• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sorta stealing a line from John Daub . I have been saying for a while now I realy like the 5 yard round up as a minimum test for a person and their intended carry gun. Does it mean you are an operator? No, but I think if are going to carry for defense of your life, this is a good starting point. https://blog.krtraining.com/five-yard-roundup-drill/ https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/start-shooting-better-episode-8-five-yard-roundup/

At todays trip to the range I took my current carry gun, a 365XL, a new (although old) addition a S&W 642 in the pocket, and a gun that might end up being my carry, a Staccato C2. As you can gather from the pics, I have not shot the snubby much lately. As a matter of fact other than letting new shooter try it, it probably hasn't seen more than 30 rounds through it since I used it in a Snubby class at Sand Burr Gun Ranch years ago after having Denny work his magic on it. I have added this gun to a pocket as a always with me gun no matter what else I am carrying. Clearly I need to do some dry practice with it to get used to the DA trigger again.

PXL_20220524_222150215.MP.jpg PXL_20220524_223429313.MP.jpg PXL_20220524_222144717.MP.jpg

So as you can see, even at the lower level, there are some things that I may do with one gun and not another, however strictly from a get out of trouble gun, they should all get the job done.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Good shooting!!! This right here models exactly why I carry a Staccato P or a P365X both with optics now. Used to run a ultralight J-Frame but given current events I do not feel comfortable making 10+ yard headshots with one so they are out for me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Whoa whoa whoa.... Hold yer' Michigander horses.

We're supposed to have standards? MINIMUM Standards? We're supposed to train? Practice? Perish the thought!

Listen, I have standards. They're low, but they're standards, OK?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Good shooting!!! This right here models exactly why I carry a Staccato P or a P365X both with optics now. Used to run a ultralight J-Frame but given current events I do not feel comfortable making 10+ yard headshots with one so they are out for me.
    Ya, the J frame won't be a replacement for anything, just a supplement. Still need some kind of skill with it though. There are a lot of people out there who think they are well armed with these, but only a fraction of them actually are.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Yeah, it doesn't look particularly easy. What is the diameter of the black scoring section? I'm going to look to see if I have any targets that approximate it, otherwise I'll make one and give it a go.

That course of fire is somewhat similar to the first few stages of the ILEA pistol qualification course, but the qual target is enormous.

Attachments

• ILEA Handgun Qualification Course 2018 Proposed.pdf
      269.8 KB · Views: 9

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Yeah, it doesn't look particularly easy. What is the diameter of the black scoring section? I'm going to look to see if I have any targets that approximate it, otherwise I'll make one and give it a go.

That course of fire is somewhat similar to the first few stages of the ILEA pistol qualification course, but the qual target is enormous.
    It is a standard B-8 target. The 9 ring is 5.54″, 10 ring is 3.36″ and the X ring is 1.695″ in diameter. It is not a difficult drill, but I find it to be an easy to administer metric that fits well with the "typical" self defense scenario. Even though it isn't difficult, when you put people who are not used to shooting against time on it, they often fall apart. Clearly we, as enthusiasts want to move beyond this.

The ILEA qual looks similar to the FBI one and is pretty good. The FBI uses the bottle target which is more realistic in size than the old B-27. Of course many people have problems with the 25 yard string.

Top Bottom