• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Anyone else find this commercial by Mitch Daniels as hilarious as I do?

The ad scrolls through all these alleged good things he's done and the commercial's director plays pirates of the carribean music in the background to be funny?

:bash:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=YsR-zyHT_i0[/ame]

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like it. I think he's been getting a bad rap because he's had to make some unpopular decisions to clean up the incredible mess left by the last two morons in the Gov's office. My fear is that he's going to have to pay for those decisions come election time and we'll end up right back in the crapper again.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I too think he's done a great job. he has done all of those things in the ad. It is unfortunate that you only hear about what people think are the bad things. He's had to do a lot of things that people weren't happy with but were in the best interest of Indiana and the people.

He's brought something like over 100,000 jobs into Indiana since he started. Of course, there are a lot of people out of work now too but unfortunately that isn't necessarily his fault.

I like the cap on the property tax. I am not sure how well that's going to work out in the end but I don't really hear too many people complaining about a 1% of assessed value tax cap. That's half of what we are paying now. I'll be quite happy with that.

He is the only governor that has shown any interest in actually cutting the budget and doing so.

I can't remember if it was he who wanted all day kindergarten but I think it was and that's a great idea. Right now, it's only like 3 hours long and during that time they probably only get 1 hour of education. I know they are only 5 but other countries work a lot harder on education and I think we need to do so as well.

I'm for Mitch if you can't tell and I'll definitely be voting for him when the time comes and will have his Mitch sign in my front yard again!

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Mitch has at least two blunders:
    1. Toll road: we received a discounted amout of money in the short term but gave up all the future earnings. Sounds good at first, and funds Major Moves highway work that is good, but future Hoosiers will NOT receive any $ from the toll road like they would have. Kind of like you asking your boss to pay you all your future earnings now, but discounted. Years later you're still working, but not being paid. Better hope you saved/invested the $, but we spent it on goods that will be crappy in a few short years.
    2. Daylight savings time: playing with the clock doesn't add any day light, why don't we just move the clock forward all your round? It disturbs my sleep pattern twice a year.

PS. Mitch didn't create any jobs, but he did engineer ways to spend Hoosier's money to buy jobs for a select few people. The 1% stadium tax? Means many fund the high paying jobs of very few.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    2. Daylight savings time: playing with the clock doesn't add any day light, why don't we just move the clock forward all your round? It disturbs my sleep pattern twice a year.

If I had my choice, I'd take the whole country off DST since it's mostly a complete waste of time and money. But since that's not likely to happen, bringing Indiana into line with the rest of the States makes sense and makes it a whole lot easier to conduct business.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I had my choice, I'd take the whole country off DST since it's mostly a complete waste of time and money. But since that's not likely to happen, bringing Indiana into line with the rest of the States makes sense and makes it a whole lot easier to conduct business.

Absolutely correct!

Mitch has done some things I really didn't agree with, especially suggesting that ridiculous 16% sales tax increase. Still gotta vote for him though, he has done much more good than bad and the alternative...
    ...well it's just not realistic.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Mitch has at least two blunders:
    1. Toll road: we received a discounted amout of money in the short term but gave up all the future earnings. Sounds good at first, and funds Major Moves highway work that is good, but future Hoosiers will NOT receive any $ from the toll road like they would have. Kind of like you asking your boss to pay you all your future earnings now, but discounted. Years later you're still working, but not being paid. Better hope you saved/invested the $, but we spent it on goods that will be crappy in a few short years.

PS. Mitch didn't create any jobs, but he did engineer ways to spend Hoosier's money to buy jobs for a select few people. The 1% stadium tax? Means many fund the high paying jobs of very few.

IMO, Even if I believed either of these to be blunders (which I do not) .. I'll take them over running our state into bankruptcy like the last two "tax and spenders" did. Mitch is most certainly MY man!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:cheers:

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    Mitch certainly has, and IS a friend of the Second Amendment-under his watch, we`ve seen the Castle Doctrine law passed, can now carry in State Parks, and can even carry while bow hunting for white-tails.

While I don`t agree with all the measures he`s advocated, (especially I-69 south), he had quite a mess to clean up from the demon-crats. A fiscal mess, as well as the rampant corruption.

He`s done, overall, a great job.

Last edited:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I don't like him.
    Property tax has doubled the past two years for my parents.
    DST was supposed to help the farmers and save electricity.
    How many of you live day to day on two times?, its not easy.
    US 231 and I 69. Why?

And yes, I'm one of many who lost their job.

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    I don't like him.
    US 231 and I 69. Why?

I certainly understand your frustration with the times, and especially with losing your job. The thing is though, the property tax issue is due to someone going to court over a perceived inequity in the assessment system. I don`t think Mitch had much to do with that.

Not sure about the loss of your job.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't like him.
    US 231 and I 69. Why?

Does the state set property taxes? I don't think so, isn't it the counties?
    Was it a state job you lost?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Is I hear anybody talk about all the "money we lost" by leasing (usually they say "selling") the tollroad I'll scream. We never made any money. If this company thinks they can, great, good luck, but we already have their money whether it's profitable to them or not. We were looking losses, now we're not responsible. It's a win all around for the state.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I believe Mitch came in at a difficult time but he hit the ground running. With his business background he looked at the state as a business and seen what needed to be done. Although some of these decisions were unpopular for some of the effected peeople involved. They still needed to be done for the good of the state as a whole. It takes some gonads to do some of the things he has done. Something we don't see much of in our career politicians of today. It is impossible to make the hard decisions without compromise when you are worried about your next election and what the polls are saying about your actions. I believe Mitch has done this very well. It seems as though the construction trades labor unions have always been so strongly against Mitch. The members of these unions will have a lot of income due to the major moves project. I believe if he happened to have an "d" beside his name instead of an "r" and did the same he would be put up on a pedestal. Yes I am a member of one of these unions and have heard all the arguments against him and the Major Moves project.
    I think it it is a great thing for the state. I will be voting for "My Man Mitch" once again.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Fixing the License Branch in and of itself is enough for me to vote for him again. My experiences there have gone from absloutely abysmal to complete satisfaction.

Toll road? Meh... it goes against my grain a bit, but we were losing money on it every year, and no hope for ever making it profitable. Getting out of debt is painful... this took away most of the sting.

Bringing the state back in the black after Bayh took us so far into the red for so many years is a big plus.

Telling the schools that they can't build any more Taj Mahals without appoval... big plus. This is the biggest reason for the property tax increases... IMO... I don't blame Mitch.

Daylight savings... personally this could go either way... I don't like it... but why does the western most state in the eastern time zone need it? We don't, but at least I have time to get my yard mowed after work now... or set up a tent before it gets dark... it was going to happen regardless... I'm just glad we didn't get switched to Central... that would have been a huge disaster in the winter time.

Carry in state parks, while hunting, etc. a BIG plus.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think Mitch Daniels has been bold and done a great job. Living down in SW Indiana, it is great the I-69 is finally moving forward. I've only lived here for five years, but I know people in this part of the state have been waiting a long time for the faster way to Indy -- and better commerce opportunities.

Being from out West, privatization is no big deal to me. It's been done there for years. The fact that he sold the toll road and works on privatizing other agencies/projects is great to me. Out in Colorado where I lived for 10 years the toll road was privately built. It works great.

Have you ever seen anything the Government does better than the private sector?

Mitch Daniels is also very accessible and makes State agencies very accountable to the people they serve.

teamplayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    I hate political commercials but the OP nailed this. I like the Hans Zimmer-style cinematic score that sounds piratous, but the message speaks to simpletons.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I like it. I think he's been getting a bad rap because he's had to make some unpopular decisions to clean up the incredible mess left by the last two morons in the Gov's office. My fear is that he's going to have to pay for those decisions come election time and we'll end up right back in the crapper again.

+1 to all of this.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Arrrr, lazy Democrats off the port bow whining about how they cain't reckon their clocks because they went to a public school! Ramming speed!:lmfao:

I-69 cannot start soon enough. I want to fire up the ceremonial bulldozer and knock something over tomorrow. Those rotten "environmentalists" who live outside of this state and want us to live on their hobby farm can go jump in Lake Michigan.

DST rocks! It gives the productive class more daylight in the warm part of the year. It fights obesity by hurting the restaurant business. And DST helps the state's economy. Win-win-win!

O.K., so people complain about not being able to change their clocks (the reason people were against DST is that they could not read their owner's manual for their clock radio). So what? One, it's a silly objection. Two, it helps the education level of the state as people go back for their GED to read their operator's manual.

We need to focus on the boring day-to-day stuff that we elect Republicans to do: job growth and foster a pro-business culture.

Mitch has my vote and my financial support.

Top Bottom