• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Willing to get to know people in the Madison/ Hamilton / handcuff county triangle.
    beech grove and westside can become regional outposts.

A true MAG is a wonderful thing.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Boy, does this bring back memories. Quite a few years ago, a number of us members had "MSG2" (Mutual Support Group 2, which was the INGO precursor to the MAG concept. MSG2 was the Central Indiana group) going, with some members who have since departed, and a few who are still around. What unfortunately happened was that too many took too much time to argue and nothing really got done that would benefit the group at large, besides one of the members hosting a great get-together at his place. From this initial meeting, many of us are still friends and have kept in close contact over the years.

As a person who oversees a large group of volunteers who operate under the preparedness mindset (Indianapolis DHS/CERT), groups like these are wonderful, but often suffer the problem of being too big and with too broad of a scope, and with not enough members willing to contribute to the success of the group.

There's a delicious irony to the fact that now is the time when we need to be moving past these silly arguments that pervade nearly every thread and continue to divide us. We all have more in common than we do in differences, and we're doing ourselves a disservice by not focusing our eyes far enough into the future but rather watching the carrot dangled in front of us. Some spend much more time trying to convince others that their viewpoint is right, rather than building the foundation for future preparedness. My personal outlook at this point: either agree, disagree, be part of the solution or get the heck out of the way.

Now, with all that said, I'm definitely for reinstating MSG2. I have some concerns and ideas about implementation, but I'm going to hold on to those until I see some more feedback here.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Boy, does this bring back memories. Quite a few years ago, a number of us members had "MSG2" (Mutual Support Group 2, which was the INGO precursor to the MAG concept. MSG2 was the Central Indiana group) going, with some members who have since departed, and a few who are still around. What unfortunately happened was that too many took too much time to argue and nothing really got done that would benefit the group at large, besides one of the members hosting a great get-together at his place. From this initial meeting, many of us are still friends and have kept in close contact over the years.

As a person who oversees a large group of volunteers who operate under the preparedness mindset (Indianapolis DHS/CERT), groups like these are wonderful, but often suffer the problem of being too big and with too broad of a scope, and with not enough members willing to contribute to the success of the group.

There's a delicious irony to the fact that now is the time when we need to be moving past these silly arguments that pervade nearly every thread and continue to divide us. We all have more in common than we do in differences, and we're doing ourselves a disservice by not focusing our eyes far enough into the future but rather watching the carrot dangled in front of us. Some spend much more time trying to convince others that their viewpoint is right, rather than building the foundation for future preparedness. My personal outlook at this point: either agree, disagree, be part of the solution or get the heck out of the way.

Now, with all that said, I'm definitely for reinstating MSG2. I have some concerns and ideas about implementation, but I'm going to hold on to those until I see some more feedback here.
    Wow. Well said.

I have a group of guys that I get together with, specifically to shoot and talk preparedness and then everything else and 7 of us can work through an a discussion. More, and it devolves quickly.

There needs to be a mechanism in place to keep that devolving from occurring. An agenda of sorts, and maybe a chair that has the authority to control the room. We are not naturally wired to want that, and people will only come back/get involved if there’s a good balance of productive discussion and free thought.
    I think you hit a key point, to build foundational things and not get into the weeds on details of belief. That’s when people start talking past each other in here, too.

Just some random thoughts on the subject, maybe it doesn’t have to be like this at all.

Think how this place would devolve if there were no mods, thankful for you guys!

We all are more alike than we are different.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    For those interested in the West side I believe there have been some meetings in the past at Parabellum. Their class room was made available and it was a great venue to talk as well as spend some time on the range. I'm in Bargersville area but usually there every week so that would possibly be of interest to me. If a group is interested I will be happy to forward ideas or requests to the owner there to see if something can be arranged. Feel free to PM me.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    For those interested in the West side I believe there have been some meetings in the past at Parabellum. Their class room was made available and it was a great venue to talk as well as spend some time on the range. I'm in Bargersville area but usually there every week so that would possibly be of interest to me. If a group is interested I will be happy to forward ideas or requests to the owner there to see if something can be arranged. Feel free to PM me.

I would definitely be game.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The MSG2 days were a good start up and some interesting conversations and thought came out of it. This forum had a few groups going several years back that were meeting and helping each other get better

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My MSG is small. We don’t hold real meetings. (We gather for food drinks or sporting events and such) two members (so called only really by me) just met two others even though ones chainsaw got the tree off the others garage and the others garden was tilled by the firsts tiller. They were part of a group who really did not know each other.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    The MSG2 days were a good start up and some interesting conversations and thought came out of it. This forum had a few groups going several years back that were meeting and helping each other get better
    Bro, blast from the past! Good to hear from you brother. Can you believe it was about ten years ago for that shindig?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

I'm in for MSG2(2).

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Sounds awesome. I tried to get info on the NW Indy area MSG a few years ago and was told by several that it didn't work and there wasnt any active group in the area. definitely interested.

Top Bottom