• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was easily putting 175,000 miles on plain car engines in the 70's with dinosaur base 10W30. Brand name, but no voodoo magic brands. Valvoline, quaker state, etc. Then the EPA came in and wanted the zinc out of oil. Then the engines started eating cams and cam followers. Another 2 or 3 oil reformulations and the cams seem to be ok.

Suddenly, some papers were issued from who knows whom, that said cars designed to be happy with 10W30 had to use 5W30, Then the EPA gets on the car makers for CAFE ratings, suddenly the car had to use 5W20. Now my oil change place is telling me that the "officials" determined all cars have to run 0W20.

I am told they have my engines have "tighter tolerances" and that they are designed for that thin **** water.
    I checked, the owners manual and the EPA sticker under my hood does not say 0W-20 or 5W20. I am very certain the tolerances are not getting tighter as I drive it year after year.

I am willing to entertain this like the cash for clunkers, except the globalists want to take our cars away earlier to force us to mortgage our lives to go electric. I do not want to play the 100 mile dog leash game with the tyrants.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yup and when manufacturers say you don't need to change your engine oil for 10k miles, or your transmission is is good for 100k without servicing you're asking for trouble following those guidelines. Change your engine oil @ max 5k miles (I still do 3k as it's cheap insurance) and service your transmission/differential/s, and transfer case/PTU, if applies, every 30k
    That’s not entirely true. I did (and still do) UOA*. There isn’t a single modern engine I can think of that 3k oci’s is relevant unless you just love wasting money and resources. I’ve been using Walmart synthetic oil for a decade, using uoa to find the right interval for changing. There are so many factors driving that it’s crazy. For the truck 9k is perfectly fine. For the oil Rios 5k was the number. For the previous forte it was 7k. Really depends on driving style, sump capacity and the engine itself. Hondas ran hotter so you had to be cautious stretching them. Cause they’d oxidize and gum up. Toyotas had breathing issues with the pcv system that would cook the oil back in the early 2000’s. Ford vans with the triton v8’s are particularly susceptible to heat issues cooking the engine oil etc.

*I don’t mean I’d send in samples, although I did on my own stuff, but perform the analysis as a living. Now I do it for fun because I enjoyed it just not the company politics

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    We had a 2016 Elantra with the 1.8L engine and drove the crap out if it. Bought it off-lease with 30k miles and traded it 3 years later w/100k miles for a larger Malibu and I miss the little car. I'd typically push 38-40+ mpg and top end was higher than I'd thought it would run.

Oil changes are not done by mileage but by color. Once the oil starts to lose the clarity it gets changed. I've been doing that ever since I started driving (my dad was a truck driver / shade tree mechanic).

My 2019 Malibu oil change is around 5-6k miles and my 2015 RAM (5.7HEMI) is 4k whether I pull the camper or not.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We had a 2016 Elantra with the 1.8L engine and drove the crap out if it. Bought it off-lease with 30k miles and traded it 3 years later w/100k miles for a larger Malibu and I miss the little car. I'd typically push 38-40+ mpg and top end was higher than I'd thought it would run.

Oil changes are not done by mileage but by color. Once the oil starts to lose the clarity it gets changed. I've been doing that ever since I started driving (my dad was a truck driver / shade tree mechanic).

My 2019 Malibu oil change is around 5-6k miles and my 2015 RAM (5.7HEMI) is 4k whether I pull the camper or not.
    thats a terrible way to decide to change. I mean, fine if you have money to burn I guess. oil chamnging color means its doing its job. Theres a reason you will never see a "color test" on engine oils for testing.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    thats a terrible way to decide to change. I mean, fine if you have money to burn I guess. oil chamnging color means its doing its job. Theres a reason you will never see a "color test" on engine oils for testing.
    Yes, I know that I am probably over doing it but spending and extra $50 to $70 per year on my RAM (5.7HEMIs are known to lose lifters and cams) is better than $7k pm a new motor

Reactions: Leo

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yes, I know that I am probably over doing it but spending and extra $50 to $70 per year on my RAM (5.7HEMIs are known to lose lifters and cams) is better than $7k pm a new motor
    they, like the gm dod issue, don't really care about the oil. those failures are going to happen because of a faulty design and poor materials. Hell, the early new hemis pulled the rocker studs out of the heads on a regular basis. nothing to do with oil there.

Believe it or not there was a study that indicated changing oil too often can cause almost as much wear as too liitle. Those no pressure starts untik the filter fills was their theory.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    they, like the gm dod issue, don't really care about the oil. those failures are going to happen because of a faulty design and poor materials. Hell, the early new hemis pulled the rocker studs out of the heads on a regular basis. nothing to do with oil there.

Believe it or not there was a study that indicated changing oil too often can cause almost as much wear as too liitle. Those no pressure starts untik the filter fills was their theory.

The HEMI issue is known to be caused by poor heat treat on the cams. Not sure why there are lifter issues but when I bought the truck I did a lot of research and most of what I found was some oil prolonged the life of the cams better than others and many often did as I do was to change oil more often

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The HEMI issue is known to be caused by poor heat treat on the cams. Not sure why there are lifter issues but when I bought the truck I did a lot of research and most of what I found was some oil prolonged the life of the cams better than others and many often did as I do was to change oil more often
    Pushrod engines need the ep additive benefits from the zddp. Many oil manufacturers have been trying to add more ep additives without zinc to save the cats. the last 10 years in the oil industry have been VERY busy.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Congrats on the Lexus purchase. After I bought my 2014 IS250 F Sport, I knew it would be the only brand of car/SUV for me. The feel and quality are just hard to beat.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Congrats on the Lexus purchase. After I bought my 2014 IS250 F Sport, I knew it would be the only brand of car/SUV for me. The feel and quality are just hard to beat.
    I swore off toyota products after the wifes rav caught on fire ruining my favorite sneakers.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Those no pressure starts untik the filter fills was their theory.
    I’ve always prefilled my oil filters. And on GM LS motors if you put the accelerator to the floor (drive by wire ) while cranking, it will not start and can build up oil pressure first.

I’ve always wondered about cars that have sideways or upside down oil filters that can’t be pre-filled.

Top Bottom