• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Nov 21, 2012
    Alright, so here's an idea that's rattled around my head for awhile and I want to know why it would be a terrible idea, aka why it wouldn't work without more effort than I'm envisioning.

I want a single shot rifle, in particular chambered in 300 blackout for some super silly quiet rounds. And because I like weird stuff. It's who I am.
    But those rifles are hard to find. Even used.
    Solution? Muzzle-loader. Lop the barrel off, then use an AR-15 barrel or barrel blank(?) as a replacement.

After looking for a decent while, I can't find anyone who has attempted something like this, for 300 blackout or other cartridges. The only thing I can find similar are those gun adapters that they make for shotguns. Nice idea, but you can't throw a suppressor on the end of those, easily at least.

I've got access to grinding, cutting, welding tools and I'm not afraid to tackle a project. I'm thinking a cheap muzzle loader, preferably used, and a cheap-ish AR-15 barrel ($80-$100 on Anderson Manufacturing's website).

The work doesn't bother me. It's the "will this blow up in my face" part that I'm unsure of.
    Thoughts?

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Feb 18, 2009
    Bad idea, better off just purchasing a cheap single shot or bolt action for $200,-$300.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    CZ527, .300 BO, threaded for suppressors, steel rated for the cup that 300 will develop.

From 2018 SHOT Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQC36k5rUDE

It's cool that you are so handy, jeff (I am really envious actually), but a firearm is an explosion in a metal box in front of your face (Heidi Smith) so . . . why tempt fate?

The Barrister is correct....

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Nov 21, 2012
    CZ527, .300 BO, threaded for suppressors, steel rated for the CUP that 300 will develop.

From 2018 SHOT Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQC36k5rUDE

It's cool that you are so handy, jeff (I am really envious actually), but a firearm is an explosion in a metal box in front of your face (Heidi Smith) so . . . why tempt fate?

And this is why I haven't tried to do it yet. I'm not a gunsmith, though it would be nice.
    Therefore, I'm a little reluctant to chop up two guns (technically), to make one weird one, and then risk it blowing up in my face.

Realistically, I would like a Ruger American with a 16" barrel chambered in 300blk. But, the weirdness in me says that this would be a fun project that would be... well... mine. No real reason for making one versus purchasing something like the Ruger other than to DIY something.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Jul 20, 2015
    If you want a project, pick up a .410 H&R Pardner, chop it, thread it, and rechamber with a conventional rifle blank in your chosen cartridge. Put on a high comb laminate stock, fix up the trigger, and you have a thing.

M67

Grandmaster
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Get an Encore and get a barrel for both 300blk and the ML. MGM should make the 300blk barrel

Or just get a CVA .300blk

Even if you can get a "non firearm" (most, not all MLs) to take any conversion, I'm sure it's some sort of ATF thing that could be restricted somehow

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Jul 20, 2015
    Thus the Pardner.

It sounds like he wants a project, and.something unique.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Nov 21, 2012
    Bingo. I really like random projects like this. I'd say a large part of this is born from a shotgun thing I saw awhile back, where someone picked up a 12 gauge single shot for $100 or so, chopped the barrel to minimum length, chopped the stock to minimum length, and then picked up some of the Gun Adapters rifled adapters to shoot pistol rounds out of it. Not sure why, but I just love the idea of that. I'd say something like the 300blk might be a little more worth my time, simply because I reload ammo for it and could work up super light loads for squirrel, to light/cheap subsonic loads (currently working on a 150gr subsonic load for my AR), to a super sonic load for deer (110gr varminter rounds work well), to a heavy subsonic load. The versatility is intriguing to me.

The non firearm thing didn't really enter my mind when I originally had this idea. I'm not a prohibited person, so purchasing a firearm legally isn't an issue. Also, my guess to purchasing a muzzle loader and turning it into a firearm wouldn't be any different than using bar stock and blocks of aluminum to mill out and build an AR-15. It's perfectly legal, so long as you aren't prohibited from owning one to begin with. Not a lawyer, but that's the way I'd read it.
    Also, I've not had much luck finding CVA scouts, because that's the next thing that I looked into when I realized that Handi-rifles were discontinued.

I really like the H&R Pardner idea. Especially since it looks like used ones are fairly cheap. I think I'll look into that option.
    Any suggestions for barrel blanks?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Nov 21, 2012
    Correction, turning a muzzle loader into a center fire rifle is no different than turning a shovel into an AK-47.
    Legal, so long as you aren't a prohibited person.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Feb 18, 2009
    Sorry if I'm so blunt on this, but it's a really really stupid idea and if you do create this firearm, don't let anyone else shoot it but yourself. Certainly dont let any kids shoot it.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Why not a Thompson Center Contender with a rifle stock & carbine length barrel? A good trigger, open sights or optic ready, hammer safety, and marketable if you ever change your mind. ATF approved. I have a 21 inch barrel in 357 Maximum and it's a deer slayer, with only $180 in the barrel.

Top Bottom