• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Got around to playing with 3 different types of muzzle devices to see if I could tell a difference. Standard A2 birdcage, retro 5.5” flash hider, and a 5 port linear comp. 7CE795C1-4DBC-4FB0-A3DF-9D5263DBC96D.jpeg
    BD553C91-BD33-4860-8960-78F7FAB40DBC.jpeg
    I figured since the are all three quite different in design that maybe I would notice something. Tried them on my 16” M4 clone. As configured the M4 carbine length gas has somewhat more recoil than my mid length 14.5” and my rifle length 18”

In rapid succession I ran several rounds through each type of device, quickly changing them out. Took about 3 minutes to shoot all three devices.

Short and sweet is… no major difference between these three. Would probably have to run full auto to see any bigger differences.

A2 birdcage is still my favorite for weight / size/ performance

Linear comp is alright in my book. Much more pleasant to shoot than a muzzle break. However I couldn’t notice a difference between him and the A2 so very diminishing returns here.

The 5.5 flash hider changed the balance point a bit, sound was slightly different through my muffs. But basically the same as the other two. Obviously it’s out of place here. I normally use it when this upper is configured to more like an M16. Turns out a 16 inch barrel with this long flash hider can make a pseudo M16.
    0E1493DF-AD8D-4F19-9DED-55C943BDF9DA.jpeg

Any experiences with linear comps?
    Would like to hear your experiences with trial and error of other muzzle devices down below.

Last edited:

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    If you're looking for a .224 comp that works, take a good look at the JP Enterprises comp. Thing helps suppress both horizontal and vertical recoil, allowing for very past followup shots. However, you don't EVER want to be standing at the shooters left or right shoulders!!

If your looking for a good flash hider, the Smith Enterprises Vortex works very well. Kind of pricey, but works.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Got around to playing with 3 different types of muzzle devices to see if I could tell a difference. Standard A2 birdcage, retro 5.5” flash hider, and a 5 port linear comp. View attachment 223995
    View attachment 223996
    I figured since the are all three quite different in design that maybe I would notice something. Tried them on my 16” M4 clone. As configured the M4 carbine length gas has somewhat more recoil than my mid length 14.5” and my rifle length 18”

In rapid succession I ran several rounds through each type of device, quickly changing them out. Took about 3 minutes to shoot all three devices.

Short and sweet is… no major difference between these three. Would probably have to run full auto to see any bigger differences.

A2 birdcage is still my favorite for weight / size/ performance

Linear comp is alright in my book. Much more pleasant to shoot than a muzzle break. However I couldn’t notice a difference between him and the A2 so very diminishing returns here.

The 5.5 flash hider changed the balance point a bit, sound was slightly different through my muffs. But basically the same as the other two. Obviously it’s out of place here. I normally use it when this upper is configured to more like an M16. Turns out a 16 inch barrel with this long flash hider can make a pseudo M16.
    View attachment 224000

Any experiences with linear comps?
    Would like to hear your experiences with trial and error of other muzzle devices down below.
    Thanks for posting. I can't do these tests because with my hearing they all sound like BB gun going off.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was gonna say, if you fool around and start throwing higher dollar name brand comps on, you might start to notice a differerence in recoil, muzzle rise and sound direction.

Even the relatively cheap Miculek comp can make a noticable difference.

I have a 10.5" PSA upper with their flash can. I was quite happy that I could shoot the pistol with only ear plugs. The can seems to work well to push the concussion forward well enough to keep the, should be very noisy, gun shootable.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom