• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive never had one, but Ive recently become interested in getting one.

Any suggestions? Want to use sabots/pelleted powder, and 209 primers. Needs to be able to have a scope.

thanks,
    clay

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I picked up a Thompson Center Omega a few weeks ago and I really like it. It is drilled and tapped for a scope, or at least mine is. It is the only muzzle loader that I own so I can't comment on how it compares to others made by Thompson Center or CVA.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the tc omega is the most accurate muzzleloader ive ever tried for the price. you an buy them at walmart for 275ish, and it has the same barrel as the prohunter (obviously not interchangable)

clfergus

Expert
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    the tc omega is the most accurate muzzleloader ive ever tried for the price. you an buy them at walmart for 275ish, and it has the same barrel as the prohunter (obviously not interchangable)

I picked one up last year at Wally world for 275. Its the TC Omega Z5. Added a Bushnell Banner 2-7X36 mm. Shoots Barnes T-EZ sabots with two 777 pellets like a dream.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I picked one up last year at Wally world for 275. Its the TC Omega Z5. Added a Bushnell Banner 2-7X36 mm. Shoots Barnes T-EZ sabots with two 777 pellets like a dream.

they really can not be beat. ive done testing on just about every muzzleloader made. the omega preforms as well as any 500-700 dollar muzzleloader on the market. bushnell banner would not be my first choice in that pricerange but thats a completely diffrent thread.

Cam

Expert
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have a TC Triumph. Really nice gun. I'm of the mindset that most anything from Thompson Center will be good to go.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Look into a traditional caplock, or flintlock, they are fun and the historical connection is even neater!

rdg

Marksman
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    Muzzleloaders are great guns and fun to shoot. I would suggest you check out in-line guns if you want simplicity and reliability. The traditional cap guns are great fun to shoot but they tend to misfire easier (ie moisture can get inside to wet the powder easier). Both are extremely accurate though.

Next thing you would have to look at is where you hunt and what your yardage typically is for your shot. I have open sights but I hunt inside the woods (15-75 yards in from a field) so my shots aren't long enough to warrant the scope. My brother in law likes to hunt over the field however so he uses a scope on his.

Have fun and be safe. Remember, you have one shot so it does force you to make sure you have a good one!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I have a cva wolf and really enjoy shooting it. To me even with 150 grains of powder pushing a 300grain bullet the recoil is less harsh than my 12 gauge. The only issue I have is the fiber optic in the front sight is very fragile and exposed. I don't enjoy cleaning it, but it isn't that difficult just remove the breech plug and go to town.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    From everyone I've talked to, for a modern...can't go wrong with the ones at Walmart. I didn't really want modern so I went a different route. Depending on how much I like shooting it, I'll probably end up with an inline at some point. If I really like the Hawken, I'll be on the look out for a Kentucky rifle kit.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    CVA Accura, hard to beat that match quality trigger and Bergara Barrel.

I've hunted with T/C Encore's, Triumph's and once owned an Omega. Actually took my first doe with the Omega.

I personally think the CVA Optima and T/C Omega are just about the best bang for the buck.

I'm hearing good things about the CVA Wolf as an entry level ML.

Pretty good video on the Wolf.

http://www.cva.com/rifles-wolf.php

Last edited:

scrubber

Plinker
    Jul 23, 2010
    West Central
    Smoke pole

I recently decided I needed a new muzzleloader. I am on a budget so I was looking for something on the cheap side.

I found the Thompson/Center Impact at Dick's Sporting Goods for $229.

I bought the Impact and a scope mount for $260 out the door.

It really is a pleasure to shoot. It is simple and accurate. Compared to the inlines I grew up with, it is a cadillac! I bought the gun yesterday, sighted it in this morning, and killed two does at 100 yards today.

Good luck!

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Look at the sales on Cabelas and even Wal Mart. I own 3 MLs. Old Knight LK-93 in line, Traditions in-line 209 primer and a traditional Lyman Great Plains rifle. My favorite in the group is the Lyman, it is artwork.
    Any of the new 209 primer in lines are worth looking at. T/C is sure popular and I'd say for good reasons. I switched back to using loose powder over the pellets. Seem to get better results in power and consistency.
    I have a Nikon buckmasters on on in-line. Find the deals and have a good time shopping.

Cam

Expert
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I switched back to using loose powder over the pellets. Seem to get better results in power and consistency.

This^^^

I use pellets for hunting for the convenience, but switch to loose powder for range time. More accurate and the stuff lasts forever too. I have a can of Pyrodex I've been using for 3 years now. It's alot of fun tailoring a load for your ML with loose powder! I've found my Triumph likes 115 grains with Hornady XTPs.

Effingham

Expert
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    You know, there's just something that continues to blow my mind about seeing something as modern-looking (i.e., "conventional") as the Thompson/Center Impact and then realizing it's a black powder muzzle-loader.

For some reason, to my mind, all black powder guns should look like antiques or at the latest a Civil War piece.

Am I missing a barrel of fun by thinking that way?

Frankingun

Marksman
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You know, there's just something that continues to blow my mind about seeing something as modern-looking (i.e., "conventional") as the Thompson/Center Impact and then realizing it's a black powder muzzle-loader.

For some reason, to my mind, all black powder guns should look like antiques or at the latest a Civil War piece.

Am I missing a barrel of fun by thinking that way?

All depends on what you want to do. Everyone has different tastes.

I've been looking at the Impact. I have a Traditions Tracker 209 but I really don't like it's sliding breech action.

shooter1054

Master
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I bought a T/C Omega a couple of years ago and have not looked back. I started with a Traditions "kit" from WalMart for under $200. It was a good gun and I took some deer with it. I like the T/C better. more accurate. What ever you get, try different bullets with it. Both of mine are particular on what they like to shoot.

Top Bottom