• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That just sux.

This house burnt recently in my neighborhood. Pine frame and vinyl siding, they are 80% gone by the time the fire dept gets there. This one was reported as a chimney fire, it melted the siding off the houses on either side.
    View attachment 126750

Even though we had our fireplace inspected a couple of years ago, I'm never using it again.
    Ours burned because of the refrigerator, are you going to use one of those again? We had a never used gas fireplace at the time, replaced it with a wood burning stove. :)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ours burned because of the refrigerator, are you going to use one of those again? We had a never used gas fireplace at the time, replaced it with a wood burning stove. :)
    I doubt you looked at your refrigerator and thought "That is a poor design, if I got it too cold it could malfunction".

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I doubt you looked at your refrigerator and thought "That is a poor design, if I got it too cold it could malfunction".
    Nope, sure didn't. When your fireplace was inspected, did the inspector say it was a poor design? Most chimney fires are a result of poor maintenance, not poor design.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Nope, sure didn't. When your fireplace was inspected, did the inspector say it was a poor design? Most chimney fires are a result of poor maintenance, not poor design.
    In fact, he told me how he had the same design in his home and runs big fires with seasoned hardwoods all the time.

You are correct, poor maintenance is the usual culprit in those situations. I simply don't have a lot of confidence in the design of the chimney in these houses. When these houses were built in the late 1990s an all brick chimney was an upgrade, an 8" pipe enclosed in a pine frame covered with vinyl siding was the standard construction. I have the latter. I'm sure it met whatever code was in place 25 years ago but there's really no room for error and with the fire dept. 10+ minutes away it's not a risk I wish to take.

009.jpg

Top Bottom