• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This isn't a new rodeo for me, however it is a new horse, new saddle, new boots, and well you get the point. I picked up a pack of IMR white hots to try to add some data to the book along with my 777. I've also had some pretty good luck with XTPs and shock waves in the past.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison via the same ML with WH and 777? What was your results if so?

Did you notice a huge difference with the decrease fps with doping a mult-POA optic? (since max load is 2 pellets WH = about 1712fps vs 3 pellets 777 = about 1858 -quoted source article)

Has anyone ever successfully chrono-graphed a muzzle loader load? I know several folks that have destroyed one, however the sourced article above was successful at 15' from muzzle, seems risky.

I am also trying a new ignition system using a 25acp brass case and small pistol primer vs the 209. ***Article Here*** When I'm done with testing and side by side comparison I will write up an AAR.

Thanks for the help, anyone wanting to get in on the load development with me, PM me I would love a second mind on the range.

Thanks RNM

jtb

Plinker
    Mar 9, 2009
    15' from the muzzel is pretty much standard for most rifles of heavy caliber due to muzzel blast. Been chronographing muzzel loaders of all types since the early eighties. You can kill a chrono with a .22 or a pellet rifle if you're stupid, I have examlpes.

Brownie

Marksman
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    RNM first let me tell you thanks for hosting the swap meet. We had a good time.

Now as you may have already thought of this i'll mention it anyway.

If you chrono your muzzleloader even at 15 feet or so I would definitly rig up some sort of sheild in front of the body of the chrono. Even a sabot at that velocity could turn your chrono into a expensive piece of scrap. :twocents:

Last edited:

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Nope, never done it, but sounds interesting.

I keep trying to love the loose powder but by golly if the pellets aren't so stinkin' easy, reliable and consistent. I'd love to find a resource on relative powder strength and amounts.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Even a sabot at that velocity could turn your chrono into a expensive piece of scrap.
    This is all I've ever known as well, however the article I sourced had some velocities from doing a chrono trial. I'm not feel'n it though.

I'd love to find a resource on relative powder strength and amounts.

Nate, what are you shooting right now....gun, bullet, load? I've got some tables with fairly decent comparisons, I might be able to help you out.

jtb

Plinker
    Mar 9, 2009
    There is no ballistic advantage of pellets vs. loose powder or the substitutes. There is no more risk shooting a muzzel loader over a chrono than any other gun. Gas checks can come loose from cast bullets, you can clip a chrono with a misplaced .22. The chances of a sabot comming loose from a bullet at 15' is pretty slim would you not agree? Don't you usually find your patches from a round ball, or sabots from an inline twenty yards or so down range? When have you ever found one within feet of your shooting bench?

Been chronographing all types of firearms for forty years, only took out one chrono.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    There is no ballistic advantage of pellets vs. loose powder or the substitutes. There is no more risk shooting a muzzel loader over a chrono than any other gun. Gas checks can come loose from cast bullets, you can clip a chrono with a misplaced .22. The chances of a sabot comming loose from a bullet at 15' is pretty slim would you not agree? Don't you usually find your patches from a round ball, or sabots from an inline twenty yards or so down range? When have you ever found one within feet of your shooting bench?

Been chronographing all types of firearms for forty years, only took out one chrono.

From hear say, my understanding isn't a projectile or debris that causes the damage. My invision is the rediculous muzzle blast of shock wave. Please hear me say, I'm not arguing your experience, these are questions to gain knowledge not questions to pick-a-part your posting. I know from IGW a chrono was replaced 2 ML seasons ago after shooting through it, and it wasn't hit by anything.

The best part of INGO is when you ask a question you get an answer.

jtb

Plinker
    Mar 9, 2009
    From hear say, my understanding isn't a projectile or debris that causes the damage. My invision is the rediculous muzzle blast of shock wave. Please hear me say, I'm not arguing your experience, these are questions to gain knowledge not questions to pick-a-part your posting. I know from IGW a chrono was replaced 2 ML seasons ago after shooting through it, and it wasn't hit by anything.

The best part of INGO is when you ask a question you get an answer.

Look, the .50 cal. ML has approximately .44 mag balistics right? I shoot a .300 weatherby mag over a chrono regularly at 15'. My chrono does have a shield, but it was installed for the higher likelihood of errant handgun bullets. As stated I have shot thousands of rounds from muzzel loaders, rifle and pistols for decades over chronos. How do you think they get the advertized ballistics?

You may well be surprized at the data between pellets and loose powder.

Top Bottom