My Christmas Light Display. Using Light-O-Rama controllers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My newest song

[video=youtube;Hio8oIBqrMs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hio8oIBqrMs[/video]

In addition to two new songs, I first hope to modify this one. I like it. But I feel I need some more lights in the beginning.
    I love songs that start of low and slow, and then pick up. But it's 2 minutes before things really "pick up".
    I'd like to keep people's interest.
    Right now, the red/white tree is his voice, the blue/green tree is the piano.
    I'm thinking of making both trees his voice. And move the piano to the bushes in the back (red/green/blue).
    The nice thing is, and this is something to think about if you decide to do something like this, the tree lights (both colors, both trees) and the bushes are in groups of 6.
    So the timing is easier to figure out.
    And easier if I'm copying the timing from one set to the other.
    The blue/green tree has 6 blues, and 6 greens. They seem like more, because a single string goes up and down, like an inverted v.
    The red/white tree is taller, yet the lights are shorter (manufacturer did that to save them $$). So each light only goes up. So I doubled the lights for the same effect. Although when I turn on a single string, it just lights up one string going up, doesn't look like an inverted v.
    It has 12 red and 12 white.
    The bushes in the back are red/green/blue on two different bushes, so another grouping of 6.
    So the timing of the bushes and the trees are similar.

Now, that doesn't work for all my lights. Nor should it.
    The lamp post on the right of the video simulates a candy cane. Or at least tries to. It has red, green, and white. So, with white and green, or white and red I try to make a candy cane.

Then there are the blues along the roofline, the left red tree, and the perimeter green. Also red/green along railing. Then there is the elves which also tie into the same output along with the snowman.

And if you notice, the falling snowflakes are tied in to the blues in the blue/green tree.
    And the candles are tied in to the greens in the blue/green tree.
    This is because those tree outputs only supply the one string, which I thought was a waste. So I tee'd off them for those other light.
    And, those candles and elves have LED bulbs in them, like the ones in your house.
    2 reasons. Keeps the wattage down. And cause all the flashing tends to blow standard bulbs.
    Only problem is, their sockets don't fit the LED bulbs. By making 4 cuts in the plastic of the socket, it will expand when I put the bulb in.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    So oh Christmas light master I have a problem and need a solution

SO my wife loves warm white lights (i.e. incandescent bulbs) I love LED because I can connect more than three strands of lights together and they are cheap to run. On top of warm white she wants twinkling icicle lights with blue bulbs on the strand too..... my question is this.... is there some controller I can buy that will make a set of non twinkle lights twinkle? Or do you know where to find this set of bigfoot lights (warm white she wants twinkling icicle lights with blue bulbs on the strand LED bulbs of course)?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So oh Christmas light master I have a problem and need a solution

SO my wife loves warm white lights (i.e. incandescent bulbs) I love LED because I can connect more than three strands of lights together and they are cheap to run. On top of warm white she wants twinkling icicle lights with blue bulbs on the strand too..... my question is this.... is there some controller I can buy that will make a set of non twinkle lights twinkle? Or do you know where to find this set of bigfoot lights (warm white she wants twinkling icicle lights with blue bulbs on the strand LED bulbs of course)?

No. Standard strings have the bulbs wired in series, each bulb takes it's own share of the voltage. 25 to 35 bulbs equally divides up the 120 volts.
    That's why when you pull an LED, or it's leads rust, you lose half a string.
    An LED string with "functions" has to be designed that way.

American Sale might have some stuff your interested in.
    Christmas Lights | LED Lights | LED Christmas Lights - American Sale=

Here are some "functions"
    Christmas Lights | 80 Remote Control LED Color Changing Miniature Cool White \ Blue Christmas Lights - American Sale

Christmas Lights | 80 Remote Control LED Color Changing Icicle Cool White \ Blue Christmas Lights - American Sale

LED Lights | LED Christmas Lighting | LED 60 Multi Function Mini-Style Christmas Lights - American Sale

Christmas Lights, 60 LED Color Changing Icicle Christmas Lights - American Sale

Christmas Lights, LED Lights, 60 LED Color Changing Star Icicle Christmas Lights - American Sale

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm starting to dabble with the concepts. Actaeon has been very kind in answering questions. It gets expensive quickly!

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm starting to dabble with the concepts. Acteon has been very kind in answering questions. It gets expensive quickly!

Start small and simple. Play with things and learn. Then add on more, and get more complex.

Start to big and complex, and you risk being overwhelmed.
    Also, since I'm self taught, there's probably capabilities I haven't even thought of.

Also.
    Plan for the next year.
    Figure, I want to add a section of lights to _______.
    I'll need to buy _______.
    And I'll need to modify previous programs, or start new.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I finally have two four-channel arches up and running. They recommend a strand of lights every 12 inches and 8 channels per arch but I went with 21" and four channels per arch to start with. It's a bit complex figuring out all the little pieces but once you understand the technology it's not too bad, just time consuming to time it all out to look good.

Still haven't tried getting an RGB pixel strand to perform yet.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I finally have two four-channel arches up and running. They recommend a strand of lights every 12 inches and 8 channels per arch but I went with 21" and four channels per arch to start with. It's a bit complex figuring out all the little pieces but once you understand the technology it's not too bad, just time consuming to time it all out to look good.

Still haven't tried getting an RGB pixel strand to perform yet.

:yesway:

Any video?

I'm still thinking about arches, and how many channels would I devote to each.
    I'm leaning towards 6.
    Just because so far I have things in groups of 6.
    6 lights in the bushes.
    Blue/Green tree has 6 blue, 6 green.
    Red/white tree has 12 red, 12 white.
    Falling snowflakes, 6
    Candles, 6.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My arches are only 8' on the perimeter and only sticks up about 23". Wasn't sure how much I could flex that PVC.

i bought some HDPE tubing and cut it today. That I left at 17' with an 8' width at bottom, should be about 5' tall. I laid the tube in front of my fire place for a while to warm it up before straightening to bend it. It's 1.5" OD and 1.25 ID. At Home Depot their rebar caps OSHA orange things are the perfect size. I then used a 1 5/8 tension strap for chain link fencing that will pinch the orange cap and hold the tube in place. Then I got some 1/2" metal conduit and cut to length then pounded flat the ends with a sledge and tapped them to hold the bottoms of the arch apart. Thank you youtube :D

i'll try to get video when I get home after work tonight. I'll do the phantom sequence and see if I can use another phone to capture audio since I don't have a speaker

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I started putting the display up for this year.
    So, anyone in NWI, I'm shooting for Monday December 3 as a "Light Up" date.
    That's the date I've told the NWI Planner.

I should be done sooner, but there's always a string or two that needs attention, or a cable that get's kicked out of the socket.
    Plus, I'm only doing a little bit at a time cause IT'S 25 FRIGGIN DEGREES.

Seriously. I do it after Thanksgiving because IT'S WARMER.
    Well, not this year.

I do plan on modifying the program for the last song, "Mary Did You Know" to add more lights at the beginning.
    I like songs to start low... but it takes too long to build up. So.... MORE LIGHT.
    I'll hopefully start that after dinner tonight, the programming.
    Since the timing is already done, I'll just have to turn lights on in tandem with other lights already figured out.
    SHOULD go pretty easy.

Top Bottom