• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have noticed something this past week and my wife even made a comment of it. ABC, NBC and even the SPANISH news cable sometimes refer to I6BO as President Obama and at other times as Mr. Obama.

I don't recall the Bush was ever referred to as Mr. Bush? So what gives?
    Why the President and then Mr.? I have noticed that it's not just one reported but several if not all. Not sure why the difference or when it is used. Anyone else notice this?

fire1035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Something was brought up about this on Glenn Beck or some other such program a couple of weeks ago. The accepted way to go about it is to refer to the President as President such and such the first time in the article, news story, whatever. After that is is accepted in the realm of journalism to then refer to him by President, Mr. such and such, or just by such and such.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So how come I never heard it with Bush? I don't recall it with Clinton or Bush I either but my memory on those is much more vague.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I've heard it several times and noticed it with Bush.
    I first thought it was a disrespectful thing, not wanting to acknowledge Bush a President, rather as just Mr. Bush.

Do a search for Mr. Bush and you should find several hits.

But, yes it is strange why they switch from one to another :dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The accepted way to go about it is to refer to the President as President such and such the first time in the article, news story, whatever. After that is is accepted in the realm of journalism to then refer to him by President, Mr. such and such, or just by such and such.

This is correct, according to the AP Stylebook.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    TJ is absolutely correct. The Founding Fathers wanted to make sure that the President would not be made into a king; therefore they made it so the President would be addressed as Mr. President.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Thanks of course to the Father of our Country, General Washington. He was the one that settled on Mr. President while many wanted to give him great and illustrious titles.

Top Bottom