• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe for a really solid shooter but don't forget, dots don't help you pull the trigger straight to the rear or have a good grip. I am starting to see people show up in CPL classes with dots now and let me tell you, they shoot no better than anyone else.

I was speaking specifically for myself in that line. I like my G17M but the sights make it harder for me to be as precise as I'd like at 30y plus. Same with my LCR. I swapped out the OEM front sight for a larger dot with a night sight, which makes longer distances more challenging as so much of the target is covered. The P220/P226 fiber sights seem to be the perfect blend of size, shape, light gap, and contrast for me to shoot more precisely at longer distances but not lose speed up close, plus the TDA trigger system is more betterer for me. Honestly, where it not for going back into uniform for a bit I would never have went back to Glock. There's nothing *wrong* with Glock and it's perfectly adequate, but if I wasn't required to carry one I'd have stuck with P22X series.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My compact 1911 holds that many. But a lot less velocity from my 3” barrel. The smith is 3.75 though.

Century old technology. Dead AF.

One thing I would caution you on, in seriousness, is ammo selection. Standard pressure .45 Auto from a short barrel is often not the most reliable of expanders. I'm going from memory and reserve the right to recant at a later date, but I *think* Critical Duty was one of the best of the bunch from shorter barrels when I was researching for my P245.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Century old technology. Dead AF.

One thing I would caution you on, in seriousness, is ammo selection. Standard pressure .45 Auto from a short barrel is often not the most reliable of expanders. I'm going from memory and reserve the right to recant at a later date, but I *think* Critical Duty was one of the best of the bunch from shorter barrels when I was researching for my P245.
    The compact gets fed 185gr critical duty(? Been a minute since I purchased, 185gr I know, brand less sure)Full size gets 230gr hornady cd. Spare carry mags are loaded with full size ammo with the hope that I never need the reload. There’s some snap in that 185 in the compact

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Context. Lots of people who carry 357 snubs think that they are getting the legendary 357 performance. They are not. The 357 Magnum's reputation (deserved or not) comes from revolvers with barrels long enough to adequately burn the powders commonly used in the caliber, giving it the velocity/energy that gives it the reputation. Which is why I made the comment about 357 snubs. 32 ACP and 9mm have nothing to do with it, they have no such reputation and are not typically fired from 1.78" barrels to achieve a similar level of neutering.
    Still most likely getting better performance vs standard pressure .38 spl.
    I was responding to TacticallyFat's post about not being a cop and not doing cop things. I'd like to borrow his crystal ball, because nobody knows what defensive situation they may find themselves in. Lies, damned lies and statistics aside, there's no harm in being overprepared.

Also, I would say that I'd be interested in seeing your evidence of the mall encounter being over within the first 4 or 5 shots, but that means I'd have to see where the evidence came from, and I have no interest in that, as I'm not your proctologist. :): Pro tip: The one presenting unsubstantiated theories has the burden to provide evidence.

So if you knew that you'd be in Eli's shoes tomorrow, you'd still pick the 5 shot snubby? Yeah...me neither.
    See BBI's post, and I believe it was covered in the thread about the shooting that one of the first 4 shots was in the neck and a fatal shot.

And if I knew I was going to be in Eli's shoes? I wouldn't be carrying just a handgun, no matter what it was. But if I normally carried a 5 shot snubby and was proficient with it, yes.
    I was at that scene and would say the information is correct based on all available evidence I was privy to.

Really? Didn't see any Browning tilt-barrel semiautos in your article, which is the operating system for the vast majority of modern defensive semiauto pistols today. Carry a Broomhandle, do ya? :)
    Nope, as I said slicked up. Still a semi-auto pistol. And when exactly did Browning invent the tilt-barrel locking system? Oh that's right, late 1800s again. :)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Numbers wise and tissue destruction wise, .357 magnum shouldn't really have the results it does. I may have already posted this, but I think the sheer "blastiness" of the cartridge and the resulting shock contribute to it's real world results more than just the ballistics of it. I've had the theory for awhile, but it is just a theory as how do you actually test it? People are lining up to get shot with a .357 magnum and then a 9mm and report how much each sucked independently. I do note some others have independently arrived at the same theory, such as Darryl Bolke who knows a thing or two about revolvers and face shooting. I've long argued that the ballistics from a short barrel favor .38+P over .357 magnum, but the blast effect is not nothing, IMO. Blastiness works in both directions, and I carry .38+P. I don't even like shooting full house magnums at an indoor range any longer, regardless of barrel length. Fun outdoors. Fun woods gun. Just not for me inside.

I was at that scene and would say the information is correct based on all available evidence I was privy to.

I would not. If I knew the exact scenario and the distances involved, I think my P220 if I'm relegated to irons. Dots, meh, whatever.
    Blast effect?
    Well now I'm thinking of buying a Ruger Alaskan 44mag now. That should have a much larger blast effect. ;)

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    This is from my perspective, an old man 65 and disabled.

I'll start by saying that I've been the victim of a shooting being shot 4 times. After that I got my ltch and did some training and started to carry. It is extremely rare to leave my home without a firearm.

One of my first carry guns was a 44special and I still like that round. Without a doubt better than a .38.

This discussion has been centered on there being ONE perpetrator. In that case my 44special special is more that adequate. But what if it is more than one, and that happens often, what then? Is there a law that the others will just scatter and will you bet your life on that?

I have a real hard time seeing you j-frame guys being right and giants in the field of self defense like Clint Smith and Massad Ayoob being wrong.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    This is from my perspective, an old man 65 and disabled.

I'll start by saying that I've been the victim of a shooting being shot 4 times. After that I got my ltch and did some training and started to carry. It is extremely rare to leave my home without a firearm.

One of my first carry guns was a 44special and I still like that round. Without a doubt better than a .38.

This discussion has been centered on there being ONE perpetrator. In that case my 44special special is more that adequate. But what if it is more than one, and that happens often, what then? Is there a law that the others will just scatter and will you bet your life on that?

I have a real hard time seeing you j-frame guys being right and giants in the field of self defense like Clint Smith and Massad Ayoob being wrong.
    It’s not an either/or binary option.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Another scenario. I want to get a new revolver for a night stand gun so I don't accidentally shoot myself when I shut the alarm off without really being awake yet. What caliber should I get that won't go through the wall if I miss the perps eye socket, and how many shots will I need?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Don't even need to worry about expansion as well.

As you aren't remotely concerned about over penetration.

How much time do you think it will take you to get through 5 rounds? How long do you think it takes for bad guy #2 or #3 to react and start putting rounds on you? You know why you see so few dead people with empty guns in their hands regardless of capacity? They ran out of time before they ran out of ammunition. I've yet to see someone win against 3 dedicated bad guys with guns who stayed and fought. I'm sure somebody out there has done it through luck and sheer not sucking, but a group that's smart enough to bring 3 or more and dedicated enough to stay in the fight is also smart enough to surround you, or confront you with a hidden overwatch, etc.

None of those have been random crime in the truest sense, although some have been occupational hazard crime. Delivery drivers, store clerks, that sort of thing. Multiple dedicated attackers is largely the realm of criminal on criminal or family feud domestics. People who don't care if they die to take you down and have buddies who feel the same.

I know Mas. He carries a S&W j-frame in his pocket frequently and has for years. Honestly, if you think he doesn't appreciate the role the j-frame fills I'd recommend you become a bit more familiar with his work, such as:

Skip to 21:00 if you just want to get to the meat of j-frames and Mas' take on their role.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So everyone should open carry an M4 carbine, is that it?

2d42e022aa4543c159b5bd0507b8e18e.jpg

Top Bottom