• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    Given the current situation with reloading supplies, I am curious of recommendations/ what you use for powders that would are suitable for multi calibers. General purpose shooting, not trying to put a round in a fleas ass @ 300 yds.

- 9mm and 45acp
    - 223 and 308

Lets hear it.
    *New to forum, hope this is in the right place.

mike21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Bright
    For pistol I use Sport Pistol, 231, or Unique. They are all very versatile.

For rifle I use CFE223, BL-C(2), or 335. Depending on bullet weights.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I use titegroup for pistol calibers (380, 9mm, 38 spcl, and 45acp) Use to run $20 per #

I have several powders I use for 223/556 & 308. I did find a powder I like that works well for both. Shooters World match rifle powder. I use to be able to get it at local gun shows for $20 per #. I do have a decent stash of it

Finding any powder now is going to be difficult and expensive

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I use titegroup for pistol calibers (380, 9mm, 38 spcl, and 45acp) Use to run $20 per #

I have several powders I use for 223/556 & 308. I did find a powder I like that works well for both. Shooters World match rifle powder. I use to be able to get it at local gun shows for $20 per #. I do have a decent stash of it

Im inclined to titegroup myself and will look into shooters world. I figured varget would be the go to for the rifles. But hey that's why I started this to get some others input promote options.

As for finding these supplies and their cost, thats the flip side to this coin.

Mostly wanting to acquire information so I can make the right choice when opportunities are available.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

Another vote for titegroup. Works for me in my applications.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    For modern bottle neck cartridges with jacketed bullets, and for whooshing cast bullets out of same without any accuracy destroying base deformation... yeah, BLC2 - H335 type powders (and even slower) can work quite well.
    In the late 70's and 1980-81 was doing the ground work to develop my ultimate wildcat cast bullet deer gun and when researching how to get good accuracy with soft alloys it was found that going against the conventional wisdom in the reloading manuals was what worked. So I became a fan of slow ball powders even if all of it didn't burn. By 1991 was using a 286 grain cast bullet and compressed WW760 with CC-250's.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    Did you see any issues resulting from incomplete burns? For instance excessive carbon/debris buildup in the barrel/chamber or decreasing accuracy after consecutive shots.

The rounds I would be crafting would be for a semi-auto platform.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I experience no significant build up. There are small amounts of powder granules not consumed that don't get sucked out of the bore. I wonder, in a semi-auto with unburned granules being dropped in the chamber as the empty cases are jerked backwards and then ironed in by the next cartridge slammed into battery, would it create a progressive significant build up and does gas leakage ignite and consume any ironed on granules? In the case of rapidly firing weapons there's a dynamic there of build up that would need to be tested to know how a load would work for you. I'm not a fella that particularly likes AR's and that has limited my experience. These days I'd just as soon shoot a .69 caliber rifled musket (I can see the holes in the target). There's probably someone to chime in here about carbon build up, low residue powder and how to prevent problems from lots of firing between cleanings. Maybe someone that had the task of maintenance in the military. I'd love to see what their experience had to say.

ZebLocke

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2013
    Anderson
    Titegroup is my go to for general purpose pistol loads. .44 mag/spl, .357/.38 spl., 45 ACP, and 9mm. "a little goes a long way" indeed.....

my runner ups for my GP loads: Unique, WIN231/HP38, Bullseye, Accurate #5

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    If I was limited to 2 powders that work well in the calibers you listed my choices would be Unique for pistols and Ramshot TAC for .223 and 308.

Unigue will load just about all common pistol calibers and TAC is very good in .223 and outstanding in .308 in my experience. I keep both on hand.

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I've had great success with CFE PISTOL in both 9mm and .45 ACP. Working on 4064 rifle powder in .223. I had awesome accuracy with it in .308. Hope it works in the .223 also.

76caprice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2020
    Franktucky
    There are several that you can use for sure. Look in a data book and find one to fit your applications! As mentioned above titegroup a little goes a long way. There are 7,000grains in 1lb of powder. I don’t load rifle but then again there are several you could learn that could work for your applications. Enjoy reloading is a hobby within a hobby of shooting!!!
    Have a nice day!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the replies, been able to aquire some titegroup, bl-c2,h4895, and reloaders 7. Also been able to get small and large pistol primers, but the every elusive SRP's have not been obtainable. Getting my 2x A2 rcbs press's geared up and ready to start chucking.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I really like Unique as a broad application pistol powder. IMO it's one of the best out there for revolver cartridges, but it can do good service for auto cartridges as well. I use other stuff, too, but it's nice to know that with a big jug of Unique around I can cover all of my bases in a pinch. I like HP-38, too, but I get more unburned powder in light loads with it than I do with Unique.

I haven't found a single rifle powder that I can use across the board. H335 probably comes closest...I use it for .223, .30-30, .308, and 6.5 Grendel. It's not such a great choice for my .30-06 Garand loads, though, or .45-70.

Top Bottom