• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I really like Unique as a broad application pistol powder. IMO it's one of the best out there for revolver cartridges, but it can do good service for auto cartridges as well. I use other stuff, too, but it's nice to know that with a big jug of Unique around I can cover all of my bases in a pinch. I like HP-38, too, but I get more unburned powder in light loads with it than I do with Unique.

I haven't found a single rifle powder that I can use across the board. H335 probably comes closest...I use it for .223, .30-30, .308, and 6.5 Grendel. It's not such a great choice for my .30-06 Garand loads, though, or .45-70.
    what bullets are you loading in .308 with the 335 that you are getting good results?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    what bullets are you loading in .308 with the 335 that you are getting good results?
    I've actually done very little loading for the .308. I don't own one, but I have access to an M14 that I was wanting to shoot, but had no ammo for. I had some 180gr spitzer bullets lying around that I had no other use for, and a bunch of H335, so I put together a load near the bottom end of the published data range on the Hodgdon website for that bullet.

They functioned fine in the gun, and I was able to get it zeroed. I didn't chronograph it because it was snowing, so I can't really speak to consistency...that will be a project for another day. Accuracy was not as good as I'd hoped (Right around 4.5" at 100yd), but I also didn't have that many of them to test, and it may well have been me (I'll blame it in the weather :-D). I didn't have a great day with my Garand, either...and I know that gun will do 2" at 100 if I do my part.

When I get time, I may put together some more of them, and break into my stash of Garand components, load some 147s over 4064 in the .308, and shoot a few groups to see if that load will do any better. I'd love to compare it to factory ammo, but that's not really an option since I can't find any right now.

dennismassie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    West Lafayette
    For me, Unique and 3031 are versatile powders. I use Unique in several pistol configurations, and 3031 in several rifle. Not the cleanest powders, but they do the job nicely, and definitely cut down on clutter in my powder cabinet.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I can only speak about handgun ammo so far, but I started out with Unique and Bullseye. That has been all I've used on 9mm, 40 s&w, .45 and .38 spec.

SgtFury

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Memphis
    I use titegroup for pistol calibers (380, 9mm, 38 spcl, and 45acp) Use to run $20 per #

I have several powders I use for 223/556 & 308. I did find a powder I like that works well for both. Shooters World match rifle powder. I use to be able to get it at local gun shows for $20 per #. I do have a decent stash of it

Finding any powder now is going to be difficult and expensive

SgtFury

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Memphis
    Have not been reloading, crappg time to start gathering supplies, but I have had great luck with 700x with .38, .357,9mm, .40, and .45.
    And it's a shotgun. Powder to boot

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Mostly for handgun=W-231/HP-38, UNIQUE, or CFE Pistol.

Mostly for rifle=CFE 223 or W-748.

If you have these you can load most any caliber=NOT the BEST for all, but usable..Bill.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    BE CAREFUL With your powder Numbers..

Somewhere on line there is a picture of (I Think a Bolt Gun??), that was DESTROYED , and I think?? injuries.

Some gun counter worker-IDIOT-Told a rookie reloader that H-110 powder could be used in place of H1000 for a large caliber rifle load.

This Noob reloader stuffed a large rifle case with H-110 and made MANY pieces of his rifle and scope+there was some blood involved..Bill.

Last edited:

SgtFury

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Memphis
    The rifle in pieces story is on my time everything I touch my reloading stuff! I stay on the low end of the load data, never want to be "that guy"

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    TiteGroup for most pistols. 380, 9mm, 38spl, 45ACP, 44 mag pistol range loads.
    LilGun for 44 mag rifle hunting and revolver hunting/defense, and 300BO.
    H4895 for 243 and can be used for many other rifle calibers.
    CFE223 for 223 and I'm going to try it for 204 when I get back into that caliber.

Xterminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    V.V n320, V.V n310, bullseye,titegroup,green dot,red dot, 231.. I've used them all for 9, 40 , 45s. They all go bang, some are cleaner burning & some not. Just keep an eye on your charge during lower , check charts for each powder. During this time use what you can find..

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Not much experience yet in reloading, but what I've used so far is W231 for 9mm & .45.
    I have alot of 8208XBR that I plan to use for .223/5.56. The 50 or so rounds I've made with the XBR grouped well
    and seems to be very clean burning. It supposedly has some of the best temp range stability of any rifle powder.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    BE CAREFUL With your powder Numbers..

Somewhere on line there is a picture of (I Think a Bolt Gun??), that was DESTROYED , and I think?? injuries.

Some gun counter worker-IDIOT-Told a rookie reloader that H-110 powder could be used in place of H1000 for a large caliber rifle load.

This Noob reloader stuffed a large rifle case with H-110 and made MANY pieces of his rifle and scope+there was some blood involved..Bill.
    Funnily enough I've actually considered using H110 as a common powder for both tokarev and AK rounds along with ~115 grain bullets for both (just need to find primer, powder and a mold for lead casting), but 70 grains of pistol powder is just asking for touble.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Funnily enough I've actually considered using H110 as a common powder for both tokarev and AK rounds along with ~115 grain bullets for both (just need to find primer, powder and a mold for lead casting), but 70 grains of pistol powder is just asking for touble.
    Thanks Kowboy..Yeah, for me, anytime you talk Pistol Powder in Rifle loads, I get WORRIED..
    It can be used, but you do need to use Dacron or some other filler to "Pack" the SMALL charge of pistol powder to the primer of a Rifle case. .NOT recommended for most Handloaders..??Bill.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    Thanks Kowboy..Yeah, for me, anytime you talk Pistol Powder in Rifle loads, I get WORRIED..
    It can be used, but you do need to use Dacron or some other filler to "Pack" the SMALL charge of pistol powder to the primer of a Rifle case. .NOT recommended for most Handloaders..??Bill.
    I just realized that H110 shouldn't be underloaded or bad things will happen.

Top Bottom