 XL. Not exactly a world of difference in dimensions or weight (2 oz), but certainly a world of difference in quality, capacity, shootability and aftermarket support.

compare.PNG

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I mean...if you IWB carry a P365XL and needed a pocket gun, what was wrong with the standard P365? Bonus points for using the same mags as your IWB pistol.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Can't be just the trigger, as you seem to be fine with the P365 XL. Not exactly a world of difference in dimensions or weight (2 oz), but certainly a world of difference in quality, capacity, shootability and aftermarket support.

View attachment 277105
    That was my point as well. Buying into a platform with shared mags, holsters, same trigger feel, etc, that one knows works (still would run the individual gun of course before carrying), rather than rolling the dice on something like the Kahr that even if it does run, would be a one off in one's "system".

I prefer to stack'em deep.

That said, some folks want to learn some of these things on their own.

Last edited:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Plain and simple. I want DAO. After the fiasco with SCCY, and now the CM9, I am coming to the conclusion that the ONLY reliable way to get to DAO is with a revolver. Hence the 642, or some variant thereof. All of which I consider a damn shame. Is it really true that a company like Keltec made a reliable gun like the P32 (mine is over 1,000 rounds without fail) 20 years ago and now NOBODY makes a reliable DAO semi-auto?

I only have two problems with carrying the P32. #1.) It is so small that it is challenging at 7yds. #2.) .32 ACP is not the best defensive round. I am not bothered in the slightest by carrying 6+1 rounds of .32ACP, and one or two spare mags. But, I'd certainly like something with a bit more effective range. Seems like a 5-shot revolver is right up my alley.

My G21 has no safety, but I will never carry that gun; house gun only. My Keltec P32 has no manual safety, just a DAO trigger. The P365XL is a high quality, reliable gun, but I have a manual safety version because I don't like that light trigger on a carry gun w/o a safety. I hope those of you who are making the 'sameness' point across my handgun collection can appreciate the trigger point. My P365XL is the ONLY gun I have with a thumb safety. I am chasing consistency, here.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Plain and simple. I want DAO. After the fiasco with SCCY, and now the CM9, I am coming to the conclusion that the ONLY reliable way to get to DAO is with a revolver. Hence the 642, or some variant thereof. All of which I consider a damn shame. Is it really true that a company like Keltec made a reliable gun like the P32 (mine is over 1,000 rounds without fail) 20 years ago and now NOBODY makes a reliable DAO semi-auto?

I only have two problems with carrying the P32. #1.) It is so small that it is challenging at 7yds. #2.) .32 ACP is not the best defensive round. I am not bothered in the slightest by carrying 6+1 rounds of .32ACP, and one or two spare mags. But, I'd certainly like something with a bit more effective range. Seems like a 5-shot revolver is right up my alley.

My G21 has no safety, but I will never carry that gun; house gun only. My Keltec P32 has no manual safety, just a DAO trigger. The P365XL is a high quality, reliable gun, but I have a manual safety version because I don't like that light trigger on a carry gun w/o a safety. I hope those of you who are making the 'sameness' point across my handgun collection can appreciate the trigger point. My P365XL is the ONLY gun I have with a thumb safety. I am chasing consistency, here.
    The Glock has several safeties. 3 that I can think of:
    Striker block
    Trigger safety
    Double action trigger (The first part of the trigger pull finishes cocking the striker.)

If it were me, and I wanted a smooth, small, pocket type pistol, with not too much ammo in the loaded mag, I’d go with the G43 or the P365 w/o an external safety.

I grew up in the post war 1911 era. I absolutely HATE external safeties. That being said, the absence of one doesn’t mean there aren’t safeties on the gun.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    As promised, first range day report - Hot Off the Presses.
    It was a totally DISAPPOINTING trip. I took 300 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ, planning to shoot it all. The spirit was willing, but the gun WOULD NOT cooperate. I did not get one magazine, 6 or 7 round, through this gun without an issue. Most magazines-full had multiple issues. Problem #1 was light primer strike. The first 5 or 6 were re-fed and did go off on the second attempt. Then I saved a few to take to the counter for second opinions. At least two clerks looked at them and agreed, light primer strikes. Problem #2 was failure to reset the trigger. Not by me, by the gun! The first few I guessed may have been my fault, so I began taking my finger completely off the trigger and out of the trigger guard, and laying it on the slide like I was done shooting. Still got failures to reset the trigger. And last, but most certainly not least, was slide-lock with ammo still in the magazine. Again, I thought, maybe it is me. I fired a magazine one handed with low thumb. Nope, not me. I tried again left handed. No way I can be doing it accidentally left handed. Yet, it continued to happen. I grabbed the RSO and explained that this is a brand new gun, that I purchased at RANGE USA, and what was happening. He had experience with the CM9. He fired 3 magazines. He too, experienced all 3 problems: light primer strikes, failure to reset trigger, slide lock with ammo in the magazine. I will be asking Kahr to take a look at this gun.

Oh, no photos of this trip. Let's wait on that until the damn thing works.
    Wow
    Definitely send that back until they get it running like a sewing machine.
    I'd keep it going back until it was 100% the way I wanted it. Make them pay for their lack of quality control.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    The Glock has several safeties. 3 that I can think of:
    Striker block
    Trigger safety
    Double action trigger (The first part of the trigger pull finishes cocking the striker.)

If it were me, and I wanted a smooth, small, pocket type pistol, with not too much ammo in the loaded mag, I’d go with the G43 or the P365 w/o an external safety.

I grew up in the post war 1911 era. I absolutely HATE external safeties. That being said, the absence of one doesn’t mean there aren’t safeties on the gun.
    True, all.
    The striker block is a drop safety, isn't it? Has nothing to do with the trigger except being dis-engaged by pulling the trigger. It has no effect on trigger manipulation
    The trigger safety. You mean that little dongle that is the most annoying thing about shooting a Glock? After a few magazines, it hurts my trigger finger. No way that thing isn't going to get pulled right along with the trigger if you snag a shirt tail on re-holstering.
    Double action trigger pull that has absolutely no take-up, and breaks at 4# or so? It shoots like a SAO, at least my G21 does. If I release only to reset, I have essentially a single action trigger. There is no 'first part' to the trigger on my G21.

And, none of this solves my DAO issue. The safest pistol I've ever carried was a cocked and locked 1911. Thumb safety effectively blocks trigger movement. Grip safety effectively blocks trigger movement. The firing pin safety (a really bad, unnecessary feature) of the Series 80 effectively blocks firing pin movement. To my mind, there is no safer handgun than a 1911. I am simply no longer willing to lug around 3# of steel. The choice to move to DAO is one of convenience and consistency. With DAO there are NO safeties to train with/for. The Keltec P32 works just fine for my purposes. As will a J-frame revolver. It smokes my goat, more than a little, that DAO pistols are seemingly extinct. I expect a response from Kahr early next week about my CM9 issues. I've already found a Kahr video that may solve my 'slide lock with a loaded magazine' issue. Will try that out later today.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Wow
    Definitely send that back until they get it running like a sewing machine.
    I'd keep it going back until it was 100% the way I wanted it. Make them pay for their lack of quality control.
    I believe the slide lock issue is solvable with a slight adjustment of the slide lock spring tensioner. No way they'd notice an issue with that by firing only 1 test round. The light primer strikes and not resetting the trigger sound like spring issues to me. That SHOULD be an easy fix. Hopefully, this does not cost me repeated bouts of shipping costs. And let me repeat, I'd prefer they just take it back and replace the whole damn thing.

Top Bottom