• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    So, finally getting that first suppressor here soon. Eventually, i'll be looking at 3 guns to host a suppressor on. My AR pistol, a Savage 110 Tactical (in 6.5 creedmoor) and eventually my wife's Ruger PC9 carbine. Kind of limited on budget, and I would like to avoid direct thread on them if I can. To help save on the $$$ pain, right now I'm looking at two suppressors to start with. One being a dead air sandman (probably the K) for my AR pistol and the 6.5 rifle. Figure it won't make the pistol hearing safe, but will take the edge off if I ever have to let loose with it. At least it will function on both reasonably well I think. For the wife, I've been looking at a CGS Mod-9sk. And before anyone yells, yes, I know that one is a direct thread, but I just couldn't find any good 9mm cans that had a QD mount, were reasonable in cost, and were fairly light. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a QD suppressor. Hind site is 20/20, but I really wish I had gone direct thread. Yes QD saves at least 2 seconds, but I dont bounce it around more than a few times a year, and have to buy expensive mounts. Saving 5 minutes twisting time over the last 5 years has cost me about 500 bucks by the time you figure mounts, and extra cost of the can. My time is valuable, but not 100 dollars a minute valuable.

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    I'm in the same boat as Alan. When I got my first one, I didn't know any better. I picked a manufacturer and went with it. Now I've got just as much money wrapped up in muzzle devices as I do suppressors. Don't let a direct thread scare you away. Your 6.5 won't be quite hearing safe, but it is much more enjoyable to shoot. Be careful, they're like potato chips, it's hard to stop at just one.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Take a look at the Silencerco Omega 36M. It can handle all 3 of your hosts and in QD with ASR. If you want a better QD system, you can swap it for Griffin Plan A. The 36M is modular in length so you can keep it short for HD and make it long for range time.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Dead Air Nomad (with Keymo if you want QD)

The only plus I see for you with QD would be moving between different thread pitches (assuming your AR pistol is 5.56), otherwise would run it direct thread and you could always change it out later.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Dead Air Nomad (with Keymo if you want QD)

The only plus I see for you with QD would be moving between different thread pitches (assuming your AR pistol is 5.56), otherwise would run it direct thread and you could always change it out later.
    The Nomad is a great can, but the benefit of the Nomad is that you can ditch Keymo for shorter, lighter, and cheaper options. If you are going to use Keymo, you might as well get the Sandman S and get the added durability with the weight.

Whisk604

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2017
    Rensselaer
    I vote for the QD. I'm constantly bouncing mine around on 8 different rifles. It also helped me avoid using thread adapters. I can't speak for the pc9, but your pistol is 1/2-28 and the creed is 5/8-24 threads.

boostjunki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 7, 2015
    Elkhart County
    Also if using a QD mount you’ll either have a flash hider or muzzle brake on whatever guns you’ll be mounting it on. If that sort of thing matters to you. I like having a flash hider if I’m not using a suppressor.

Pfcmaurx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Jeffersonville
    So, finally getting that first suppressor here soon. Eventually, i'll be looking at 3 guns to host a suppressor on. My AR pistol, a Savage 110 Tactical (in 6.5 creedmoor) and eventually my wife's Ruger PC9 carbine. Kind of limited on budget, and I would like to avoid direct thread on them if I can. To help save on the $$$ pain, right now I'm looking at two suppressors to start with. One being a dead air sandman (probably the K) for my AR pistol and the 6.5 rifle. Figure it won't make the pistol hearing safe, but will take the edge off if I ever have to let loose with it. At least it will function on both reasonably well I think. For the wife, I've been looking at a CGS Mod-9sk. And before anyone yells, yes, I know that one is a direct thread, but I just couldn't find any good 9mm cans that had a QD mount, were reasonable in cost, and were fairly light. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
    I have about a few suppressors and have found the Hybrid to be a good all around option. How far are you from Jeffersonville? If you want I can let you try out the 8-10 options I have that will work on your platforms.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    short barrel AR is LOUD, the Sandman K is very LOUD.

My suggestion is:

Buy 308 can to cover your rifle calibers.

Rugged Obsidian 45 to cover your pistols calibers.

mg_srt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Elkhart/South Bend
    I started with direct thread 30 cal which I def recommend. Being able to bounce around from 308 to .22 was nice. You can find inexpensive thread adapters.
    My can is 30TI from Thompson Machine, I am very pleased with noise reduction. As said in another post, they are contagious 1 has turned into 6 with 1 more pending. Also I have recently switched to using QD for some of my applications simply because I like the device on the end better than thread protectors. Starting with direct gets my vote.

Top Bottom