• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I guess my understanding of a mutual assistance group is as follows.
    Like minded individuals banding together to help each other out.

could be as simple as painting a fence with a guy one weekend. Next weekend the other guy comes over and helps you pack wheel bearings on a trailer. He learns how to paint you learn how to pack a bearing. That Sunday you watch the colts game on tv and have a couple cold ones let the kids play and the wives mingle. Hopefully they all get along.
    now there two like minded people with common goals and budding rel ationships.

a couple week pass and one guys AC QUITS WORKING. HE CALLS mag member two who knows nothing about AC UNITS but has a number in his phone for a guy down the road. Calls that guy and they show up and replace the capacitor. Now all three know about AC CAPACITORS. Two know how to paint and pack wheel bearings. everyone seems to like bowling so to a lane you go and roll.

People seem to think It is more than that and it does become that when needed. thus the like minded thing.

i don’t think large mags work because some become needy and greedy. In general people can suck.

2/3’s of my MAG PEOPLE i met by offering my help with a simple task like helping a stuck car get unstuck. Let things go from there.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    @jmarriott, exactly right.

The foundation is a group of like-minded people who can provide assistance or support to other members of the group. In addition to scenarios like the above, the MSG concept catered a little more towards a preparedness mindset. Teaching each other about canning, food storage, generators, animal husbandry, developing communications plans, fire building skills, shelter building, etc.

From this perspective, a group that supports each other and is active can raise funds for group buys, establish evacuation plans (bug out), train for various emergent responses, help each other with applicable “tool” skills and equipment (wink) and build a community that can come together after a disaster or... other occurrence.

What’s important is the right mindset for the entire group, and not getting into a group thinking it is, or developing into, you know, THOSE guys.

I’m an emergency management/disaster preparedness instructor so I tend to lean to that aspect, but the day-to-day assistance aspect is definitely not to be overlooked. In my current group of friends, I have a guy who is a green thumb and handy man, another guy who is a novice homesteader, one who is a mechanic, another is a heavy equipment operator, two ham/Comms guys and another who is an EMT and logistical wonder. We all help each other with various tasks that speak to our specialties and experience. Add in a mix of backpacking, bushcraft and other, uh, skills, we can support each other in an emergency.

I’ve actually been thinking about this for the last year, but I’ve kind of been waiting to see what the desire was around here, and honestly, seeing if we can get past some of the pettiness as of late. If folks are REALLY serious about learning more and being actively involved, I’d be happy to pick up the reins and get MSG2 rolling again. Hell, I can get everyone into a CERT class if they want a more formal organization.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I was very interested when Mike Glover started the whole American Contingency thing.
    Someone set up a few AmCon region 5 meetings, there were a few get togethers in Noblesville, I haven’t heard much since then. I have a crazy schedule and the times just didn’t work out for me, coupled with the fact that they had to migrate from Locals for comms to something else and I just didn’t follow along.
    There was a nice sized group, typical strong personalities but a very organized well spoken guy that was beginning to lead.
    I’ve always hoped that those guys that needed it stuck to it.
    But this goes to show that even with a good initial group with a lot of excitement behind it in a really turbulent time it’s tough to get traction.

Those above who have said it needs to happen organically are correct for sure, for the best results.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    In my experience working with groups like these, whether it be volunteers, clubs or non-profit charities, one avenue to take is to form smaller, more compartmentalized groups, about 8-10 members. Those groups sometimes see more interaction as the smaller group is easier to manage and folks don’t feel so inundated or get lost in the mix.

In an application like this, for example, you could break down Marion County to regional groups where members may be closer together and more likely to remain involved:

Townships:
    Perry
    Franklin
    Warren
    Lawrence
    Washington
    Pike
    Wayne
    Decatur

Towns:
    Speedway
    Southport
    Lawrence
    Beech Grove

In theory, let’s say that each of these groups had ten members, then that makes 130 people just in Marion County, with a “leadership” contingent of one member from each group, making a group of 13 to do direct coordination for planning. More than ten people in a township? Create a second group.

It’s an alternative to a large group, one that we’ve used in managing volunteers for emergency management. I think it’s also fairly similar to AmCon, and I know that it’s the foundation of the Freedom Cell Network.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I did attend a few larger gatherings and yes they can get I guess “political “.

MSG2 would be different to me than my MAG.

there are the people I chose to do life with.
    There are my MAG members (some of which fall into the above group. Then there are the other MAGs I know people in.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    In an application like this, for example, you could break down Marion County to regional groups where members may be closer together and more likely to remain involved:

Townships:
    Perry
    Franklin
    Warren
    Lawrence
    Washington
    Pike
    Wayne
    Decatur

Towns:
    Speedway
    Southport
    Lawrence
    Beech Grove

This sounds like the best way to go about it. It would also make much more sense if people needed "mutual support" that those in their group would actually be very close.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Want it, start it.

date/time/place, plan well in advance. Focus first meetings on getting to know each other and find common purpose

I met several solid guys from my efforts earlier in the year as part of American Contingency.

To have long term success with this, groups need to be organic and local.

We can pool resources on a broader level for training, practice and activities. A network of small groups.

At the start you need organizers more then leaders.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Want it, start it.

date/time/place, plan well in advance. Focus first meetings on getting to know each other and find common purpose

I met several solid guys from my efforts earlier in the year as part of American Contingency.

To have long term success with this, groups need to be organic and local.

We can pool resources on a broader level for training, practice and activities. A network of small groups.

At the start you need organizers more then leaders.

Are the AMCON people still meeting? Went to one, was really excited about what Mike was doing, but felt like things slipped through the cracks on both my and their ends.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I am not meeting anyone, and haven’t heard from anyone. Momentum slowed, real life creeps into.

it was nice meeting with you.
    I got my dog tag thing just a few weeks ago, haha. Still supporting, not involved though. Mike seems to really like to do livestream things on IG and what not, half the time I don’t have the bandwidth to load that, all the time I don’t have the time to watch many vids. Love his vision, implementation was not my style.
    Like you said, life can get in the way of everything not prioritized.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I got my dog tag thing just a few weeks ago, haha. Still supporting, not involved though. Mike seems to really like to do livestream things on IG and what not, half the time I don’t have the bandwidth to load that, all the time I don’t have the time to watch many vids. Love his vision, implementation was not my style.
    Like you said, life can get in the way of everything not prioritized.

Still haven't gotten mine, vetted but not "official." My opinion, when AMCON started it was more idea and not enough planning/preparation. I think the mostly peaceful insurrection changed his viewpoint on a lot of things. AMCON is his baby, so he gets to run it as he sees fit. Remember, it's really AMCON (c) not AMCON (non-profit.)

At the moment, my priority is, need to bolster preparations in case of ice storm and extended power outage. Heat and cooking being the 2 big needs.

Top Bottom