My first suppressor ever approved! Scary question though.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    So last August I started the purchase of my first suppressor.

Well I got the go ahead a few days ago when capitol armory said they needed me to fill out the 4473

But then what scared me?

Well, Capitol Armory is based in Texas but has agreements with FFLs in many many states.

So how am I picking mine up? It's being sent UPS to my front door.

I had no clue this was a thing and though I actually only mostly agree with it I can't help but feel this is ass-backwards.

I can go to my FFL tomorrow morning, buy a gun with a background check that takes less than 3 minutes. Whole process less than 10, easy. Gun CANNOT be mailed to me.

But a suppressor? 6 month-12+ month wait, extra red tape, extra background check, extra everything. But it can be sent to my front door?

I'm not mad, honestly I think guns should be allowed to be shipped to your house.

But what I disagree with is the shipping. This is coming UPS ground "adult signature required". Any adult works. So the UPS guy who literally has a 20%is failure rate at my deliveries (always going to other neighbors) is going to be the deciding factor for me?

What happens when he brings it to the wrong guy 3 buildings over who's a hypothetical felon? And I say I never got it. I would bet my balls that the ATF wouldn't fast track me another stamp. I'd probably have an investigation opened on me having my can disappear the first day I "got it"

Sorry for the long long post but seriously what is the reality on this for the guy with horrible luck (like me) who does end up losing a can to a bad delivery?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    There are a few gunsmith members around you that I'm sure would have no problem having it delivered to their shop.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So OP, if I ship a firearm to the manufacter or gunsmith for service then I shouldnt be able to have it shipped back to me?

How do people think firearms/machine guns,NFA, Rolexes and other desireables move around the country?
    Even Walmart ships firearms from distrubution centers to stores with UPS.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    So OP, if I ship a firearm to the manufacter or gunsmith for service then I shouldnt be able to have it shipped back to me?

How do people think firearms/machine guns,NFA, Rolexes and other desireables move around the country?
    Even Walmart ships firearms from distrubution centers to stores with UPS.
    Can you have a firearm sent to your front door though? As a non-FFL?

I thought this was a no no for us lowly civilian non-ffls?

I've had timepieces of similar value to mid range Rolexes sent to my house. I'm well aware how shipping works. I had a very expensive watch get lost once actually. And I was reimbursed.

That's not the part I don't like. It's that it's an NFA item and if it gets lost I doubt it'll be a simple process to replace it or get the ATF to be 'understanding'

I don't know why you seem so upset by my original post?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Can you have a firearm sent to your front door though? As a non-FFL?

I thought this was a no no for us lowly civilian non-ffls?

I've had timepieces of similar value to mid range Rolexes sent to my house. I'm well aware how shipping works. I had a very expensive watch get lost once actually. And I was reimbursed.

That's not the part I don't like. It's that it's an NFA item and if it gets lost I doubt it'll be a simple process to replace it or get the ATF to be 'understanding'

I don't know why you seem so upset by my original post?
    Dont know why you would think im upset????
    Here I thought checking that little box as to pickup your package at the local hub instantly cured your worries.

Ive had many shipped back to my home.
    Including a few Rolexes to NY for service. Any firearms that were shipped out by me for service or upgrades. A few through the DCM and CMP in the last fourty years.
    Like I already posted, how do people think pre may 86 NFA move around the country.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    The things nightmares are made of.

Yep. I am always very concerned when I am shipping or receiving a firearm, because a "lost package" would be such a nightmare. Even though it's shipping to an FFL, I'm checking the tracking number on their website (UPS, FexEx) several times a day until is shows "delivered" and then calling the FFL that very moment...

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have experienced the "missing NFA item" nightmare. Years ago, I purchased a Rebel Silencers Rebel .22 can and after waiting like 9 months for it to get out of NFA jail, I got my stamp and went to pick it up. When I got it, it has NO BAFFLES! Just a tube and end caps. I immediately called Rebel Silencers and they said "ph...you are one of the two people we forgot to put baffles in their can". WTH? They told me to send it back to them with a pre-paid return label. I sent it and tracked its progress to Dallas Fed Ex facility where it went dormant and stopped moving. I watched it for like three days before I finally got on the phone and started trying to track it down. Long story short....it was stolen out of the Fed Ex facility...probable because Rebel put "Rebel Silencers" as their address instead of an acronym or pseudonym. I ended up talking to the manager of that facility and they admitted that they had a problem with gun related items going missing.

I had to file a police report with the Dallas PD, FBI & my local PD. I also had to notify the ATF. It has never turned up so someone is running around with a baffleless .22 can registered to me.

Top Bottom